unable to remove the fill bolt on rear differential

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Read the write up on changing differential fluid. Very good as I changed the front differential. Tried to do the rear but unable to remove the rear fill bolt. The front came off just fine without using the 3" ratchet extender so I used it on the rear to see if that would help, no go. Any reason why there is an issue? I expected the concept to be the same as the front differential. Read the article several times before I started. Trying to do more things myself instead of giving the dealership $90 to suck out the old fluid and put in new fluid.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Drive your Jeep on the highway for a while and enough so that the rear end heats up. This will make it a lot easier to remove the bolt.

naysjp

Caught the Bug
Drive your Jeep on the highway for a while and enough so that the rear end heats up. This will make it a lot easier to remove the bolt.

Ah. Thanks Eddie. The write up was easy. I know this is nothing hard for people like you and the others, but I don't do a lot my own work and the last time I tried, it cost me $250.00 because the the first Jeepwouldn't pass smog. LOL. I'll try that.

Canadiancon

Take your 3/8 extension put it in the plug and give it a couple whacks with a hammer. Make sure to wear safety glasses.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Take your 3/8 extension put it in the plug and give it a couple whacks with a hammer. Make sure to wear safety glasses.

I would not recommend this and it's totally unnecessary. If the diff cover is hot, the bolt will come out.

Canadiancon

I would not recommend this and it's totally unnecessary. If the diff cover is hot, the bolt will come out.

Not trying to start a fight, but it's not always the case. I have had many many fill plugs not able to be broke loose unless smacked with a hammer. From excavator final drives, big rig diffs or pickup diffs. Even with them hot sometimes they won't break free, and being a 3/8 drive it's easy to strip them out. A small extension, glasses and a hammer will do zero damage to the plug or housing, but can save a guy some frustration.

I'm talking from experience, just trying to help a guy out because I've been there.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not trying to start a fight, but it's not always the case. I have had many many fill plugs not able to be broke loose unless smacked with a hammer. From excavator final drives, big rig diffs or pickup diffs. Even with them hot sometimes they won't break free, and being a 3/8 drive it's easy to strip them out. A small extension, glasses and a hammer will do zero damage to the plug or housing, but can save a guy some frustration.

I'm talking from experience, just trying to help a guy out because I've been there.

LOL!! Not trying to start a fight but using a hammer doesn't always work. If the plug really is that stuck that you need a hammer to free it up, the tip of your ratchet extension will break. Clearly, you are aware of this or else you wouldn't have recommended the use of safety glasses.

Me, I'm just a guy on the internet and have no experience in any of this wrenching stuff.

BTW, naysjp is a girl.

Andy5160

Hooked
LOL!! Not trying to start a fight but using a hammer doesn't always work. If the plug really is that stuck that you need a hammer to free it up, the tip of your ratchet extension will break. Clearly, you are aware of this or else you wouldn't have recommended the use of safety glasses.

Me, I'm just a guy on the internet and have no experience in any of this wrenching stuff.

BTW, naysjp is a girl.

As a suggestion i would torch the bolt. Any absolutely NO NO for this approach?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As a suggestion i would torch the bolt. Any absolutely NO NO for this approach?

Torching the bolt will cause it to EXPAND and make it harder to remove. If anything, you'd want to heat up the area around the bolt so that the diff cover expands making it easier for the bolt to come out.

If the bolt really is that stuck, a BETTER option is to use a pipe plug driver attached to a breaker bar. A ratchet and/or extension has a hollow square drive head to accommodate the bearing and spring inside that helps keep sockets in place. When you insert them into the fill plug, only half of the drive head will engage the bolt leaving the weakest part of it right at the edge. A pipe plug driver is SOLID and it will sit fully engaged on the breaker bar. This will allow you to apply even pressure until the bolt come free.

jesse3638

Hooked
Torching the bolt will cause it to EXPAND and make it harder to remove. If anything, you'd want to heat up the area around the bolt so that the diff cover expands making it easier for the bolt to come out.

If the bolt really is that stuck, a BETTER option is to use a pipe plug driver attached to a breaker bar. A ratchet and/or extension has a hollow square drive head to accommodate the bearing and spring inside that helps keep sockets in place. When you insert them into the fill plug, only half of the drive head will engage the bolt leaving the weakest part of it right at the edge. A pipe plug driver is SOLID and it will sit fully engaged on the breaker bar. This will allow you to apply even pressure until the bolt come free.

I'll be damned! I've never heard of such a thing so of course I had to plug it into the google machine. Viola! there it is. I always just though the square hole was for a ratchet or extension not a special socket designed to tighten and loosen plugs of that style. Learn something new everyday.

RTillery

X 2 on giving the plug a whack. I would also shoot some penetrating oil on it first and let it sit for a while. Warming can help too. Try them all and get it first try. I take plugs out of dyno drums that runs under water all the time. I always give them a whack with a big brass punch before I even try to break them loose. The shock helps crack the sticktion and the oil will help too. Let us know how it works.

Canadiancon

BTW, naysjp is a girl.

In 15 years of wrenching I have never had an extension break, ever. I would also recommend the use of safety glasses anytime work is being done.

My mistake on getting the gender wrong.

Anyways, I'll carry on with my day, someone was asking for advice and I gave an idea that I've always used, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. But like you I'm just a guy on the Internet.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
X 2 on giving the plug a whack. I would also shoot some penetrating oil on it first and let it sit for a while. Warming can help too. Try them all and get it first try. I take plugs out of dyno drums that runs under water all the time. I always give them a whack with a big brass punch before I even try to break them loose. The shock helps crack the sticktion and the oil will help too. Let us know how it works.

LOL!! Welcome back to WAYALIFE. Glad to see after almost a year, you decided to chime in on this thread with your expertise. Clearly, you're one to listen to :thumb:

In 15 years of wrenching I have never had an extension break, ever. I would also recommend the use of safety glasses anytime work is being done.

Anyways, I'll carry on with my day, someone was asking for advice and I gave an idea that I've always used, doesn't mean it will work for everyone. But like you I'm just a guy on the Internet.

Clearly, in your 15 years of wrenching, you've never worked on a fill plug that was really stuck.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

Well I can tell you in my 15+ years wrenching I've seen several break or more commonly after being hammered on the end becomes deformed causing the ball to stick.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

rlee

Why has no one suggested removing the cover? Really how do you inspect the rear? Even if you do get the drain plug loose how do you clean anything out, I mean it would be like doing half a service.

TrainWreck618

Caught the Bug
Why has no one suggested removing the cover? Really how do you inspect the rear? Even if you do get the drain plug loose how do you clean anything out, I mean it would be like doing half a service.

Coming in hot!

Welcome to Wayalife!!!

WJCO

Meme King

Welcome to the party. You ALWAYS remove the fill plug first. Because if you don't and then take the cover off and reinstall, if that plug is seized, your screwed.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I would make sure I could get the full plug out before I removed the cover. I normally do anyway even if it isn't stuck.

What do you do if you remove the cover and find that the full plug is stuck? You can't do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Draconianwinter

Hmm we had a few of those on some vehicles back when I was mechanic. My boss would spray them with liquid wrench then hit them with an impact. If it still didn't come lose he would pack dry ice stooping the diff and plug and let get really cold to try and cause the metal to shrink a little. Didn't have to do that maybe a couple times I worked there but it did work. Same freezing the sleeves for a diesel engine cylinder on a large truck to resleave the cylinders. Only problem is idk where you would even get the dry ice to do it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom