TeraFlex 3 inch lift HELP

Rubicon310

I need to help, recommendations and opinions. This will be a long one so please bare with me.

Let me start from the beginning....

2016 Rubicon Unlimited
Factory Mud Terrains and wheels for now
Stock driveshafts (front and rear)

I purchased a 3 inch TeraFlex kit with 4 adjustable Alpine Arms (front lowers & rear uppers), Fox shocks and front monster track bar. I am not a professional by no means, nor do I claim to be a mechanic or suspension expert. I have never installed a lift on a jeep before so this is all new to me.

As many of you know, most all lifts give you more lift than advertised. In my case a week after I installed the lift, I measured and was at approx 4 inches taller at all four corners. I am aware that the springs will eventually settle and should bring my lift to near 3.5 inches. I am okay with the 3.5 inches of lift or even 3 inches once I mount my front bumper and tire carrier.

Here is where I have run into the problems with TeraFlex's suspension.

Problem # 1 (Rear Shocks)

When I spoke to the TF rep at the Off-Road expo he said that Fox had recently changed the size of the rear shocks and made the 1-3 inch shocks shorter by 1 3/8 inch. He said they would not work for my 3 inch lift and he would sell me the 4-6 inch lift Fox shocks. I was okay with that as he's the pro, not me. The order was taken by Rebel Off Road, I paid and was on my way. Once the boxes arrived, I noticed I received the 1-3 inch shocks not the 4-6 inch. I called the TF rep and he said after further review, I would be fine with those shocks. Hmmmmm? Then I called the TF 800 number and spoke to 2 other guys they both said that the 1-3 will be too short and not work. They both said I needed the 4-6. I emailed the TF rep back and now he said, "yes, you are right. Those shocks will be too short on down travel." I measured the shock with the jeep under its own weight and I only have 1 inch of down travel before the shocks is at full extension. They are sending me the longer shocks but won't be available until after thanksgiving because they are on back order. Once I receive those, I need to make time to get to the shipping store and send the old ones back to them. Not sure how I feel about this whole ordeal. At least they are trying to make it right, I guess.

Fixed - TeraFlex is sending me longer shocks towards the end of this month.

Problem # 2 (Control Arms Rear)

I followed the instructions that were sent with the kit. The second problem I ran into was the Alpine arm lengths. I understand that the length numbers they supply are "good starting points" but the rear arms were about 1.5 inches longer than I needed them. This gave me a "sad face" at the rear pinion angle and a harsh vibration at 70 mph. I pulled them off and adjusted the pinion to be between 1-2 degrees difference from the driveshaft and axle. Once I adjusted the arms to the proper length, they were incredibly shorter than what is stated on their instructions sheets, not even close for a "good starting point".

Fixed - Adjusted pinion angle to be between 1-2 degrees. Vibration seems to have disappeared.

Problem # 3 ( Rear track bar bracket)

After adjusting the rear arms and getting the pinion angle dialed in, the bolt that attaches the factory track bar to the bracket they supply is now touching the driver side spring. Wtf! The contact is not a light scratch or 1/16 away, it is actually on the spring. With that spring moving up and down, it's going to really hit that bolt. Flipping the bolt in the opposite direction won't do anything to help because there is a washer below the head that will push the head out further and cause the same contact. Poor design? I guess I could lower the bolt to the middle hole but then my axle would stick out further to one side. I guess my only option is to get rid of that bracket and buy their monster rear track bar. :(

Not yet fixed - Ideas, suggestions or solutions? I'm thinking about just forking out the money to buy the rear bar from TF unless there's another fix using the track bar bracket supplied by them?

Problem # 4 (Control Arms Front)

Again, using the measurements they provided for the front lower arms, my caster is at 6 when measuring from the bottom of the C. Which means the other measurement at the differential should be 0. Where is the best place to measure caster? I know that wheel/ tire combo, weight of bumpers etc will make all jeeps different but what is a good recommendation? Should i adjust to 3/3, 4/2 or 5/1? I would like to get rid of the vibration I'm feeling in the front but also not have a crazy steering like I've read on forums. With a 4/2 reading, what should I expect the driveshaft to be at? I know caster is more important than pinion angle at the front but since I'll be adjusting my arms again today, I'd like as much input as possible. I have a crawler conceptz bumper that I will be installing later this week, it weighs approx 75 pounds. Should I install this before adjusting the caster?

I apologize for any dumb questions.

Thanks for the help!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, to assume the guys at TeraFlex are "experts" is laughable at best. I have worked with them in the past and have tested out many of their products over the last 10 years and I have always found their information and instructions to be troubling.

Regarding their coils, they will NOT sag or settle over time. ALL their coils yield WAY MORE lift than advertised and even after installing heavy bumpers, winches and being loaded down. Your 3" coils should be giving you well over 4" of lift and it will stay like that. This is a big reason why your shocks aren't working and why you need to go with significantly longer ones.

As far as control arm lengths go, what TeraFlex recommends is WAY OFF and I would correct them before addressing things like your track bar relocation bracket. The following link will take you to a write-up I did a while back and it should help you out:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up

6° of positive caster is nice to have but will lead to front drive line vibrations and that will eventually break your transfer case. You NEED to bring that back closer to a factory 4°. The link below will take you to another write-up I did that will help to show you how to do that:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Last but not least, if you followed TeraFlex's stupid instructions to add in cross caster, you'll want to make adjustments to your control arms to have it removed. You CANNOT add cross caster on a SOLID axle. The only thing that will do is create BIND that will destroy your joints prematurely or even break your axle housing.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Call Rebel!!!! They sold you the package.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nope, disagree. Log onto Wayalife and get the correct information, as stated above your post. While I have no dealings with Rebel Off Road and have nothing bad to say about them, I would stick with the opinions and expert knowledge on this website. There are a lot of mall crawlers here with a ton of experience.

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
NevadaZielmeister seems to me the OP said plenty.....about TF and Rebel whom he purchased the shocks from, to this date are still not correct.

HOPEFULLY...By Thanksgiving he will get the correct size ones.

I know how that goes when your waiting for a offshore container to show up.

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
NevadaZielmeister seems to me the OP said plenty.....about TF and Rebel whom he purchased the shocks from, to this date are still not correct.

My point was really that the OP would be best suited in getting good advise here instead of asking for help from the sales people who sold him the products that are "still not correct."

First off, to assume the guys at TeraFlex are "experts" is laughable at best. I have worked with them in the past and have tested out many of their products over the last 10 years and I have always found their information and instructions to be troubling.

Regarding their coils, they will NOT sag or settle over time. ALL their coils yield WAY MORE lift than advertised and even after installing heavy bumpers, winches and being loaded down. Your 3" coils should be giving you well over 4" of lift and it will stay like that. This is a big reason why your shocks aren't working and why you need to go with significantly longer ones.

As far as control arm lengths go, what TeraFlex recommends is WAY OFF and I would correct them before addressing things like your track bar relocation bracket. The following link will take you to a write-up I did a while back and it should help you out:
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up

6° of positive caster is nice to have but will lead to front drive line vibrations and that will eventually break your transfer case. You NEED to bring that back closer to a factory 4°. The link below will take you to another write-up I did that will help to show you how to do that:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3861-Basic-Do-it-Yourself-Jeep-JK-Wrangler-Front-End-Alignment

Last but not least, if you followed TeraFlex's stupid instructions to add in cross caster, you'll want to make adjustments to your control arms to have it removed. You CANNOT add cross caster on a SOLID axle. The only thing that will do is create BIND that will destroy your joints prematurely or even break your axle housing.

I have the 6" Teraflex Longarm setup on mine and we had to make a ton of changes after installing it to the instructions specifications. The thing wouldn't drive straight down the road, it was all out of whack.

ROBnTANK

Yes you will need the longer shocks. I just installed the 4-6inch shocks and they go perfectly with my EVO 3inch left.

You need to look at replacing your front DS sooner then later. Make this a priority.

When I first began installing my own lifts I only went only with Teraflex, now I know better. Stay away from their crappy shit. This forum has a lot of useful information, most people will not run their China made crap.

Rubicon310

Start here maybe, but also please post pictures of the TB bolt that is hitting the spring.

Thank you for the link! Very good information. I will be posting the picture hopefully by the end of the day.

Eddie, Thank you for all of the information you have provided. Unfortunately, I relied on the instructions sent with the kit, emails exchanged between myself and the TF rep that I spoke with at the Off-Road expo and telephone conversations I had with a couple different TF reps when I called their 800 number. People like the members of this forum are best suited to provide the necessary information and now I know where to get the correct help/ info from.

The control arms have now been adjusted to give me 1-2 degree difference of pinion angle in the rear and the front lowers have been adjusted to give me 4 degree castor and 2 degree at the flat spots on the axle housing. What I did notice when adjusting the front was that the passenger side seemed slightly off compared to the driver side. I had the exact same measurement on both arms but the passenger side wouldn't line up unless I lowered the floor jack slightly? Weird. With the new adjustment, it also threw my steering wheel off center slightly. Ill adjust that later today.

With the coils giving me 4 inches of lift, I know you guys have stated I need to look into the driveshaft. What is the best recommendations you guys think will work on my rig? Again, no crazy boulder crawling and max tire size will be 35's.

Call Rebel!!!! They sold you the package.

I actually did contact them first, but he Rebel Off Road rep sent the TF rep an email and cc'ed me on it. As if to clear himself from having to send the correct shocks. Its all good, TF said they will send me the new pair, unfortunately, it wont be till after thanksgiving. Sucks.

My point was really that the OP would be best suited in getting good advise here instead of asking for help from the sales people who sold him the products that are "still not correct."

Yes! I agree! You guys here have been very helpful and haven't bashed me for purchasing TF. If I could do it again, I probably wouldn't go with this company for the suspension.

Yes you will need the longer shocks. I just installed the 4-6inch shocks and they go perfectly with my EVO 3inch left. You need to look at replacing your front DS sooner then later. Make this a priority. When I first began installing my own lifts I only went only with Teraflex, now I know better. Stay away from their crappy shit. This forum has a lot of useful information, most people will not run their China made crap."

Yes, TF is mailing them in the next couple of weeks. What could I expect to happen if the DS is not replaced soon? The top angle of the ds is pretty steep. Am I at risk for breaking something other than the ds? What are your thoughts on the reprezza kit that TF sells? Do other companies offer a better quality? Id like to stay away from TF.

Again, thank you to all that have chimmed in to provide information. I will have more questions in the near future and Ill post some pics of my rig soon.

Last edited:

Heavyhaul07

I personally haven't seen the front drive shaft break at the rezapa joint. As others have said try like hell to stay away from tf. As for a front drive shaft. Je reel, coast driveshafts, or Adams driveshaft, most on here seem to use one of the 3. I run a Adams 1310 front shaft I'd use them again in a heartbeat but I'd go with their 1350 shaft.

Rubicon310

HOPEFULLY...By Thanksgiving he will get the correct size ones.

I know how that goes when your waiting for a offshore container to show up.

Half way through December, still no shocks [emoji35]

Rubicon310

Yup

Some back order crap explanation from TF. Shipping date has been switched 3 times by Fox to TF.

TF rep claims they have 200 shocks to ship out and they still hadn't received the order from Fox. This was about 1 week ago. [emoji57]

JeepJeep75

That really sucks that a lift kit out of the box is giving you such grief. You should immediately stop getting advice from their sales people and start looking here for any questions you may have. It'll take some doing, but you can make that shit work. Chances are though you will replace most of the "kit" with stuff that works as it should. Chalk this up to being a "learning" experience. And for the sake of your sanity, stay away from TF! They have great marketing videos, and Brook is a mega hottie (![emoji8]!) but as you will and are learning, not all lifts are the same. Some just plain SUCK. Keep us updated on your progress with sorting out these problems you're having. Good luck![emoji256][emoji106]

Top Bottom