struts vs coilovers

JK1

talked to a neighbor that is trying to talk me into ori struts for my JKU... he puts up a good argument about easy to adjust, no bump stops. no limiting straps...and i thought he said i could run with out a sway bar...:thinking:... what do you guys think i can honestly say i have never heard or seen anyone run these on a JK but the buggy guy love them:beer:

biggy

talked to a neighbor that is trying to talk me into ori struts for my JKU... he puts up a good argument about easy to adjust, no bump stops. no limiting straps...and i thought he said i could run with out a sway bar...:thinking:... what do you guys think i can honestly say i have never heard or seen anyone run these on a JK but the buggy guy love them:beer:

As I meantioned on the other forum they are good up to 6000 lb so with a fully loaded jku you would need to run a dual setup which would cost a ton plus the fab work to make it all work.

JK1

As I meantioned on the other forum they are good up to 6000 lb so with a fully loaded jku you would need to run a dual setup which would cost a ton plus the fab work to make it all work.
lol yeah something is wrong with my account over there and i cant get logged in... but i was reading that 1900lb per do i need more than that??

biggy

lol yeah something is wrong with my account over there and i cant get logged in... but i was reading that 1900lb per do i need more than that??

From what I understand they dont recommend them for more then a 6000 lb vehicle unless you run a dual setup. I know my jku is damn close to that figure. Ive seen them in action on a toyota pu and they have some insane flex amd they look cool too:rock: Seems like a lot of buggy's run them.

JK1

From what I understand they dont recommend them for more then a 6000 lb vehicle unless you run a dual setup. I know my jku is damn close to that figure. Ive seen them in action on a toyota pu and they have some insane flex amd they look cool too:rock: Seems like a lot of buggy's run them.
i got the guy that is a local rep checking on the weight but i'm thinking if it works i may try them.... worse case i will have a set of struts for sale and go to coil overs lol but your right they do look badass and a will flex a crap load:thumb:

JK1

What's the cost on them?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

he said they would be 500-600 a piece for the 14" ones he has 20" on his buggy.. once i get a exact quote i will let you know

Last edited:

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
he said they would be 500-600 a piece for the 14" ones he has 20" on his buggy.. once i get a exact quote i will let you know

I would go with a proven King coilover for the JK before I would spend that kinda cash

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would go with a proven King coilover for the JK before I would spend that kinda cash

Holy cow, no kidding. At least with Kings, you know for sure what you're getting.

JK1

Holy cow, no kidding. At least with Kings, you know for sure what you're getting.

unless I'm wrong the king bolt is it like 3800 for the front and rear without bump stops :thinking: compared to $2000-2400 and they adjust easier and i dont need bumps
i could be completely wrong but I'm just going off what the rep is saying:idontknow:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
unless I'm wrong the king bolt is it like 3800 for the front and rear without bump stops :thinking: compared to $2000-2400 and they adjust easier and i dont need bumps
i could be completely wrong but I'm just going off what the rep is saying:idontknow:

That 3800 includes all the mounts and addition hardware you'd need including sway bar links, extended brake lines, etc. I should also note that you don't need new bump stops with coil overs and you don't need limiting straps. How exactly are you going to install these wonderful struts? How exactly are they easier to adjust than coil overs?

Atch

The kit comes with bumpstops

Skid_Kid

That 3800 includes all the mounts and addition hardware you'd need including sway bar links, extended brake lines, etc. I should also note that you don't need new bump stops with coil overs and you don't need limiting straps. How exactly are you going to install these wonderful struts? How exactly are they easier to adjust than coil overs?

I know this is a little off topic from the thread but... What was the final price of RubiCAT's suspension? Is there a build list? Yes I love the stance and occasionally drool over her.

JK1

well that is a excellent question you have alot of good questions..lol... i'm just going off a guy that i just met and the fact that he has them on his rig and has ran coil overs before... i have ran neither so i have no idea that is why i'm posting this to get more info... and i would pry be welding towers for them....

SoCalDozer

I remember reading about these awhile back, I know for adjusting them all you do is add or remove nitrogen and that is it. they have internal bumpstops but I wouldnt trust them for anything but the slow stuff.
And since they are basically an air shock from my understanding they would probably suck as a DD or on anything but a crawler.
But none the less it would be a pretty cool set up and very simple.
Still would have to buy coilover mounts though which is another 1000 bucks so they cost about the same as coilovers

Edit:
after reading a little more on ORI website they seem to be pretty advanced.
They are internal bypass struts with built in hydraulic bumps and a hydraulic cushion at the end of stroke for when the suspension "drops out" on jumps.
Also available with reservoirs for extra cooling so they probably arent to bad for desert driving either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom