SkyJacker or Full Traction

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The guys who run Skyjacker are really nice and I like them a lot but, the quality of their products simply isn't there. I don't know anyone who's run their stuff in the past and still has it on their Jeep today. As far as Full-Traction goes, I have personally run that kit and can tell you that it's made extremely well and is a great kit. Now that they use bonded rubber bushings at the frame mounts, it's pretty much squeak free and maintenance free. The only reason why I switched it out is because it couldn't handle the amount of flex I get with my EVO coil overs but, no other long arm kit out there can. If you're just sticking with traditional coils and shocks, you would be good to go with it.

TrailBear

Just by look the full traction looks to be a little beefier, the control arms look to be heavier built.

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
The guys who run Skyjacker are really nice and I like them a lot but, the quality of their products simply isn't there. I don't know anyone who's run their stuff in the past and still has it on their Jeep today. As far as Full-Traction goes, I have personally run that kit and can tell you that it's made extremely well and is a great kit. Now that they use bonded rubber bushings at the frame mounts, it's pretty much squeak free and maintenance free. The only reason why I switched it out is because it couldn't handle the amount of flex I get with my EVO coil overs but, no other long arm kit out there can. If you're just sticking with traditional coils and shocks, you would be good to go with it.

I was thing about going with the EVO COIL OVERS, what lift and how much would you recommend. I am more than likely going to be retiring back in the Phoenix, AZ area and would like to build my JK the right way the first time. I was looking at a 6 inch lift. I really enjoyed four wheeling in Sedona, AZ and other locations around the Arizona area.

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
I would echo much of what WOL said. I had the FT 3" coils with full adjustable short arms. And they are built tough. Period. I now run the evo bolt on coilovers and kept the all the FT arms on. They are handling the extra flex very well, but I don't have the amount of flex that WOL has because he's running the the Evo DTD and longer coilovers that has much more flex.

Jersey_Devil

Everybody always bad mouths Skyjacker on here and jkf and I don't know why.... The only other brand of lift I ever had was a Rancho cause I bought the jeep with it already installed..... I've owned 6 different vehicles that I put Skyjacker lifts in and I NEVER had any problems or complaints about quality of parts. I love Skyjacker and im gonna keep buying from them. This is just my experience tho..... Good luck with ur build, I hope u get everything u want! Those coilovers wll be SWEET!

Happy Jeepin!

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Full Traction is a good kit, but just know their customer service is sub-par. I don't have any experience with SkyJacker but my buddy has one on his TJ and it is pretty crappy. He calls it his SkyCrapper lift.

If you can go with EVO coilovers do it! They ride like a dream. I've driven my buddy's JKUR with 37's and it rode soft and sweet. As far as loft goes, you can adjust ride height so you can go taller if you like, but having a lower center of gravity is best. They are now in my build list. You can run stock arms with the coilovers, only requirement is 3.25" backspacing.

Tackerdown

Banned
I should research this my self but I'm drinking and being lazy sorry. :beer: I have a 2.5 bb spacer kit could i use these coil overs with my set up.and adjust my height?:thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I was thing about going with the EVO COIL OVERS, what lift and how much would you recommend. I am more than likely going to be retiring back in the Phoenix, AZ area and would like to build my JK the right way the first time. I was looking at a 6 inch lift. I really enjoyed four wheeling in Sedona, AZ and other locations around the Arizona area.

First off, how big of a tire are you hoping to run? 6" is A LOT OF LIFT and not something I prefer to run even though I run 40" tires. If you really are thinking about running EVO coil overs, I would highly recommend that you run their long arms as well as they are designed to handle the BIG flex their coil overs provide. If you're only planning on running 37's, I might recommend something like a Currie or Clayton short arm kit as their arms are designed to handle big flex too. With 37's, you can get by with a 3.5" lift so long as you trim your fenders or run flat fenders and at that height, short arms will work just fine.

Everybody always bad mouths Skyjacker on here and jkf and I don't know why.... The only other brand of lift I ever had was a Rancho cause I bought the jeep with it already installed..... I've owned 6 different vehicles that I put Skyjacker lifts in and I NEVER had any problems or complaints about quality of parts. I love Skyjacker and im gonna keep buying from them. This is just my experience tho..... Good luck with ur build, I hope u get everything u want! Those coilovers wll be SWEET!

Happy Jeepin!

I hope you don't misunderstand my comments regarding Skyjacker's products as "badmouting" because I am simply stating what I have seen. Every single person I've known who's had their kit does not have it on their Jeep anymore. Most of these people had suffered breaks to their track bar mounts due to the design of their brackets, have suffered spring sag and significant squeaking due to the polyuretane bushings they like to use. If you've not had any issues with their products, perhaps they've made changes to improve things.

Terra-flex ....

Unfortunately, their bushing cannot handle the kind of flex that EVO coil overs offer.

Tackerdown

Banned
I just wanted to throw out another thanks to you guies. unfortunately my kids aren't at a stage where they read up on all this stuff , on the other hand I do but still don't know just how each part play hand in hand with each other yet. With that said I've got enough understanding to tell my kids to check on this or that when they say I want to do this.
Thanks,:thumbup: awsome sight.

C.O.D.

mgmavant

How does the Rock Kraweler arms compare to the Full Traction arms?

Sent from my MB886 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
How does the Rock Kraweler arms compare to the Full Traction arms?

Sent from my MB886 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I am not a fan of polyurethan bushings as they require a lot of greasing in order to keep them squeaking like a banshee and that's what RK uses for their frame side joints. FT used to use them in their old control arms too and finally changed them out to clevite bushings a few years back.

JeepFan

Hooked
I’ve been running the 4” Full Traction long arm kit with a set of 37” Falken Wildpeaks on my JKU for almost 2 years. Here is a short list of some of the trails it’s been on: Rubicon, Several trails in Moab, Clawhammer (Hammers), Dishpan, Bullfrog, Holcomb Creek, Last Chance Canyon, Nightmare Gultch and Swamp Lake and most recently Sidewinder trail along with many others, some numerous times.

The Jeep has run this lift for 32000 miles and only one thing broke. The left front lower control arm Clevite bushing on the cross member side failed. Repair cost $20. This included $6 for the bushing and labor to have it pressed on the control arm.
Overall this kit has performed well and I have been very happy with it. Steve at FT has been very good to me and I appreciate all the time he spent explaining the benefits of running his long arm kit. Here is a list of the pros and cons I have experienced since the kit was installed.

Pros IMHO:

1. Extremely Durable
2. Good handling for a coil spring suspension
3. Good ride characteristics on the highway
4. Good flex for a coil spring suspension
5. Low maintenance cost
6. Completely bolt on kit
7. Absolutely no bump steer

Cons IMHO:

1. Rear lower control arm brackets hang down too low. You will be dragging them over rocks at some point. However, they have held up well and can take a beating.
2. You will lose about 2” of ground clearance at the cross member compared to some other lift kits. This is because the kit comes with a new cross member that the front lower control arms bolt to. However, the cross member comes with a skid plate that offers excellent protection to vital suspension components and the cross member. The skid plate is available separately if you ever need to replace it.
3. The kit comes with a drop pitman arm. Two problems I have personally experienced with this are excess stress on the sector shaft caused the sector shaft bushing to wear and develop side-to-side play. This resulted in a loose feeling in the steering and a slight fluid leak when turning under extreme off road situations. :eek: Your Jeep will be extremely hard to steer when crawling over rocks. :yup: I have since upgraded the steering to a PCS ram assist and installed an EVO sector shaft brace and love it. If you decide to get the kit, talk to your installer about a drag link flip kit. Either way you go, eventually you will want to upgrade your steering. It makes a huge difference, believe me! Very important. Regularly check the pitman arm nut torque. The nut WILL come loose over time.

Other items I recommend you consider (with and lift kit you buy):
1. Lower control arm skids (axle side)
2. Front axle gussets
3. Front axle sleeves or backbone truss
4. EVO engine oil pan and trans pan skid plates

This pic will give you and idea of how much flex to expect if you run a set of Bilstein 5100 series shocks.

IMG_9013.jpg

I’m currently saving money for the EVO bolt on coil over kit because from what I’ve seen what this kit can do on the trail and what I’ve heard on how well the Jeep rides after having it installed, my back will thank me. 

Good luck with your Jeep and post some pics. :thumb:

monstrousmac

Caught the Bug
I’ve been running the 4” Full Traction long arm kit with a set of 37” Falken Wildpeaks on my JKU for almost 2 years. Here is a short list of some of the trails it’s been on: Rubicon, Several trails in Moab, Clawhammer (Hammers), Dishpan, Bullfrog, Holcomb Creek, Last Chance Canyon, Nightmare Gultch and Swamp Lake and most recently Sidewinder trail along with many others, some numerous times.

The Jeep has run this lift for 32000 miles and only one thing broke. The left front lower control arm Clevite bushing on the cross member side failed. Repair cost $20. This included $6 for the bushing and labor to have it pressed on the control arm.
Overall this kit has performed well and I have been very happy with it. Steve at FT has been very good to me and I appreciate all the time he spent explaining the benefits of running his long arm kit. Here is a list of the pros and cons I have experienced since the kit was installed.

Pros IMHO:

1. Extremely Durable
2. Good handling for a coil spring suspension
3. Good ride characteristics on the highway
4. Good flex for a coil spring suspension
5. Low maintenance cost
6. Completely bolt on kit
7. Absolutely no bump steer

Cons IMHO:

1. Rear lower control arm brackets hang down too low. You will be dragging them over rocks at some point. However, they have held up well and can take a beating.
2. You will lose about 2” of ground clearance at the cross member compared to some other lift kits. This is because the kit comes with a new cross member that the front lower control arms bolt to. However, the cross member comes with a skid plate that offers excellent protection to vital suspension components and the cross member. The skid plate is available separately if you ever need to replace it.
3. The kit comes with a drop pitman arm. Two problems I have personally experienced with this are excess stress on the sector shaft caused the sector shaft bushing to wear and develop side-to-side play. This resulted in a loose feeling in the steering and a slight fluid leak when turning under extreme off road situations. :eek: Your Jeep will be extremely hard to steer when crawling over rocks. :yup: I have since upgraded the steering to a PCS ram assist and installed an EVO sector shaft brace and love it. If you decide to get the kit, talk to your installer about a drag link flip kit. Either way you go, eventually you will want to upgrade your steering. It makes a huge difference, believe me! Very important. Regularly check the pitman arm nut torque. The nut WILL come loose over time.

Other items I recommend you consider (with and lift kit you buy):
1. Lower control arm skids (axle side)
2. Front axle gussets
3. Front axle sleeves or backbone truss
4. EVO engine oil pan and trans pan skid plates

This pic will give you and idea of how much flex to expect if you run a set of Bilstein 5100 series shocks.

View attachment 13335

I’m currently saving money for the EVO bolt on coil over kit because from what I’ve seen what this kit can do on the trail and what I’ve heard on how well the Jeep rides after having it installed, my back will thank me. 

Good luck with your Jeep and post some pics. :thumb:

I really appreciate all the advice. I have been Stationed in Europe for the last 14 years, so I have not been able to really see first hand any JKU's with the new lifts available. 99% of the people in Europe run them stock. I currently have a 2 inch BB by Rubicon Express and JKS quick disconnects with Bilstein 5160 shocks. I have 33x12.5R17 tires Dick Cepek Mud Country tires. I also installed the Best Top High Rock 4x4 Stub bumper. I also bought a low end winch from Harbor Freight. I bought their 6,000lbs Bad Land Winch because it is the only winch I could find that was 70lbs or less. USPS priority mail has a wight limit of 70lbs and all of the Warn Winches were 87lbs or more. I only payed 189 dollars for it they had a 20% Christmas discount plus a 15% military discount on it. I figure for a 189 dollars that isn't to bad even if I use it once to get out of a jam. Cheaper then getting a German to do it. I also, installed a yellow top Optima Battery. So, little by little.

NAUJK

Just a quick question bout the Bolt on Coil-overs by EVO since its being discussed here.

I keep hearing about people running those with the stock arms, I know it is advised to get new ones with them but, it wouldn't be the end of the world running the coil-overs with stock arms, and adjustable trac bars?

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Just a quick question bout the Bolt on Coil-overs by EVO since its being discussed here.

I keep hearing about people running those with the stock arms, I know it is advised to get new ones with them but, it wouldn't be the end of the world running the coil-overs with stock arms, and adjustable trac bars?

You can run stock arms however you really ought to replace the rear upper and lower fronts with adjustable arms. I am looking to run that setup and like the Currie arms with Johnny Joints.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
You can run stock arms however you really ought to replace the rear upper and lower fronts with adjustable arms. I am looking to run that setup and like the Currie arms with Johnny Joints.

True, on the 4 door you can get away without rear uppers 👌

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom