Front Driveshaft repair?

InnaJeep

Hey guys, I recently destroyed the boot on my stock front driveshaft. I'm kinda strapped for cash so I was hoping there was a possibility of fixing the stock one and throwing it back in for at least awhile until i can afford an aftermarket upgrade. Has anyone heard of these being repaired? Talked to Jeep and they were saying it was a one-piece setup and wanted to charge me a crap ton for a replacement. If it's not repairable, would it be worth buying a stock one for the time being or should i just go ahead and wait for an upgraded one? Biggest problem right now is having 2WD and not being able to go wheeling.:grain:

EDIT: Just for clarification, it's not this that's broken:
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 10.49.42 AM.png
It's this:
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 10.50.40 AM.png

Attachments

• shafts.jpg
    shafts.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
While there are kits now that will allow you to replace the boot, I personally wouldn't bother as you'll just end up tearing it again - trust me. You can run with your drive shaft as is for quite some time before it becomes a problem and if it were me, I would just do that until you can save up enough to buy a replacement aftermarket shaft.

InnaJeep

While there are kits now that will allow you to replace the boot, I personally wouldn't bother as you'll just end up tearing it again - trust me. You can run with your drive shaft as is for quite some time before it becomes a problem and if it were me, I would just do that until you can save up enough to buy a replacement aftermarket shaft.

I would leave it but it makes a god awful metal grinding noise (probably because all the grease in the boot came out) and i just don't really feel comfortable using it like that. So i guess I'll just save for an upgrade and suck it up till then. :crybaby:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would leave it but it makes a god awful metal grinding noise (probably because all the grease in the boot came out) and i just don't really feel comfortable using it like that. So i guess I'll just save for an upgrade and suck it up till then. :crybaby:

LOL!! How long has it been torn? If it's making grinding noises now, replacing the boot won't fix anything.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just clicked on the link and yes, that kit does come with new bearings and you can fix your problem with it. However, at that price, you're almost half way to a new aftermarket shaft and really, that's the real answer you should be looking at. If I were you, I might see if there's someone on here or in your area that can give or sell you a used front shaft to hold you over if you really need to go wheeling. Hell, if I still had one around, I would give it to you. If not, I personally would just pull the shaft and buy the right solution when you can afford it.

InnaJeep

Sorry my friend but what you're hearing are fried bearings. You need a new shaft, NOW.

Until you can afford one, I would pull the shaft and drive your Jeep as a 2WD vehicle.
Ive already pulled it and I've been driving it 2WD and it makes me sad lol

Just clicked on the link and yes, that kit does come with new bearings and you can fix your problem with it. However, at that price, you're almost half way to a new aftermarket shaft and really, that's the real answer you should be looking at. If I were you, I might see if there's someone on here or in your area that can give or sell you a used front shaft to hold you over if you really need to go wheeling. Hell, if I still had one around, I would give it to you. If not, I personally would just pull the shaft and buy the right solution when you can afford it.

Sounds good man, I'll look into finding a stock one until I can afford an upgrade. Thanks for your help!!

EDIT: my rig has a 3" lift, could that have been the problem? Too much of an angle for the stock DS?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ive already pulled it and I've been driving it 2WD and it makes me sad lol

Sounds good man, I'll look into finding a stock one until I can afford an upgrade. Thanks for your help!!

EDIT: my rig has a 3" lift, could that have been the problem? Too much of an angle for the stock DS?

Being that you have a 2 door, yes that could have been a big part of the issue. At that height new front shaft is needed and a rear shaft is strongly recommended

Unfortunately I purchased a teracrap cv joint replacement about 6 monhs ago, already tore my boot had to take it off. It wasn't worth the money. Also you needed a special tool to get it on and off so if something happens on the trail and you don't have that you're screwed.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

YES. At that height, your front drive shaft will sit at a steep enough angle that the rzeppa boot will be in a constant state of pinch. As you have found, this will cause it to fail. Once that happens, there's nothing to keep the grease inside and it's just a matter of time before the bearings fry. Being that you have a 2-door, your rear shaft will fail sooner than later too. The proper solution is to replace the shafts with u-joint style ones. The rear will also require you to get adjustable upper control arms so that you can set the pinion angle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I purchased a teracrap cv joint replacement about 6 monhs ago, already tore my boot had to take it off. It wasn't worth the money. Also you needed a special tool to get it on and off so if something happens on the trail and you don't have that you're screwed.

Well that's a bummer. If I were you, I would start saving for a proper replacement shaft.

InnaJeep

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm going to stay 2WD till I can afford a proper upgrade. Speaking of which, I don't want a crazy J.E. Reel or Adams "EXTREME DUTY HURR DURR" driveshaft. I just want an upgrade over the stock ones that won't break under occasional moderate 4wheeling. Any suggestions? I've searched around a bit and it seems like there aren't many "in between" options.

frenchjk

Caught the Bug
Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I'm going to stay 2WD till I can afford a proper upgrade. Speaking of which, I don't want a crazy J.E. Reel or Adams "EXTREME DUTY HURR DURR" driveshaft. I just want an upgrade over the stock ones that won't break under occasional moderate 4wheeling. Any suggestions? I've searched around a bit and it seems like there aren't many "in between" options.

maybe through synergy etc you can get a cheap shaft. However skimping on an important mechanical element of the drivetrain is a very bad idea IMHO. I'd save up and go for Tom Woods or something like that...

Good luck to OP hope you get your new DS soon.

Question for the experts here, on the rear with new upper control arms to dial pinion angle in, is there any concern with oil level in the diff to ensure proper oil bath for proper lubrication.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King

Question for the experts here, on the rear with new upper control arms to dial pinion angle in, is there any concern with oil level in the diff to ensure proper oil bath for proper lubrication.

I would think that new upper arms would cause the axle to come back close to stock position if anything, but even if not, I couldnt see any small amount of fluid difference there cause an issue. I've seen a ton of differentials come into the shop with pretty low fluid yet still have bearings showing signs of adequate lubrication.

I would think that new upper arms would cause the axle to come back close to stock position if anything, but even if not, I couldnt see any small amount of fluid difference there cause an issue. I've seen a ton of differentials come into the shop with pretty low fluid yet still have bearings showing signs of adequate lubrication.
Thanks, good point on what the adjustable upper arms will do, never looked at it that way. Guess if one was real paranoid on fluid level, you could add a bit down the overflow tube.

Cheers

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Pinion angle or diff cover makes no difference in how much fluid you can or need to run. You just need to make sure that the fluid level sits at the base of the axle tubes. This should be the factory required amount. You can use a bent zip tie or something like it as a dip stick to help figure this out.

Top Bottom