PDA

View Full Version : Oso Build Thread

Pages : [1] 2

dchew
01-22-2013, 03:04 AM
For me this is a big undertaking. Oso is our 1-month old 2013 Billet Silver JKUR, manual trans. Here are the plans:

EVO high clearance long arm kit
EVO bolt on coil over front/rear
AGM sliders for King c/o
EVO Drag link flip kit
EVO Axle C gussets
EVO Rock sliders
EVO rocker skins
PSC steering assist w/ new power steering pump kit
aFe CAI intake (to make room for the PSC reservoir)
37Ē Nitto Trail Grapplers
17Ē Hutchinson beadlocks
Spydertrax spacers (?)
Terraflex tire carrier
JE Reel 1350 front driveshaft
RCV front axle shafts
Expedition One front bumper
EVO Protek skid
4.88 gears
Trucklite LEDs

So far Iíve installed the Trucklite LEDís (done the first day it came home). Also the aFe cold air intake:

Stuff from EVO arrives:

Tires!

Iím lucky in that a very good friend has a well-equipped garage. Two lifts, a whole bunch of tools and a lot of experience building cars. You can see some of his work in the background of these pics. I also have a friend who is a very good certified welder.

Jeep goes up. No, that Weiand blower is not going in the JK :(

Playing with on of the rims :)

The combination of the EVO high clearance long arm kit (weld-on) plus the bolt on kit is a bit tricky. This is essentially Rubicatís set up if Iím not mistaken, but they have changed some things in the bracketry since Eddieís build. I started the major work Sunday. The gas tank was tough. I swear each connector is different and each one a unique learning experience! Sunday we basically got the Jeep up, outlined a plan and removed the gas tank.

Gas tank off finally!

Since I have to go out to have the gears done we decided to go ahead and completely remove the rear end. That was tonightís job. Removing it will also allow us to re-true the housing if necessary with all the welding that goes on the rear end. Also a note about the rear drive shaft: There are two holes in the back of the connection in front of the pinion flange. We used a small extension rod to tap out the driveshaft. By the way, a D44 rear housing is heavier than you might thinkÖ

Oh no, what have I done??

Tomorrow night we start cutting. :)

Dave

JKRay
01-22-2013, 03:11 AM
Looking good so far! Ill be watching your build. 👍

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JandSJK
01-22-2013, 03:16 AM
Looks like you're gonna have an awesome Jeep when you are finished. Also very swwet cars in your buddies shop.

TrailRidden
01-22-2013, 04:06 AM
VERY nice! love the choices. and there could be no better place to work on it!:thumb:

Skid_Kid
01-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Going to be an awesome set up! Good luck building. Are the Spydertrax spacers needed?

MTG
01-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Very nice. 👍

Can't wait to follow your build.

JKAnimal
01-22-2013, 04:35 AM
That is a very nice garage! Nice start to the build, can't wait to see the Evolution! 👍🍻

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

Hock Edition
01-22-2013, 07:36 AM
looks great

OverlanderJK
01-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Everything about this build and that garage is sweet!:thumb:

dchew
01-22-2013, 10:51 AM
Going to be an awesome set up! Good luck building. Are the Spydertrax spacers needed?

Unfortunately I think so. I really like the Hutchinson beadlocks, but they have 4.5" of backspacing. I am pretty sure they will hit the coils without something. I will try first without them.

Dave

gtony12
01-22-2013, 11:00 AM
I want your lift in my garage please!!!!

Sent from my EVO using WAYALIFE mobile app

dchew
01-22-2013, 11:25 AM
I want your lift in my garage please!!!!

Which one? Haha :). I would too but it's not my garage :)

Actually even with the lift there are still challenges. The rear long arm brackets mount right where the lift wants to be. He has a tranny jack so we plan to use that in the corner we are working on for a bit of added security. I probably should remove the spare to help the balance.

Dave

Prime8
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Subscribed brother!

Question: do you already have the RCVs? The chromoly shafts will perform just as well for half the price. I don't have personal experience with either of them, but I've seen Eddie post about it at least a dozen times.

Where did you get your PSC hydro kit and what did you pay?

hinrichs
01-22-2013, 01:45 PM
looks like this is going to turn out awesome, cant wait to see more progress

dchew
01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
Subscribed brother!

Question: do you already have the RCVs? The chromoly shafts will perform just as well for half the price. I don't have personal experience with either of them, but I've seen Eddie post about it at least a dozen times.

Where did you get your PSC hydro kit and what did you pay?

Yes got the RCVs already. I've seen Eddie's posts too, after my purchase :(

I got the PSC kit from Northridge. $2100 including the new pump kit. That was a very hard pill to swallow but most people who have 37's seem to recommend steering assistance. I will say the stuff looks like very high quality. It's a nice kit as long as I can figure out how to cram it in there! :yup: I think you can buy it directly from PSC as well.

Dave

Prime8
01-22-2013, 02:40 PM
Yeah, I've been looking at them and found a guy in Chicago that sourced all the parts himself for $800. He's got it on his rig running 40's, so I guess it's working for him.
Fyi, The bracket in the kit requires fab work to make it fit on the axle housing with the EVO drag link flip kit bracket. I asked both Eddie and Chris at EVO and they both said that "tabs need to be welded on", and I couldn't get any more details than that. So once you figure it out, a write up with lots of pictures would be greatly appreciated!

dchew
01-23-2013, 02:00 AM
Well we didn't get to cutting tonight. We realized we had a lot of car covering to do before we started making a big mess.
But first, Chris went out and picked up a new toy for this job:

And boy does it cut nice!

So we moved some things around and organized a bit. Then I removed the muffler, loosened the rear body mounts, and checked out how the upper coilover mounts fit. Either I'm dense or that wasn't all that obvious. We finally figured it out. EVO, tagging a few things, or at least a cover page with a photo of all the parts called out would really help! On the other hand, solving the little mysteries is part of the fun. :yup:

Got a lot going on the next few days, not sure how much I will accomplish before the weekend.

Dave

dchew
01-24-2013, 02:43 AM
Well there is no turning back now. Cut off the passenger side upper and lower control arm brackets tonight.

But I am curious how others have removed these brackets. We cut the lower CA bracket with a plasma cutter, then took a saws-all to the weld joint. Vertically just cut lengthwise along the weld. We just couldn't imagine trying to grind the whole thing flush. The saws-all is work but not too bad. Anyone got a better method? I will call Andrew/Chris at EVO tomorrow to ask them too.

Dave

dchew
01-26-2013, 11:37 AM
Rear shock brackets are in place. EVO instructions say to bend up the passenger side exhaust hanger, but I had to bend the drivers side too. Once those are out of the way and the body mounts are loose they slide right up and in.

Here is the drivers side from the inside of the frame looking slightly back:

Passenger side looking forward:

As usual, it took us two days to make all the cuts for the passenger side control arm brackets, and two hours to do the drivers side. Experience is a wonderful thing. :yup:

I marked around the brackets. Next we will take them off, get the frame all cleaned up for the welds, and tack them in place.

Dave

dchew
01-26-2013, 11:44 AM
For future high clearance long arm installers: Here's how we cut off the brackets:

Cut off the lower CA bracket just below the frame with a plasma cutter
Cut off the upper CA bracket with a plasma cutter
Cut the body mount supports with a plasma cutter
With a saws-all, cut off the remaining lower CA at the weld along the frame
With a torch, heat up the remaining upper CA bracket and bang it up away from the frame
Cut off the remaining upper CA bracket with a plasma cutter. Careful not to bake wires and brake lines
Grind everything smooth

You don't really have to remove the remaining upper CA bracket (#5-6) but it looks much better if you do.

Dave

catahoula
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Got me jealous! Subscribed!

Hightower
01-26-2013, 12:21 PM
Looking good! Ps are u in your garage ?

dchew
01-26-2013, 12:35 PM
Looking good! Ps are u in your garage ?

No, in my best friend's garage. It's pretty much everyone's dream garage :thumb:

Hightower
01-26-2013, 12:40 PM
No, in my best friend's garage. It's pretty much everyone's dream garage :thumb:

Does he want anymore friends lol. Good luck with the build

OverlanderJK
01-26-2013, 01:29 PM
http://wayalife.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13918&d=1359199921

Those welds look like garbage.....

:cheesy: Kidding! Nice welds!

dchew
01-26-2013, 01:44 PM
Those welds look like garbage.....

:cheesy: Kidding! Nice welds!

Well, I wish I could take credit for those, but all the welds you see are on the bracket as it comes from EVO. :blush:

Haven't welded anything yet; those brackets are just in place for fit. It will be a while; we have to remove them, clean it all up for welding, then paint behind. I'm trying to figure out the best way to protect the frame underneath these brackets. Obviously we can't paint where we are going to weld, but I don't want a big bare section underneath the bracket either. So much salt is used where I live...:(

I think after cleaning it up we will paint it all, then regrind only the places right where the weld will be. Then after welding paint again. Anyone have a better plan?

Prime8
01-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Sounds like a good plan. Every time I work on my rig I have salt/corrosion in mind too. As matter of fact, I keep semi gloss Rustoleum or flat black primer and wire brushes with me any time I'm working under the jeep and I clean up rust as I go.

arashi
01-26-2013, 06:53 PM
Nice garage!!! I love the other car in that garage... Good luck with your modif :)

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

PlenaBarba
01-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Awesome build. Subscribed! :clap2:

Prime8
01-26-2013, 10:30 PM
Thanks again for the great deal on the cover Dave!13975

dchew
01-27-2013, 01:30 AM
Thanks again for the great deal on the cover Dave!13975

You bet! Looks great :thumb:
So did it take two quarts?

dchew
01-27-2013, 02:23 AM
Got the front end off tonight and removed the front axles. We are going to haul off the housings to get them re-geared with 4.88's. Traveling tomorrow till Wednesday.

Prime8
01-27-2013, 02:36 AM
You bet! Looks great :thumb:
So did it take two quarts?

Well, the measuring technique specified in the ARB instructions is highly subjective and inaccurate. So I googled it. 1.3 quarts was the consensus with the locker. Put in about 1.3 quarts and it registers on the dipstick... So I hope it's adequate!

dchew
02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Well believe me I nobody wishes this was going faster than me! Frustrating evening last night between spilling a whole set of drill bits into the garage drain crock and breaking a few dozen dremel disks. The front coil over mounts are in, but the passenger side was a real bear. I don't know if Jeep changed things in 2013. I had to cut away so much plastic to the point of opening a hole into the battery compartment. Even then I still had to grind off the corner of the EVO tower (or else raise the battery). The rear top corner of the mount was hitting the front edge of the battery. There is a front plastic clip on the battery that helps hold it down. Not on mine any more. :grayno:

I will post picks later today once I clean up my cuts and touch up the tower. Not sure what to use to close up the hole. It is about 1.5" x 2.5". Maybe structural foam? I doubt plastic welding will stick to that material...

Dave

Prime8
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Plastic wrap. Definitely plastic wrap. As far as encountering unforeseen install problems that really stretch build time: welcome to EVO.

dchew
02-01-2013, 01:57 PM
Plastic wrap. Definitely plastic wrap.

Saran Wrap or Glad Clingwrap? Which works better??
:cheesy:

Prime8
02-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Saran Wrap or Glad Clingwrap? Which works better??
:cheesy:

Haha. Well if you are trimming out the softer plastic inside the wheel wells, I'd make a patch with that and use either gasket maker or that "plastic weld" stuff that actually partially melts and bonds the plastic. You can even try using a torch on a couple scrap pieces to see if it will melt together, instead of just burning...

piginajeep
02-01-2013, 04:21 PM
I had to cut away so much plastic to the point of opening a hole into the battery compartment.Dave this is normal to grind into the honeycombs (ribbings) on the battery tray. No reason to cut the part..

dchew
02-01-2013, 07:16 PM
this is normal to grind into the honeycombs (ribbings) on the battery tray. No reason to cut the part..

I know the ribs are normal. But see the photos below. If I mounted this wrong I would love to know before I put it all together! :blush:

I ground the top rear of the mount. If I didn't it would have run into the battery. There used to be a battery mounting clip to the right of the battery that I also had to remove. I know I didn't have to trim quite as high as you see directly above the mount, but once I knew I had to breach the battery area I wanted to be sure I knew what I was cutting. So I cut it flush with the area to the right. That will also make it easier to cover it up.

I might have been able to avoid cutting into there if I ground a lot more off, but I was worried about maintaining the integrity of the coil over mount. Not sure if anyone has installed this yet on a 2013, but maybe they changed that area from 2012...? Or am I doing something seriously wrong?

dchew
02-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Checked with Andrew; everything looks correct. Either my JK is goofy or they changed something for 2013. Got everything on the passenger side cleaned up and repainted the C/O bracket after grinding. I'm leaning toward bending and painting some sheet metal to cover up the void.

Anyway, bumper off, vacuum pump relocated, removed the front control arms, started removing the necessary parts to tackle the PSC steering assist. I think it is best to do that now while the front end is apart. Looks like the reservoir will fit with the aFe CAI! if I can just figure out a way to mount it :yup:

Today we will cut off the front C/A brackets and try to fit the EVO high clearance fronts. That means dealing with "The Bugle" exhaust loop. I would have gone for the aFe down pipes to delete the bugle, but I understand it doesn't work with the Protek skids.

Prime8
02-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey Dave, did you get the drag link flip kit from EVO? If so, the bracket interferes with the PSC bracket. When I asked Eddie and EVO how they make it work together, they both said "just weld on some tabs", which didn't come close to being a satisfying answer for me. I've torn the steering apart on my last jeep, and when stuff doesn't go right, it's a huge headache. So I want to make sure I know EXACTLY how to attach it BEFORE I start tearing things apart. Haha. So if you could snap some photos and do a little write up I would GREATLY appreciate it. Thanks brother!

Prime8
02-02-2013, 04:55 PM
Locking. Love you

dchew
02-02-2013, 06:52 PM
Locking. Love you

Love you too Jesse!
:idontknow:
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Prime8
02-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Love you to Jesse!
:idontknow:
:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Hahahahahaha, that was for my wife when I was locking my locker at the gym! Haha, I could edit it, but I kinda like it there... Haha.

dchew
02-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Ha I agree! I did get the flip kit. I'm hoping we can steal the mounting points from the PSC mounting bracket. Might know more later today or tomorrow.

Prime8
02-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Ha I agree! I did get the flip kit. I'm hoping we can steal the mounting points from the PSC mounting bracket. Might know more later today or tomorrow.

Ok cool! The more pictures the better, please. Got a guy that is sourcing the individual parts for the PSC setup, and it will be $750 with a new pump and everything... Way cheaper than buying it as a kit from PSC, Northridge, etc...

dchew
02-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Back to the front coilover (CO) mounts for a second. The instructions say to slide the bottom plate/ring through the bump stop, align it with the existing 1/2" hole, center it around the bump stop and mark the two 7/16" holes. Then drill those holes and install the CO mount by cutting the plastic above as necessary.

It is subtle, but I recommend the following sequence:

Temporarily mount the CO bracket using the 1/2" bolt (no nut)
Swing the CO bracket around and do the necessary plastic cutting above for clearance
Cut enough plastic ribs away to get the bracket swung into position and lined up with the two upper holes in the stock shock mount
Add the bottom plate around the bump stop
Add the nut to the existing 1/2" bolt above the bump stop and begin tightening
Add a 1/2" nut and bolt to the lower hole in the stock shock mount
Using these two bolts as your positioning guide, tighten them up. At the same time position the bottom ring centered around the bump stop
Now drill one of the two 7/16" holes. You can check your alignment using the butt end of two drill bits; one above in the CO mount and one from below in the bottom ring
Install the bolt for the new hole (this eliminates the possibility of accidentally twisting the bottom ring while drilling)
Drill the second hole and install the bolt

This sequence ensures the CO mount is in just the right position for all the bolts to line up. It's not the EVO brackets that vary... It's the Jeep!

Use these two bolts for positioning the bracket in #7 above. Then drill for the other bolts:

dchew
02-19-2013, 02:24 PM
I am finally at the point of putting stuff on instead of cutting stuff off! :thumb:

I won't duplicate what is over in the PSC thread I started, but if you have questions about installing the PSC ram assist on a 2012+, then that thread may help:
PSC-Steering-Assist-2013-and-CAI-system (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3499-PSC-Steering-Assist-2013-and-CAI-system)

Here is what's been done:

PSC steering pump, reservoir and gearbox installed
F/R housings back from getting 4.88 gears installed
Front coilover upper mounts installed
Front high clearance control arm brackets in place waiting to be welded
Rear coilover upper mounts installed
Rear trackbar relocation complete (still needs to be welded)
Rear high clearance control arms tacked in place at the axle
Rear high clearance control arm bracket at frame end in place

Next steps:

Position and tack in place the rear lower shock mounts
Figure out the mounting points for the PSC ram
Install front lower shock mounts
Mount the front axle and connect all steering components
Install new axle shafts
Mount front and rear drive shafts
Check everything for fitment
Trim pinch seams
Install the rock skins
Tack in place the rock sliders
Get the welder over to finish everything up
Paint
Tighten everything up
Fenders
???

Here are some pictures.
Rear high clearance bracket. Note I just threw up the control arms; I eventually swapped them so the adjustable end is at the axle.

Threw up a wheel to check East / West position of the axle

View of our temporary setup

Bump stop extension and factory upper CA mount (what Eddie just broke :( )

Still gotta drill the frame hole for the upper CA's

Lower CA mount ready to be tacked in place

Tacked in; should have cut that part of the old bracket off first. Looks like crap.

ProfessionalDriver
02-19-2013, 03:22 PM
It's looking great! Can't wait to see it sitting on the ground! :yup:

TrailReady
02-19-2013, 03:44 PM
Nice build! Love the wheels, they are going to look great with the Billet Silver!

FoxC
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
lookin good brother! :rock:

BlackKnight
02-19-2013, 06:45 PM
Beware on the TF Spare tire mount. there was a thread about them breaking at the out welds with big heavy tires...

dchew
02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Beware on the TF Spare tire mount. there was a thread about them breaking at the out welds with big heavy tires...

Yeah thank you. I've got a backup plan :fingerscrossed:

BlackKnight
02-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Yeah thank you. I've got a backup plan :fingerscrossed:

Good.. BTW, Totally Envyous.. I still am looking for my Jeep. Stuck with my Scion xB and wife's Grand Cherokee Limited for now..

dchew
02-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Nice build! Love the wheels, they are going to look great with the Billet Silver!

Thank you! I'm excited to see how the wheels look along with the EVO sliders and skins. Should be a good mix of grays. :yup:

Dave

Prime8
02-19-2013, 07:48 PM
Thank you! I'm excited to see how the wheels look along with the EVO sliders and skins. Should be a good mix of grays. :yup:

Dave

Getting the sliders and skins painted gray too?

dchew
02-19-2013, 08:13 PM
No they will stay black. Bumpers, sliders, skins, fenders, top and tires black. Wheels and body silver.

dchew
02-23-2013, 10:36 PM
Finally making some progress.

The suspension and gussets are all ready to be welded. Everything is tacked in place for tomorrow morning at 9am when Dale Jr. shows up to do the welding.

Cut outs for rear bump stops. This was a bit unnerving. Very deep cuts in the frame!

Rear lower control arm and shock mounts tacked in place:

Rear bump stop tacked in place:

Front bump stops installed:

dchew
02-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Welding done! Oh that feels good. Now clean up some splatter, paint and put back together!

Actually it is not quite done. Rock sliders have to be done yet and we also have to figure out flipping the exhaust loop. But all the suspension is done!

Two photos of the axle gussets:

Front half of the rear pass high clearance bracket

Pass side rear lower control arm mount

Driver side rear lower shock mount

Back half of the rear driver high clearance bracket

Driver side rear bump stop

Back half of the rear passenger high clearance bracket

Front pass control arm bracket

TrailReady
02-25-2013, 06:11 PM
Wow! Nice job. Those welds look great.

Hellfire
02-25-2013, 08:27 PM
Wow! Very Clean! Nice Job!

Prime8
02-25-2013, 10:12 PM
Very clean. I'll call you the next time I need welding done... Haha.

dchew
02-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Very clean. I'll call you the next time I need welding done... Haha.

Hmmm. Actually you want to call the guy I brought in to do the welding. You don't want me within 20' of a welding machine. :eek:

But I can cut and grind with the best of them! :yup:

Seriously don't underestimate how much welding this is. Dale had to run back to his shop and get another spool of wire! Including that run, telling stories and oogling over the jeep it took him 3 hours, and we had everything prepped and tacked in place for him. Probably 1 - 2 hours of solid welding including all the rear brackets, front axle gussets, front CA mounts and rear rockstops. He's an artist. Here is a pick of some headers he is doing from scratch:

1yellowjk
02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
very sweet build!

dchew
03-01-2013, 11:28 AM
Thank you all for the positive comments! Almost done painting but ran out of rattle cans.

JKAnimal
03-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Coming right along! Can't wait to see the finished beast!

WAYALIFE APP 🍺

dchew
03-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Rear end is all in and put together. Although I may need an adjustable rear track bar. At ~ ride hight the axle is about 1" East (toward the passenger side). Not sure why; maybe it was always off...?

Then moved to the front. No photos but all the new control arms are attached to the frame. Also solved the big exhaust loop problem, at least temporarily. Flipped it and cut a bit off next to what is now the flange-end (downstream end). We welded that to the flange next to the y-pipe, then added a flexible section to connect it. If that ends up leaking we will get some more pipe and weld it all up.

Here you can see the clearance for the lower CA. Well you can sort of see it. Sorry for the crappy photo.

MTG
03-04-2013, 01:04 AM
^^nice work!!

Prime8
03-04-2013, 02:51 AM
Lookin righteous

dchew
03-05-2013, 01:10 AM
Front is in :)

paychex.308
03-05-2013, 01:24 AM
AWESOME! :rock::rock:

dchew
03-05-2013, 01:26 AM
Thanks! One more pic.

Prime8
03-05-2013, 01:50 AM

Is that your track bar I see on the left side of the top photo, extending up and out of sight? Who's track bar is that, it looks nice. That EVOs?

Prime8
03-05-2013, 01:51 AM
Is that your track bar I see on the left side of the top photo, extending up and out of sight? Who's track bar is that, it looks nice. That EVOs?

Sorry, I meant bottom. And I was looking at it wrong. It's the upper control arm. Never mind.

Atch
03-05-2013, 01:58 AM

What brand of slider did you replace the king slider with?

dchew
03-05-2013, 02:08 AM
Sorry, I meant bottom. And I was looking at it wrong. It's the upper control arm. Never mind.

Yeah sorry. I took that before we attached the trackbar. I was too excited!

dchew
03-05-2013, 02:10 AM
What brand of slider did you replace the king slider with?

Those are the All German Motorsports.

paychex.308
03-05-2013, 02:18 AM
Those are the All German Motorsports.

Just because I enjoy the "learning" i get here... why the upgrade from the King sliders to the AGM?

dchew
03-05-2013, 07:23 AM
They are supposed to reduce the chattering that all coil overs have.

dchew
03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Here is a link to a review of the sliders:
Race-dezert review.html (http://www.race-dezert.com/home/german-motorsports-suspension-sliders-12663.html)
Alleged benefits:

Quieter
Reduces side flexing of the upper coil

I got them because my Jeep is my DD. Most people don't use these things; they are terribly expensive for what they are. I will say they are well made, fit much tighter than the molded one-piece slider from King and are taller. I will report back on how much noise I still get from the coil overs.

Dave

dchew
03-08-2013, 10:37 AM
So far this week:

Front housing installed
Front suspension all connected
Brake line extensions installed
Front axle shafts installed
Finished the steering assist ram & hoses
JE Reel driveshafts
Gas tank (whew!)
Dynomax comp installed
Filled the differentials
Added power steering fluid

So after being on a lift for almost 2 months, we crossed our fingers and fired up Oso last night. Found one spot where I hit the brake line with the grinder, but that should be a relatively easy fix. Other than that, no issues so far! :thumb:

Next on the list:

Fix the brake line
Bleed the brakes
Install the fenders
Remove rear bumper
Install the tire carrier
Install front bumper
Mount the winch
Rock skins
Rock sliders
Check and adjust all the control arms after it settles

paychex.308
03-08-2013, 11:43 AM
So I know with coilovers one must reroute the rear brake hard line. Since you need to replace it, you mind taking a photo or 6 of how/where you rerouted it...

andrew -

dchew
03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Sure, will-do. I hit the line further up in front of the rear control arm mount, before it routes over to the passenger side. So I either have to replace a whole section or splice it.

dchew
03-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Yesterday was a challenge all around. Ended up only fixing the brake line leak and getting one fender installed. What should have been a simple brake line splice turned into a fiasco of multiple trips to more than one auto parts store and dealership. Don't ask. I'm sure nicking that line with the grinder took me a fraction of a second, but fixing it took hours for no good reason. :( Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Anyway, the factory nuts on the brake lines are close to bottoming out into the new SS extensions, which has us a bit concerned and unwilling to loosen them again. So re-routing them to the inside of the bumpstop is not in my immediate future; sorry no pics for a while. They are higher up the frame but not on top or inside. At some point soon I will get a bunch of brake line and replace both rear lines from my splice back.

In regards to the Bushwacker fender flares, I was just being way to cautious installing the first one and it took forever. Being in Ohio (rain, snow, salt) I saved and shaved the front pants to fit around the coil overs while keeping the most protection I could. That took a while to mount/remove/cut/repeat... But the driver side is installed and fits really nice I think. :thumb:

Dave

dchew
03-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Oso is sitting on his new shoes :)

hunterbilt
03-10-2013, 12:33 AM

Looks so awesome!

ProfessionalDriver
03-10-2013, 01:26 AM

Looks great! I love that front bumper!

silverbackjk
03-10-2013, 01:46 AM
Man this build is nice!

Skid_Kid
03-10-2013, 01:48 AM
Looking good man! :thumb:

dchew
03-10-2013, 04:34 AM

Thanks! Expedition One - JK Core.

ProfessionalDriver
03-10-2013, 04:36 AM
Thanks! Expedition One - JK Core.

Yeah! One of the better looking recessed front bumpers! And I like that it matches the front grille width almost perfectly! Can't wait to see more pictures! 👍

dchew
03-10-2013, 04:43 AM

Thanks! Hey how is Gilroy? I lived in S San Jose almost 20 years ago. We could smell the garlic every spring :)

Dave

silverbackjk
03-10-2013, 04:48 AM
Thanks! Hey how is Gilroy? I lived in S San Jose almost 20 years ago. We could smell the garlic every spring :)

Dave

I think this was meant for me. We can smell the garlic heavily in the morning in the spring. It's cool love wheeling in Tahoe are and Reno and Holister hills for testing is cool cause it is so close.

dchew
03-10-2013, 10:34 AM
I think this was meant for me.

Oops yes it was. :crazyeyes:

dchew
03-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Bumper and winch installed. We really screwed up though. Went too far bleeding the brakes and drained the reservoir ;(

PITA!

my_jk
03-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Looking good

Prime8
03-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Bumper and winch installed. We really screwed up though. Went too far bleeding the brakes and drained the reservoir ;(

PITA!

Very clean. Looks great. Waiting for the salt to stop flying before I install the PowerPlant HD. There is sooooo much rust on my rig. I hate Illinois... The state government should be paying US taxes for destroying our vehicles.

paychex.308
03-10-2013, 07:12 PM
Lookin good sir!

andrew -

dchew
03-14-2013, 02:30 AM
Well for those of you who did not see my thread in JK Tech, I had bit of a setback this week. Sunday we opened the garage and tried to take Oso for a ride, but no dice. The front differential imploded immediately from a bent locker sensor. So the front end is back at the gear installer who is giving it another go.

On a positive note, the winch is installed and operational, and I finally got a leaky tire apart, cleaned and reassembled. Not easy with internal beadlocks. Also started the install of the Teraflex tire carrier. Interesting that they recently changed their install video. I wonder if that is in response to the well-reported break recently.

Anyway hope to tackle the rock skins this weekend. Here we go nutserts...

Dave

dchew
03-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Oso is back together and on the road. I filled the front diff and test drove it, then installed the Teraflop tire carrier. The wheel / tire combo I have fits well so I'm going to use it with a backup strap. Still to go are the rock skins and rails. Hopefully the skins this weekend and the rails next week / weekend.

I do have a few problems to sort out:
1. "Check TPM SYSTEM" warning is on. I did recalibrate (ProCal) to 25 psi. The new wheels have new sensors, so maybe they have to be initiated or one doesn't work. All four show 30-31 psi, so I'm not sure what the problem is. If one is not sending a signal, would the tires each read whatever was there before or would it read "0" or "--" ? I had the battery disconnected for over a month so I doubt it is reading what was there before.

2. My Stability Control "ESC" light is on. Steering seems straight and I checked it with the Procal, which said it needed no adjustment. I will check it again today and follow the speed sensor wires. But I had those sensors in and out so many times on the front that I could have easily damaged one.

3. There is a strange fairly high-pitched whine / noise that occurs sometimes when coasting. It sounds to me like the power steering pump is starving / cavitating but it has nothing to do with steering and I'm not even sure yet if it is coming from the engine bay. It howls for maybe 10 seconds, then goes away when I slow down or stop. At first I thought it was air in the power steering, but now I have no idea. My brakes are still spongy so maybe ABS? I really hope it is not the rear diff. But I can't even tell yet where it is coming from since it goes away when I stop and the Jeep drives completely normal when it howls. It's cold and raining so I can't really drive with the windows down. We will bleed the brakes again Sunday; maybe it will go away after that.

Regardless of these things, I am very excited. It drives beautifully. A little more flighty because of the PSC assist, but I constantly have to remind myself I am driving with 37's. :yup: Sounds awesome, but there is a little ticking from the flex exhaust piece I have in there. I will have the welder finish that off with solid pipe in the next few weeks. Today I am going to the shop where there is a fork lift. Gotta check flex and clearance. :thumb:

Dave

Prime8
03-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Dave
The high pitch squeal you are hearing may be coming from the exhaust. There may be a hole or gap from all the work you did under there. That would sync up with the coasting, as gaps will whistle at certain air pressure and not all air pressures.

dchew
03-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Interesting. That makes some sense with coasting... One more reason to get rid of the short section of flex.

A pic from this morning. Fitting, I suppose :)

MTG
03-16-2013, 12:59 PM
That's great news! Looks good. 👍

Prime8
03-16-2013, 02:09 PM
It's looking great brother!

silverbackjk
03-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Nice rig wow

paychex.308
03-16-2013, 02:55 PM
Looks great! Glad it is finally up and running...:thumbup:

andrew -

Prime8
03-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Try idling in neutral and slowly accelerating and decelerating in neutral and see if you can still hear the noise...

dchew
03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Side One...

paychex.308
03-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Looking good sir! What did you use for the "red" in the logo?

dchew
03-17-2013, 09:10 PM
I just bought a sheet of vinyl

Prime8
03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
Pretty cool! Does it push the skins out though or is it really thin?

dchew
03-17-2013, 09:18 PM
No it is really thin. Thinner than a nutsert. Like a Wayalife decal :)

jeffj
03-17-2013, 09:39 PM
Your rig is really looking awesome. It's nice you don't have to rush it.

Prime8
03-17-2013, 09:42 PM
No it is really thin. Thinner than a nutsert. Like a Wayalife decal :)

^^nice product placement there... Hahaha

dchew
03-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Your rig is really looking awesome. It's nice you don't have to rush it.

Boy that is so true. Especially in the winter. If I had to drive this every day in the salt it would be miserable to clean it all the time. I'm really lucky to have temporary access to another vehicle.

dchew
03-17-2013, 09:57 PM
Looking good sir! What did you use for the "red" in the logo?

It wasn't my idea. Somebody else put red behind there but I can't remember who it was. Other than the blue coil overs that's the only color on this thing.

paychex.308
03-17-2013, 10:28 PM
It wasn't my idea. Somebody else put red behind there but I can't remember who it was. Other than the blue coil overs that's the only color on this thing.

looks good. i am in the same boat with no color but i like the shadow logo...

andrew -

dchew
03-18-2013, 01:31 AM
looks good. i am in the same boat with no color but i like the shadow logo...

andrew -

I have a bunch left over if anybody wants it. Free for the taking. :yup:

TrailRidden
03-18-2013, 01:41 AM
looks amazing! excellent job.:beer:

dchew
03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Went to the dealer yesterday. The howling was a loose ring cover on the rear passenger wheel bearing. Simple fix for something that had me worried. :thumb: They were able to fix the ESC light. Something associated with steering wheel center, but I will find out more today. Almost sounded like it was a whole revolution off, but I find that hard to believe. They also got the TPM sensor warning to go away, but is was right back last night, so there is still some problem there.

The brake bleeding issue is a bit more embarrassing. The rear calipers were swapped L/R, so the bleeders were not high enough to get all the air out. [And another newbie alarm goes off]. :blush:

All in all they were very good about working on the Jeep. TPM sensors and wheel bearing cover will be under warranty. The only issue the technician had was all the other techs coming over to check out Oso. He said he could hardly get anything done! :cool:

Dave

hinrichs
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Glad to see it all together, looks great, really like the small touch of red behind the skin

dchew
03-20-2013, 05:03 PM
Flex test went ok. It didn't stuff as much as I thought it would. The front did not reach the bump stops. Makes me wonder if my swaybar links are too long.

piginajeep
03-20-2013, 05:56 PM
Did you disconnect? You need to go higher with the fork lift

dchew
03-20-2013, 05:59 PM
Yeah I did disconnect. The back tire was beginning to lift off the ground. Should I really go higher?

Prime8
03-21-2013, 08:28 PM
Dave. Can you please send me the exact dimensions of your custom fabbed hydro ram bracket on your EVO bracket? I need thickness of plate, length and width of the top/bottom. I will also need how far in you welded the tabs and drilled the holes and the gap between tabs. I really appreciate it brother! Trying to reproduce yours! Or if its easier, you could just fab up another and send it out! ;)

BrandonDetrick
03-21-2013, 08:49 PM
Doesn't seem like that's all the flex you can get man

dchew
03-21-2013, 09:54 PM
Dave. Can you please send me the exact dimensions of your custom fabbed hydro ram bracket on your EVO bracket? I need thickness of plate, length and width of the top/bottom. I will also need how far in you welded the tabs and drilled the holes and the gap between tabs. I really appreciate it brother! Trying to reproduce yours! Or if its easier, you could just fab up another and send it out! ;)

I will measure and let you know. Actually what I did was cut the bottom off of the PSC bracket, and welded the vertical face right onto the flip kit bracket. That vertical face has the mounting point on it.

Prime8
03-21-2013, 10:34 PM
I will measure and let you know. Actually what I did was cut the bottom off of the PSC bracket, and welded the vertical face right onto the flip kit bracket. That vertical face has the mounting point on it.

Yeah, I'd rather not pay $100 for a bracket I'm going to chop. Getting my whole system setup for $665!! Piecing it together myself.

MTG
03-21-2013, 10:42 PM
Did you disconnect? You need to go higher with the fork lift

I thought the same thing...doesn't look disconnected.

dchew
03-22-2013, 12:31 AM
Yeah I agree. The light was on but maybe it never really disengaged? It did not stuff like it should.

dchew
03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
By buddies were messing with me today...

Prime8
03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Damn, that's a good name, how come you didn't think of that?!?

Prime8
03-22-2013, 08:46 PM
Yeah I agree. The light was on but maybe it never really disengaged? It did not stuff like it should.

Was it solid or blinking?

dchew
03-22-2013, 09:28 PM
It was solid

jpop
03-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Love the "Chubicon" and great to see the beast yesterday.

dchew
03-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks John, you should bring over the springs and shocks today; maybe we could throw them on this afternoon! Not sure if Chris' lift will handle your short wheelbase, but regardless we have a lot of jacks & jack stands. :yup:

I will send you a note later when I figure out what time.

Dave

dchew
03-23-2013, 11:58 AM
And welcome to WAYALIFE! It's nice to have you as a resource here. :thumb:

jpop
03-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Glad to be here, thought I had registered a while back. Definitely have been lurking just didn't realize I wasn't registered.

Not sure how much of a resource I can be, as I'm really crushed all the time at work and don't want to let anyone down. Got seriously backed up creating shift schedules for people with the Superchips trans tune, and the reality was I was just trying to give people the resources to do the work themselves. Just tough as there are so many different tire size, model year and differential ratios to put them together, and I was getting hit up 4 and 5 times to put them together. Just had to pull the plug and felt pretty bad about it.

Anyway, your project is simply awesome and it was good to lend a hand for a bit today (I can hold stuff as good as anyone). Chris was simply a super nice guy and I really enjoyed looking at his toys. When the weather clears I'll definitely need to drop the $50 in fuel to bring the Chevelle out. It could definitely use a good run like that as I don't think I've ran it more 10 miles at a crack the last 5 years.

dchew
03-24-2013, 10:49 PM
John,
It would be great to see you out there with your Chevelle!

Got the sliders installed (thanks for the help jpop!). Here is Dale (welder) going at it:

Prime8, here are some dimensions for the passenger side ram mount:

Plate thickness 1/8" - I can't measure it very well because of the weld. It might be 3/16 but I doubt it. That plate is just welded flat onto the front face of the EVO bracket.

It is 8" long on the bottom and 6-1/2" on top. 2-1/4" high. Flush with the EVO bracket on the bottom and on the driver side.

The mounting tabs for the ram are made out of 1/4" steel. They are 2-3/4" long at the base, and the bolt hole center is 1-5/8 inches from the face. They are 3/4" between the two tabs for fitting the ram attachment in between.

There is a lot of adjustment in the ram for positioning left/right. It is up/down that is the more-critical measurement. I can't get in there to get an accurate measurement, but I think each would be a little different anyway. I recommend making the back plate without mounting tabs, then fitting it over the EVO bracket. Mark the hole for that 5/8" (?) bolt in the face of the EVO bracket. Cut that hole, then mount your new plate right on there. Mock up the ram in place above the tie rod and fit the mounting tabs wherever they need to go to make the ram level.

If you put the bolt through the mounting tabs / pass end of the ram, then tighten it up, they should all lock together so you can fit it wherever it needs to be. Then tack it in place.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Prime8
03-25-2013, 01:43 AM
John,
It would be great to see you out there with your Chevelle!

Got the sliders installed (thanks for the help jpop!). Here is Dale (welder) going at it:

Prime8, here are some dimensions for the passenger side ram mount:

Plate thickness 1/8" - I can't measure it very well because of the weld. It might be 3/16 but I doubt it. That plate is just welded flat onto the front face of the EVO bracket.

It is 8" long on the bottom and 6-1/2" on top. 2-1/4" high. Flush with the EVO bracket on the bottom and on the driver side.

The mounting tabs for the ram are made out of 1/4" steel. They are 2-3/4" long at the base, and the bolt hole center is 1-5/8 inches from the face. They are 3/4" between the two tabs for fitting the ram attachment in between.

There is a lot of adjustment in the ram for positioning left/right. It is up/down that is the more-critical measurement. I can't get in there to get an accurate measurement, but I think each would be a little different anyway. I recommend making the back plate without mounting tabs, then fitting it over the EVO bracket. Mark the hole for that 5/8" (?) bolt in the face of the EVO bracket. Cut that hole, then mount your new plate right on there. Mock up the ram in place above the tie rod and fit the mounting tabs wherever they need to go to make the ram level.

If you put the bolt through the mounting tabs / pass end of the ram, then tighten it up, they should all lock together so you can fit it wherever it needs to be. Then tack it in place.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Dave, thanks a ton for the very thorough instructions! The tabs that come with the ram should be good, right?
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/1-75-x-6-75-assist-cylinder.html//

Wartoy
03-25-2013, 02:49 AM
Killer build. I love it.

dchew
03-25-2013, 09:44 AM
Dave, thanks a ton for the very thorough instructions! The tabs that come with the ram should be good, right?
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/1-75-x-6-75-assist-cylinder.html//

Oh yeah those will be fine. You can just weld those right to the face of the EVO bracket; forget the flat plate I rambled on about. The tie rod clamp for the driver side is not shown in their pick. I think you will need one of those. See the pic below. If they don't have one in the kit and you can't get one, I got an extra from a Fox SS kit you can have.

Dave

dchew
03-25-2013, 10:14 AM
One more thing. The PSC install instructions harp about keeping the ram horizontal and mounting it so it does not angle forward or backward at either end. My tie rod clamp is mounted after the kink in the factory tie rod, so it angles slightly forward (toward the front of the vehicle) at the driver side when on center; when fully turned it is just about square. You cannot mount it right on the kink; it doesn't fit well there. So you have to choose a spot either before or after the kink in the tie rod. Before the kink would be a little better, but there was not enough room for all the stroke in the ram to fit it there.

If you moved the passenger mounting tabs further "east" - or starboard, like to the other side of the 5/8 bolt, you might be able to get it to work before the kink. But it would be tough and you could not get to that bolt in the face of the EVO bracket without removing the ram. I think mine is fine, but I wanted you to be aware of the choices. Our favorite saying during this build was, "Hey, we aren't building a watch here." ;)

What you need is to mock up the ram turned full right and full left. Make sure it hits the steering stops before you run out of stroke turning left, and before the cylinder bottoms out turning right. It is full of fluid, so you have to remove the shipping caps to move the ram. Do this with some hose attached to the in/out of the ram or you will shoot fluid to the ceiling without anything on the fittings. Ask me how I know...

Dave

dchew
03-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Actually Prime8, if you want to be my hero, you would flip the tie rod end for end, and mount it above the knuckles (just like the reverse drag link). Then figure out a way to mount the passenger side ram higher on the EVO bracket. This would give you a poor man's high clearance steering set up. I bet the whole thing would be up about 2". :thumb:

dchew
03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
Killer build. I love it.

Thanks Wartoy! Now that it is winding down and I'm driving it every day, I must say it was a helluva lot of fun to do myself vs. sending it off to a shop. I know my Jeep so much better now than I did before.
:yup:

Prime8
03-25-2013, 11:22 AM
Actually Prime8, if you want to be my hero, you would flip the tie rod end for end, and mount it above the knuckles (just like the reverse drag link). Then figure out a way to mount the passenger side ram higher on the EVO bracket. This would give you a poor man's high clearance steering set up. I bet the whole thing would be up about 2". :thumb:

I asked Eddie once about flipping my tie rod up and over for more clearance. He said you need a specific type of tie rod and that my RK (or any typical tie rod) would not work. I would imagine it has to do with the movement in the rod ends being inhibited, but I'm not sure... Anyways, I already have the RK tie rod and the RK tie rod clamp, so I'm good to go with that. I too have a Fox SS shock that will be up for sale once this hydro gets installed... I will post up a thorough write up about it since I'm piecing it together for about $600, with NEW PSC parts, nonetheless.

Prime8
03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
I believe it's the first week of August that I'll be coming to Pittsburgh. The weekend is booked, but if you could take a day off work (any day, doesn't matter) I would love to wheel with you and a small group. Anywhere near PGH worth going to?

PGH08JK
03-29-2013, 02:51 PM
I live outside of Pittsburgh. I have a ton of places to wheel if anyone is interested. I tried reading back, but can't on my iPhone. Are you talking about banthamjeepfest?

Prime8
03-29-2013, 02:53 PM
I live outside of Pittsburgh. I have a ton of places to wheel if anyone is interested. I tried reading back, but can't on my iPhone. Are you talking about banthamjeepfest?

No. I grew up in the Burgh and most of my family still lives there. Coming in for my grandmothers 90th birthday extravaganza! Haha, that's why the weekend is booked.

PGH08JK
03-29-2013, 02:55 PM
My wedding is the 9th, which is Friday. And I took that whole week off. So I'm sure my group and family will be doing quite a bit of wheeling. If you're interested you're more then welcome to come along. Ill take you to some cool stuff.

Prime8
03-29-2013, 02:57 PM
My wedding is the 9th, which is Friday. And I took that whole week off. So I'm sure my group and family will be doing quite a bit of wheeling. If you're interested you're more then welcome to come along. Ill take you to some cool stuff.

Sounds good! We are bringing my rig from Illinois, instead of driving my wife's much-more-comfortable Subaru outback so that I can wheel one of the days. Dave (Oso's owner) and I wanted to meet up for wheeling that week.

cozdude
03-29-2013, 03:31 PM
WOW!!! killer build! wish i had half the time and money to put work into my jeep like that!

dchew
03-29-2013, 04:59 PM
That week is good for me. So lets plan on a place in PA. Of course you can stop in here too either on your way in or out of Pittsburgh if you like.

Dave

dchew
03-29-2013, 06:06 PM
WOW!!! killer build! wish i had half the time and money to put work into my jeep like that!

Thank you! I've been really lucky to be able to do this.

Dave

jeffj
03-29-2013, 09:44 PM
I believe it's the first week of August that I'll be coming to Pittsburgh. The weekend is booked, but if you could take a day off work (any day, doesn't matter) I would love to wheel with you and a small group. Anywhere near PGH worth going to?

Man I'm about an hour from Pittsburgh, if I can work it out I would love to partake in the fun.

Prime8
03-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Man I'm about an hour from Pittsburgh, if I can work it out I would love to partake in the fun.

With Dave's help, maybe we can set up a small group for a day trip.

Moparman
03-30-2013, 12:37 AM
Great build!!!! Love those wheels, might have to reconsider my all black theme.

dchew
03-30-2013, 12:58 AM
With Dave's help, maybe we can set up a small group for a day trip.

Ok. I will start a separate thread in a few days and post a link to it on this one. PGH08JK we will need your help with location.

Dave

dchew
03-30-2013, 01:23 AM
Great build!!!! Love those wheels, might have to reconsider my all black theme.

Thanks! I don't know; all black can be pretty cool. Hey my sister in-law lives in Kingsport and of course works at Eastman. :)

They are great wheels as long as you can put up with a few quirks. They are fairly easy to assemble but a real bear to get apart. I had one that was losing air so I had to dissasemble it and clean the oring grove. Took me a week of trying and giving up before we got it apart. The beadlock is an internal rubber ring that clamps both beads in place. So you cannot simply put weight on the tire to pull the bead off the rim. It just isn't going anywhere!

Another problem I have is the TPM sensors. I bought a new set of sensors from the dealer for these and now have a TPMS warning light that won't go away. It reads all the sensors fine but thinks there is a problem with the system. The dealership has been great helping me under warranty but I think they are about to give up. Chrysler is blaming it on the wheels. I didn't have a problem until I installed these so I can't necessarily argue with that.

But the wheels are well-designed and I love the look. I bet I could go to 6 or 8 psi and destroy the wheel but not lose a bead. :yup:

Moparman
03-30-2013, 01:33 AM
Thanks! I don't know; all black can be pretty cool. Hey my sister in-law lives in Kingsport and of course works at Eastman. :)

They are great wheels as long as you can put up with a few quirks. They are fairly easy to assemble but a real bear to get apart. I had one that was losing air so I had to dissasemble it and clean the oring grove. Took me a week of trying and giving up before we got it apart. The beadlock is an internal rubber ring that clamps both beads in place. So you cannot simply put weight on the tire to pull the bead off the rim. It just isn't going anywhere!

Another problem I have is the TPM sensors. I bought a new set of sensors from the dealer for these and now have a TPMS warning light that won't go away. It reads all the sensors fine but thinks there is a problem with the system. The dealership has been great helping me under warranty but I think they are about to give up. Chrysler is blaming it on the wheels. I didn't have a problem until I installed these so I can't necessarily argue with that.

But the wheels are well-designed and I love the look. I bet I could go to 6 or 8 psi and destroy the wheel but not lose a bead. :yup:

I hope you get the bugs worked out of your wheels. That is where I live and work also. I am a maintenance mechanic there. It's a pretty cool place to work and the money is good. It keeps me in my hobbies too. Lol!!

Bluegrass James
03-30-2013, 01:38 AM
wow. just wow. nice work, man.

Prime8
03-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Ok. I will start a separate thread in a few days and post a link to it on this one. PGH08JK we will need your help with location.

Dave

Sounds great! Psyched to see your rig in person and do some wheeling! We can compare my budget hydro assist to your full blown one too.

PGH08JK
03-30-2013, 02:04 PM

Dave

Dave that is fine, Are we just doing a one day deal? Or is it over a day or two? I have a few spots in mind, but will choose when I get an idea on time that we have.

-Bret

Prime8
03-30-2013, 02:13 PM
Dave that is fine, Are we just doing a one day deal? Or is it over a day or two? I have a few spots in mind, but will choose when I get an idea on time that we have.

-Bret

I will only have a day. In PGH for a week and have a LOT of family there.

dchew
03-30-2013, 02:35 PM
Sounds great! Psyched to see your rig in person and do some wheeling! We can compare my budget hydro assist to your full blown one too.

Hey if you can swing it you should also stop here on your way. I can take you to our mine so you can see a few CAT's doing what they were made to do. :thumb:

dchew
03-30-2013, 02:40 PM

-Bret

Yeah I think one day. I don't mind getting up really early to meet you guys. I'm about 1.5-2 hours away from PGH, depending on where you want to go.

Prime8
03-30-2013, 02:52 PM
Hey if you can swing it you should also stop here on your way. I can take you to our mine so you can see a few CAT's doing what they were made to do. :thumb:

That would be sweet! Where are you located? Are you on the I-70 somewhere? I'd love to see the mine site! I can ever bring my hard hat, steel toes with metatarsal protection, and ear/eyes protection!

dchew
03-30-2013, 11:01 PM
That would be sweet! Where are you located? Are you on the I-70 somewhere? I'd love to see the mine site! I can ever bring my hard hat, steel toes with metatarsal protection, and ear/eyes protection!

No I'm up North. You would have to go I-80 to here, then 76 to PGH. Not sure how much longer that would be...

Prime8
03-30-2013, 11:04 PM
No I'm up North. You would have to go I-80 to here, then 76 to PGH. Not sure how much longer that would be...

We could make a day trip to see you. My wife and I both work for Cat and my 3 year old son loves "tractors", so we'd love to come out and see the mine.

PGH08JK
03-31-2013, 12:48 AM
I'm in butler county. Where are you at dchew

dchew
03-31-2013, 02:39 AM
I'm in Auburn Ohio just East of Chagrin Falls. 25 miles East of Cleveland.

dchew
04-01-2013, 01:26 AM
Got the beadlock stud covers on and the EVO oil pan skid. Cleaned it up and took a few poser shots. My to do list is much shorter now :thumb:

Touch up paint for the frame and wheel wells
Tranny skid
Modify the EVO Protek to fit around the long arms
Cobra 75 CB install
Solve my TPM sensor problem
Fix a small power steering leak in one of the hose connections
Fire extiguisher
Get out and wheel!

StrizzyChris
04-01-2013, 02:09 AM
Got the beadlock stud covers on and the EVO oil pan skid. Cleaned it up and took a few poser shots. My to do list is much shorter now :thumb:

Tranny skid
Cobra 75 CB install
Fire extiguisher
Get out and wheel!

Looks like crap...I would sell it and start over! :bleh:

Nice build! Super jealous that I havent had time to install my coilovers yet :grayno:

MTG
04-01-2013, 02:45 AM

Tranny skid
Cobra 75 CB install
Fire extiguisher
Get out and wheel!

This turned out very nice Dave!

10frank9
04-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Wow Dave, looks BA. Can't wait to start modding mine as well.

OverlanderJK
04-01-2013, 06:37 AM
Oso is badass! :thumb:

dchew
04-01-2013, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys! Now I have to decide which trail to hit first:
Legacy Village
Beachwood Place
Great Lakes Mall

I'm thinking Legacy. It's pretty high end and would have the most H3's with 24" wheels. :yup:

Chris, I have some notes I will send you in a PM about the install.

Prime8
04-01-2013, 10:44 AM

Tranny skid
Cobra 75 CB install
Fire extiguisher
Get out and wheel!

Looks great Dave! Psyched to get out there and wheel with you this summer!

StrizzyChris
04-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Chris, I have some notes I will send you in a PM about the install.

That would be greatly appreciated! :thumb:

dchew
04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
Tried again. Sway bar definitely disconnected this time. :thumb:

paychex.308
04-01-2013, 07:16 PM
there you go!!! thats more like it :thumbup:

andrew -

jeffj
04-01-2013, 07:19 PM
That turned out awesome!!! Great build.

Prime8
04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Brothers from another mother...?

dchew
04-01-2013, 10:43 PM
Brothers from another mother...?

Yeah buddy! I'm afraid Oso's driver is definitely the limiting factor on where we go, not Oso...

dchew
04-05-2013, 07:42 PM
Ok, I just started a thread for the August trip here:

Western-PA-Grit-Suds-amp-Grub (http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?6390-Western-PA-Grit-Suds-amp-Grub&p=87675#post87675)

Looking forward to good wheeling in PA!

Dave

dchew
04-07-2013, 10:54 PM
Yesterday we finished the EVO Protek skids. The oil pan and tranny skids fit fine, but the third piece that protects the exhaust crossover pipe does not fit with long arms. So we cut it to fit.

Definitely better than the nothing but not as good as the real thing.

Prime8
04-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Yesterday we finished the EVO Protek skids. The oil pan and tranny skids fit fine, but the third piece that protects the exhaust crossover pipe does not fit with long arms. So we cut it to fit.

Definitely better than the nothing but not as good as the real thing.

Do you have the Double D long arms? My Protek skids are coming in this week. Apparently I will be doing some cutting too..

dchew
04-08-2013, 12:07 AM
I think the arms are the same regardless of the kit (high clearance vs DD). For all i know they have something specifically for these arms. Certainly Rubicat has this system, but that may have been an EVO special.

I should have radius'd the corners more. Do that and it will be stronger. Oh wait, why am I telling that to a mechanical engineer??

dchew
04-08-2013, 12:08 AM
The bummer is I had to cut off the cool part (EVO logo). But I saved it. :)

Prime8
04-08-2013, 12:49 AM
I think the arms are the same regardless of the kit (high clearance vs DD). For all i know they have something specifically for these arms. Certainly Rubicat has this system, but that may have been an EVO special.

I should have radius'd the corners more. Do that and it will be stronger. Oh wait, why am I telling that to a mechanical engineer??

Haha, I'm a materials engineer, but my current role is failure analysis, so I know all about stress risers and failure mechanisms.

Prime8
04-08-2013, 12:50 AM
The bummer is I had to cut off the cool part (EVO logo). But I saved it. :)

That's ok, put it somewhere where is can be seen, instead of just rusting under your rig. It's EVOs version of 'removing the tag' after purchase.

Prime8
04-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Hey Dave, do your rear LCAs look like this? In other words, can you see two sets of threads like you can see in this picture of mine?

dchew
04-10-2013, 01:21 PM
No. Mine look like this...

JKAnimal
04-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Interesting. That makes some sense with coasting... One more reason to get rid of the short section of flex.

A pic from this morning. Fitting, I suppose :)

Looking very badass! Good job. It's nice to see it all back together! :thumb:

Prime8
04-10-2013, 02:03 PM
No. Mine look like this...

Hmmm, you have aftermarket axles though don't you? They said they adjusted the angle and that's why mine looks like that...

rtguy1
04-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Do you have the Double D long arms? My Protek skids are coming in this week. Apparently I will be doing some cutting too..

the arms are the same in both kits, and the front bracketry is the same in both kits. The high clearance kit involves removal of rear frame and axle braketry and installation of new brackets on both the axle and frame. :thumb:

looks great dchew:rock:

Mgimelli
04-10-2013, 02:33 PM
Awesome looking jeep... Love the rock monsters

Prime8
04-10-2013, 02:51 PM
the arms are the same in both kits, and the front bracketry is the same in both kits. The high clearance kit involves removal of rear frame and axle braketry and installation of new brackets on both the axle and frame. :thumb:

That makes sense then on why his looks different!

dchew
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM
Yeah as rtguy1 said, it's all the same except for the lower axle mounts. Makes sense that my arms are set shorter because they are a little higher.

My housings are stock, btw.

dchew
04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
I suppose it is worth noting there is one small disadvantage of the high clearance kit besides the difficulty setting it up: the Jeep ends up about an inch higher at its lowest setting, simply because the bottom shock mount is higher.

Dave

dchew
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM

Thank you! I'm watching your thread every day. Really cool build you got going there. I would love to get mine out to EVO just to have them give it a once over. Every time I hear the slightest noise I'm wondering... I'm like MTG; I have to track down every mouse squeak!

Awesome looking jeep... Love the rock monsters
Yeah I'm really glad I went that route. ATX slabs are probably the better, more traditional option, but these are different and relatively rare. And, from what I can tell, very well designed.

Dave

MTG
04-10-2013, 05:13 PM
Thank you! I'm watching your thread every day. Really cool build you got going there. I would love to get mine out to EVO just to have them give it a once over. Every time I hear the slightest noise I'm wondering... I'm like MTG; I have to track down every mouse squeak!

LOL! I was at the shop this morning trying to track down that latest squeak coming from the rear axle. Drives me nuts!

rtguy1
04-10-2013, 05:23 PM
I do this in every car I drive. My girl is like, wtf? Why do you keep turning the radio down:cheesy:

Thanks dchew. I thinks they are doing a great job. Once I get it back ill be working on it for a bit too. Stuff is starting to pile up...lol I'd really like some of those wheels MTG scored! :sigh:

Prime8
04-11-2013, 12:11 AM
Hey Dave, what parts did you have to cut?

StrizzyChris
04-11-2013, 07:04 AM
Hey Dave, what parts did you have to cut?

When you cut yours prime, be sure to post pics as to the best lines to cut for retaining strength

dchew
04-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Here is basically what I did. As Chris points out, the big problem is how to keep the strength in front of the cross over pipe. I kept the small section of that rib / gusset on the driver side. But aside from adding ribs or other material, there just isn't much you can do.

As mentioned before, you should radius the corners more than I did. Adding an identical rib on the passenger side to support the front angle would help too.

NOTE: I edited this post to make the lines more accurate

dchew
04-11-2013, 09:38 AM
It is kinda difficult to position and gauge where to cut with the lower CA's in place. I removed the x-fer case skid, put the bolts back in but sticking out as far as possible, and backed out the front gas tank skid bolts as far as possible. Then I supported this piece with a floor jack. I raised it up as close as I could until it ran into the control arms. It ends up about 4" straight below where it needs to mount. Then with the x-fer case skid bolts and the front gas tank skid bolts lined up with the holes in this skid as best you can, eye where the cuts need to go. Mark that with a china marker.

Prime8
04-11-2013, 10:39 AM
It is kinda difficult to position and gauge where to cut with the lower CA's in place. I removed the x-fer case skid, put the bolts back in but sticking out as far as possible, and backed out the front gas tank skid bolts as far as possible. Then I supported this piece with a floor jack. I raised it up as close as I could until it ran into the control arms. It ends up about 4" straight below where it needs to mount. Then with the x-fer case skid bolts and the front gas tank skid bolts lined up with the holes in this skid as best you can, eye where the cuts need to go. Mark that with a china marker.

Ok thanks brother. It's a real shame I gotta chop this thing up, it looks so nice!
Btw, what the hell is a "china marker"?

StrizzyChris
04-11-2013, 10:58 AM
Ok thanks brother. It's a real shame I gotta chop this thing up, it looks so nice!
Btw, what the hell is a "china marker"?

Its the wealthy version of a Vietnamese marker

dchew
04-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Hehe. Grease pencil. The waxy pencil thing with a string.

Prime8
04-11-2013, 03:21 PM
Hehe. Grease pencil. The waxy pencil thing with a string.

Haha, ok gotcha.

Prime8
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Its the wealthy version of a Vietnamese marker

I literally just lol-ed at my desk...

Atch
04-15-2013, 02:13 AM
Dave, your rig is looking good. BTW thx for the steering stabalizer, I blew mine up this weekend so it was perfect timing.

dchew
04-19-2013, 01:59 AM
Dave, your rig is looking good. BTW thx for the steering stabalizer, I blew mine up this weekend so it was perfect timing.

Thank you! Glad the timing was right. Although now you need a spare! Hey Prime8 you got one now that you've completed your super secret PSC ram install?
:)

Atch
04-19-2013, 04:01 AM
Thank you! Glad the timing was right. Although now you need a spare! Hey Prime8 you got one now that you've completed your super secret PSC ram install?

I have a spare again! I bought rubi 44's off a buddy that'll be going on in a few months and it still has the stabilizer attached to it. Eventually ill be doing PSC but for now this will get me by.

Prime8
04-19-2013, 11:15 AM

A buddy has my stock tie rod with SS shock because he bent his up at Flat Nasty. I do have a Fox SS Shock with synergy relocation bracket for sale... I was hoping to get the hydro assist write up done this week, but with prepping for the Badlands Offroad Park on Saturday, I just haven't had time.

dchew
04-20-2013, 09:44 AM
I was in Dana Point earlier this week so I ran up to Fullerton Wednesday afternoon to ORE. Got to meet Jake and Andrew. Andrew took me on a great tour even though it was right at 5pm. Really cool place and awesome people! [Yeah, I know; we already knew that...!]

Yesterday I removed the e-disco and installed EVO's manual disconnect. Very nice and simple. What does everyone do to cover up that huge factory connector? Duct tape? Tupperware? Hehe...

I also fixed a stupid install mistake I made. I never understood why my front swaybar was angled up so much. Well duh, I bought the long arm kit and the coil over kits all at the same time. One comes with longer end links and the other comes with relocation brackets for the stock end links. Guess what happens if you install both the longer end links and the relo brackets? :yup:

You can see how high it was in this pic.

And here is where it was; level at almost full droop :grayno:

dchew
04-20-2013, 10:55 AM
Sits a little better now...

MTG
04-20-2013, 01:32 PM
Yesterday I removed the e-disco and installed EVO's manual disconnect. Very nice and simple. What does everyone do to cover up that huge factory connector? Duct tape? Tupperware? Hehe...

It is rather huge for something so simple isn't it?

I just zipped tied mine out of the way. What happened to your motor? Selling it? 😉

rtguy1
04-20-2013, 02:41 PM
That angle looks much better:yup: rig looks really good.

FoxC
04-20-2013, 03:21 PM
Awesome Dave! Rig looks absolutely awesome...:yup:

paychex.308
04-20-2013, 03:25 PM
rig looks great! did i miss the, he I am in SoCal, who wants to have a beer? thread??? :rolleyes:

andrew -

dchew
04-20-2013, 03:30 PM
Thanks guys! Trying to button things up. This Thursday my wife and I are heading out to explore the Eastern edge of NY. Lake George and the Adirondacks. My Viar portable should show up today; the ARB tire fixitkit came a few days ago.

What happened to your motor? Selling it? 
Haven't thought about it but probably. Guess there is no reason for a spare anymore! Are these things popular? It just annoyed me. :thinking:

dchew
04-20-2013, 03:33 PM
rig looks great! did i miss the, he I am in SoCal, who wants to have a beer? thread??? :rolleyes:

andrew -

Ha! Great point; I'm a slacker. It was a quick trip but we finished a little early Wednesday, so I had some time between 4-6 so I ran up there. Also got to do a little of this, which was just fantastic:

paychex.308
04-20-2013, 03:35 PM
Ha! Great point; I'm a slacker. It was a quick trip but we finished a little early Wednesday, so I had some time between 4-6 so I ran up there. Also got to do a little of this, which was just fantastic:

just bustin your b*lls brother... wow! look at you sailin and everything!

andrew -

FoxC
04-20-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm diggin that fr bumper from expedition one. Maybe I'm old school, but I still like that clean look without a stinger.

StrizzyChris
04-21-2013, 03:31 AM
AH MAN! I used to live in Dana Point and am now just up in Lake Forest. I would have showed you a couple awesome hole in the wall places to eat/see. Diggin the sailing pic :rock:

dchew
04-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Oso at the shop next to Grandpa...

StrizzyChris
04-24-2013, 11:42 PM
Its always a good time, hanging with gramps....but he always wants to talk about the war and cant keep up or go outside and play with me anymore :tearsdrip:

dchew
04-25-2013, 12:27 AM
LOL! That Jeepster belongs to the owner of the dealership. They were trying to get overdrive to work so it wouldn't get so hot it would vapor lock. Overdrive is third gear. :yup:

I must admit I kinda like my dealer.

dchew
04-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Cobra 75 installed earlier this week. I decided to do a "temporary" install to see if I like it and how it works.

Antenna mounted to an existing 1/2" threaded hole in the Teraflex tire carrier. Had the welder make me a simple aluminum L-bracket. SWR meter reads amazingly low for this crappy location; 1.2 or something like that. The one good thing about the TF carrier is its aluminum and well grounded through the hinge. I have no external ground wire!

Then I brought the coax in through the carpet, down to the back seats and over to underneath the front driver seat. I just set the little connector box for the Cobra under the seat for now. The handset plugs in there and will sit just to the left of the transfer case shifter. For now I just toss the handset under the seat, but if this becomes permanent I will mount the clip holder along the vertical face of the cowling where the handset is in this pic. It is well out of the way of my long legs:

The remote speaker is up next to my head on the left near the B pillar. Wires run down the pillar, under the rear full-length mat. I just used a few wire ties to hold the speaker for now.

It would be simple to remove the whole thing if it doesn't work out. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

BlackKnight
04-26-2013, 01:44 PM
CB install looks nice clean, and out of the way...

OverlanderJK
04-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Cobra 75 installed earlier this week. I decided to do a "temporary" install to see if I like it and how it works.

Antenna mounted to an existing 1/2" threaded hole in the Teraflex tire carrier. Had the welder make me a simple aluminum L-bracket. SWR meter reads amazingly low for this crappy location; 1.2 or something like that. The one good thing about the TF carrier is its aluminum and well grounded through the hinge. I have no external ground wire!

Then I brought the coax in through the carpet, down to the back seats and over to underneath the front driver seat. I just set the little connector box for the Cobra under the seat for now. The handset plugs in there and will sit just to the left of the transfer case shifter. For now I just toss the handset under the seat, but if this becomes permanent I will mount the clip holder along the vertical face of the cowling where the handset is in this pic. It is well out of the way of my long legs:

The remote speaker is up next to my head on the left near the B pillar. Wires run down the pillar, under the rear full-length mat. I just used a few wire ties to hold the speaker for now.

It would be simple to remove the whole thing if it doesn't work out. We'll see how it goes.

Dave

Wait until you are driving down the road with the CB on and its nice and quiet and then you get some really loud buzz. :cheesy:

dchew
04-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Wait until you are driving down the road with the CB on and its nice and quiet and then you get some really loud buzz. :cheesy:

Already done! Scared the shit out of me. Must remember to adjust the squelch at a high volume first, then turn it down.

:eek:

rtguy1
04-27-2013, 06:04 AM
Nice one. I will be putting mine in this weekend hopefully

StrizzyChris
04-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Is it weird that I've never met you but I think of you on a daily basis? ;)

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

dchew
04-27-2013, 12:22 PM
Cool! I'm glad you got that pic. I saw that sign when I was out, but I was never prepared to take a photo.

Moparman
06-23-2013, 01:47 AM
The build turned out awesome.

Rubiwho
07-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Sent a PM also but was wondering what Beadlock size you went with. Nitto isn't listed on the sizing chart.
Did you ever sort out the TPMS issue... If so what was it?
And you mentioned maybe using wheel spacers... Are you Ok without them?

Well played all around:thumb:

dchew
07-11-2013, 10:11 AM
Sent a PM also but was wondering what Beadlock size you went with. Nitto isn't listed on the sizing chart.
Did you ever sort out the TPMS issue... If so what was it?
And you mentioned maybe using wheel spacers... Are you Ok without them?

Well played all around:thumb:

I got BL107. I emailed Hutchinson on that question and got this response:
"We can make a beadlock for any tire. The key is getting the bead thickness measurement so that we can provide the correct beadlock. The compression should be high enough to lock the tire beads but not so high that it damages the tire beads. Attached is a brochure for reference.
The 17x12.5 Nitto Trail Grappler uses the BL-0107 beadlock."

I never did sort out the TPMS issue. I did figure out the problem is related to the Jeep not being sure which tire is which. When airing down or up the tires on the dash will swap back and forth from left to right. If I air down the driver tire it will show on the dash as driver, then a minute later it will swap to the passenger then back again.

One shameless plug for Hutchinson: Every time I emailed or called them I got excellent help regardless of the question. On the TPMS problem they even offered to talk with the dealer to help sort it out. I was the first they've heard of with this problem, so I'm convinced it is my TPM module, but the dealer and I are still wrestling with Chrysler on that one.

As I mentioned in my PM, I do use spacers but never ran without them. At first I did not like the look of the wheels sticking out beyond the fenders that much but I am used to it now. And it does protect my body a bit from close trees on the trail. I'm sure the way I am set up the rear wheels would contact the sway bar without spacers. If I wanted to run without them I would at least have to fix that. I'm still not sure about the front. Every one says you need 3.5" of backspacing for my setup, but I have not tried without spacers on the front.

Dave

LAJK
07-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Great build!

dchew
06-23-2014, 01:19 AM
My ESC started kicking in randomly while driving, then the warning lights came on and stayed on. I thought it might be a bad speed sensor. The steering wheel has been centered with no problems for 30k miles so I was sure it wasn't that. Then looking at the front my right wheel looked as if the C was drastically bent. Weird given the welds on the C-braces were fine. It was also toed out a bit. So I lifted the front. Sure enough I could move the wheel back and forth by hand probably 2".

Bad bearing. And the speed sensor was rusted in place; had to break it. So off to the dealership tomorrow for some parts! Good news is a bearing and sensor are a lot cheaper than upgrading to a ProRock 44. Bad news is, there goes my justification for upgrading to a ProRock 44.
:(

Dave

MTG
06-23-2014, 02:33 AM
Hey Dave. Haven't seen you on in a while, or maybe I missed it? Bummer about the issues, glad it's an easy fix. Or maybe I have that backwards? ;)

dchew
06-23-2014, 02:59 AM
Hey Dave. Haven't seen you on in a while, or maybe I missed it? Bummer about the issues, glad it's an easy fix. Or maybe I have that backwards? ;)

Hey there! Yeah your right. New job, traveling constantly so not much time for the Jeep let alone WAYALIFE. I trust everyone here is doing well...

I've been jones'n for a PR 44 as you can tell. I'm guessing if I work with ORE they can set it up for my coil overs so it is a straight swap?

My problem has been rust. We had a bad winter and everything I worked on looks like hell even though I primed well and painted two coats. Even the EVO sliders and skins had to be redone. There is a lot of technology in factory paint, that's for sure. I'm seriously thinking about buying a beater this fall for winter driving.

Regardless, if I ever go PR 44 I want it install-ready so I don't have to repaint. Cuz obviously I suck at that!
;)

Dave

dchew
06-23-2014, 12:10 PM
$200 bearing and sensor. Parts will be at the dealer early afternoon!

:thumb:

dchew
04-26-2015, 12:21 PM
Spring cleaning long overdue. Got some lift time back at my buddy's garage.

Every place I primed and painted looks awful. Don't anyone hire me to paint anything.

Some of these long arms are going to take some creative coercion to remove.

I was afraid the joints would be a mess after 40k miles and two winters. While they need some care they look mechanically fine. Font upper CA:

Believe it or not I cleaned up the coil overs last spring. But they look pretty bad.

These machine bolts that mount the shock to the upper bracket are nasty. I've tried just about everything, including what seems like a quart of PB Blaster :(

Yesterday was frustrating. I hate road salt. Today will be better!

Dave

dchew
04-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Despite my wishful thinking, yesterday was no better. There are three bolts used to mount the top of the coil overs: Two machine bolts that go up vertically through the shock bracket into the original stock nuts and through the EVO reinforcement bracket, and one that holds the shock in place horizontally through the bracket. The machine bolts at the top were frozen solid. I then took the nut off the horizontal shock bolt, and that bolt spun fine but would not budge to come out through the shock. Those sleeves that hold the shock must be rusted solid. Tried everything. Went back to the machine bolts and stripped the hex head out of one. Now I'm stuck. Can't get the shock off without doing some destruction I will not be able to recover from.

So I gave up and went to the front. I was going to do some small adjustments to the CA's (turn them out to be just a little longer). The adjustment for the upper passenger CA won't budge. Even with lots of heat. It is either bent or galled up in there. Time to call ORE for a new upper CA. That's not going to be cheap to ship fast. :icon_crazy:

Then I took off the bearings and one speed sensor would not come out. Had to break it off and take it out with an easy out. Well that didn't work either. The bottom part of the sensor fell into the bearing and can't get it out. New bearing time?? I have a spare speed sensor, but I'm guessing I cannot have a piece of the old one rolling around in there...

All this has pushed me over the edge. Gotta buy a beater for winter driving. Also found a guy who does painting on restorations. He is looking for a small job, so in about a month I will drive over there and he will do the paint clean up. That's about the time I'm getting new axles and rear EVO Lever DTD. I will drill out those pesky upper shock bolts then.

"Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes your the bug" - Dire Straits

Yesterday I was the bug.

Dave

piginajeep
04-27-2015, 12:58 PM
I'm guessing you didn't anti seize anything ?

And I'm so glad I don't live in the rust belt any longer. I wouldn't not spend that kinda money on my jeep, or I would park it in the winter.

dchew
04-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Yup guessed right. I did on the big ones but not these little ones. Cutting corners always bites me. No excuse either because these specific bots are in coated Machine bolts. Should have known.

DA RUNT
04-27-2015, 01:18 PM
On a side note, your buddy has some sweet rides in his shop :thumb: