Best diff protection

dkjk

What are some good differential products? My previous wheelin experience left my rear diff bleeding. It was almost bone dry when I got it resealed. Thanks for the input in advance! ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1358911582.017493.jpg

TrailBear

A dynatrack cover.

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailBear

I have no experience with it but I think aev makes a pinion skid not sure if it would be what your looking for.

Don't let fear and common sense hold you back:)
Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly, you don't need any armor, you just need to make sure to use a good RTV, apply it correctly and, if the lip of your diff cover is hanging down a bit below the housing, grind it down so that it sits flush or just a hair above the base of the diff. Catching the lip of the cover on the rocks is what causes leaks and so long as you mitigate that, you should be okay. Diff covers like what Dynatrac are designed specifically to offer more resistance to the separation of the cover from the diff housing too.

dkjk

Honestly, you don't need any armor, you just need to make sure to use a good RTV, apply it correctly and, if the lip of your diff cover is hanging down a bit below the housing, grind it down so that it sits flush or just a hair above the base of the diff. Catching the lip of the cover on the rocks is what causes leaks and so long as you mitigate that, you should be okay. Diff covers like what Dynatrac are designed specifically to offer more resistance to the separation of the cover from the diff housing too.

Cool beans! Makes sense now that you mention it. :thumbsup:

Infinity

When I peeled my stock covers, I replaced them with solid brand covers. They are thick and priced well. The stock covers are really pretty thin and I bent the rear twice (hammered it flat and resealed the first time). Was tired of resealing and buying new fluid. An added benefit is the slightly larger fluid capacity which can't hurt.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
When I peeled my stock covers, I replaced them with solid brand covers. They are thick and priced well. The stock covers are really pretty thin and I bent the rear twice (hammered it flat and resealed the first time). Was tired of resealing and buying new fluid. An added benefit is the slightly larger fluid capacity which can't hurt.

I've run a gamut of aftermarket covers over the years and yes, they will not bend and will help prevent it from separating from the housing. But, if you're on a budget, the steps outlined above will help as well. An RTV made by Permatex called the "Right Stuff" is what I use. Pricey but, it's about the best RTV I've ever used and way better than a reusable gasket like a Lubelocker.

newtdog

Riddler diff covers work great but they're about $100 each. I have had riddler diffs and have used lube lockers for a while now with no problems.

Biglew81

I run a poison spyder rear Dana 44 bombshell cover and its great I've beaten it quite a bit with no problems. And I run a riddler on the front also great with no problems both great products.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What gear oil is recommended to use? Will be doing this also. Thanks!

If you have a limited slip, you'll want to use a synthetic oil as they typically come with a friction modifier in them. Otherwise, any regular gear oil will get the job done. I typically use something like Valvoline synth oil or the like as opposed to Royal Purple but only because the later is so expensive. When you're servicing your diffs as often as you should, the money adds up quick.

snopro

Banned
If you have a limited slip, you'll want to use a synthetic oil as they typically come with a friction modifier in them. Otherwise, any regular gear oil will get the job done. I typically use something like Valvoline synth oil or the like as opposed to Royal Purple but only because the later is so expensive. When you're servicing your diffs as often as you should, the money adds up quick.

Yeah I run 5.38 gears so I do a visual inspection almost run
I used to be a mechanic for a snowmobile race team and looked at chain case gears a lot
Old habits hard to break

Last edited:

Smokinjoe

Eddies tip sounds great:) I run the Poison Spyder D44 bomb shell and the AEV rear diff cover I like the way it protects the yoke. Been out several times and have yet to put a scratch on it:eek: have a few $$ in rear end protection BUT it looks Cool :cheesy:

sj

Top Bottom