Back Up Camera

Rubicon310

I was gifted a backup camera for my jeep and I have a few questions on it.

I received two boxes, one is a PAC Back Up Camera Interface and the other is a Echomaster Pro Camera with spare tire metal bracket. I read a few other threads that require a trip to the stealership to have the CPU flashed in order to enable the back up camera feature on the jeep. Is a trip to the dealership required even with this interface? I haven't opened the boxes yet and haven't taken the dash apart. I want to make sure I have all of the information I need before going forward with this install.

Yes, I have the 430 head unit with the built in navigation system. Installing the camera and running the wires is pretty straight forward. I'm just concerned about the Pac module install.

All info is appreciated.

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
This is super easy to do, we have other threads on it so you might try searching for them. You'll need your vehicle flashed.

Edit: looking at the box this enables all the same stuff that usually is associated with "hack" interfaces like mine, so it may not require a flash afterall. I'd hook it up and see...it literally takes minutes and is plug and play.

Rubicon310

That is the reason for my question. I've seen other threads but none mention the use of the PAC interface. From reading the box, it seems as a straight forward install without requiring a trip to the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
That is the reason for my question. I've seen other threads but none mention the use of the PAC interface. From reading the box, it seems as a straight forward install without requiring a trip to the dealership.

Yeah I've never heard of anyone using it. It should be as straight forward to install as the rest of them and you'll know real quick if you need a flash or not. If you put it in reverse and get nothing different, then a flashin' you'll be needin'.

JeepJeep75

I installed one of the "hack" boxes that are easily found online. The camera view comes on in reverse as it should. No dealer flash needed. However, since mine is a '15 manual, all of the other advertised features of my hack box do not work such as watching a movie while moving, navigation input while driving, and rear camera while driving forward. It was plug-and-play though.

Also, don't panic if you turn the key on and the radio says it needs the 4 digit severity code. Just start the jeep and it will sort itself out. That's what I went through.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I was gifted a backup camera for my jeep and I have a few questions on it.

I received two boxes, one is a PAC Back Up Camera Interface and the other is a Echomaster Pro Camera with spare tire metal bracket. I read a few other threads that require a trip to the stealership to have the CPU flashed in order to enable the back up camera feature on the jeep. Is a trip to the dealership required even with this interface? I haven't opened the boxes yet and haven't taken the dash apart. I want to make sure I have all of the information I need before going forward with this install.

Yes, I have the 430 head unit with the built in navigation system. Installing the camera and running the wires is pretty straight forward. I'm just concerned about the Pac module install.

All info is appreciated.

Have you installed this yet? I'm wondering if it worked for you without having dealer activation. I read in a listing on eBay for the PAC interface that it does require dealer activation but I'm puzzled as to why someone would buy it if that is the case. You can get a media cable for around $30 to help with camera interfacing to the back of the Mygig. I went to my local stealership to see what they would charge for a radio flash to add back-up camera function to my Mygig and was told $110 plus tx which I think is a ridiculous price for what little amount of work they have to do. I'm trying to figure out an economical way to add a backup camera but I'm not finding one yet.

Kalums

110$ is a rip off try a different dealership they literally have to just hook you Jeep up to the computer and input your VIN, check a box and bam out the door you go.

Edited because I'm an idiot...

Please take pictures when you mount the camera, I wanna see where you put it and how.. Thx

Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Nic Try

I have this on mine with the factory nav, but my kit camewith a flash module that plugged into the ECM and activated the camera mode (this nav was the same one used on older grand cherokees or WK1's) that had camera's

I love mine and the install was straight forward and the flash module just plugged in and you followed the directions through the menu and it activated in minutes!

My wife bought my kit on amazon and i was skeptical, but its been flawless...

Rubicon310

I have this on mine with the factory nav, but my kit camewith a flash module that plugged into the ECM and activated the camera mode (this nav was the same one used on older grand cherokees or WK1's) that had camera's

I love mine and the install was straight forward and the flash module just plugged in and you followed the directions through the menu and it activated in minutes!

Do you have the exact same one as the one pictured above?

zimm

Caught the Bug
110$ is a rip off try a different dealership they literally have to just hook you Jeep up to the computer and input your VIN, check a box and bam out the door you go.

Ha! My dad and I both had to pay $150 for flashes. It totally depends on your dealer. DC area is expensive.

jagrubb99

Got any links to which kit you got? I may be interested in this.

chris4x4

I just installed a Brandmotion kit, and am quite happy with it. The reprogrammed was so easy, my dogs could do it. Pricey, yes, but it was complete, and I didn't have to screw around with the dealer.

DeJkUnlimited

Caught the Bug
^^ Looks like the same kit that AEV has on the Quadratec site, right down to the included programmer. The Amazon price is better. I guess some companies are licensing the kit.

* Edit that.....the AEV kit also has an integrated LED 3rd brake light.

Last edited:
Top Bottom