Back Up Camera

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

That's a nice kit for sure, just more than I want to pay. I purchased the mygig for about the same price. Here are the options I'm looking at:

#1. Buy the media harness as mentioned by Zimm and pay stealership, about $150

#2. Buy the OBD Genie programmer for $200. Could possibly sell later on down the road if I sell jeep or change head unit.

#3. Buy a Lockpick which would unlock a lot of features for mygig but a little pricier $300. Least likely option for my cheap ass, lol.

#4. Try going the PAC interface route. Found a source for it online that's close to $150. Provided that this option doesn't require dealer flash, it seems like a reasonable cost-effective way to go.

If anyone has anymore ideas I'm all ears. I'm interested to see how the PAC works out for the OP.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
You can do option 1 and call around to different dealerships and maybe get a better price. It's a super fast, plug in it, check a box, and they're done. There's a procedure floating around on the internet. I printed that out and brought it with me in case the tech didn't know what to do. The correct terminology to say to the tech is to "enable the Parkview backup camera". I think that's an optional add-on for the minivans that use the same 430/730 head units our jeeps do. It tells the headunit to switch to the video input when in reverse.

Nic Try

That's a nice kit for sure, just more than I want to pay. I purchased the mygig for about the same price. Here are the options I'm looking at:

#1. Buy the media harness as mentioned by Zimm and pay stealership, about $150

#2. Buy the OBD Genie programmer for $200. Could possibly sell later on down the road if I sell jeep or change head unit.

#3. Buy a Lockpick which would unlock a lot of features for mygig but a little pricier $300. Least likely option for my cheap ass, lol.

#4. Try going the PAC interface route. Found a source for it online that's close to $150. Provided that this option doesn't require dealer flash, it seems like a reasonable cost-effective way to go.

If anyone has anymore ideas I'm all ears. I'm interested to see how the PAC works out for the OP.

Not knowing what you paid for the mygig, i hope your not spending into the territory where you could have bought an aftermarket head unit and put a $100 camera module on it.

I really like mine, it's OEM like in execution and performance- and its saved my bacon more than a few times.....

Option #1 looks best from your current scenario, unless you can sell what you have and get my style of system- i just cant stress how easy and reliable its been, and that rare for electronics sometimes

I really wanted that Alpine system, but $3k++ wasn't gonna work when i can get More important stuff first....

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
Not knowing what you paid for the mygig, i hope your not spending into the territory where you could have bought an aftermarket head unit and put a $100 camera module on it.

I really like mine, it's OEM like in execution and performance- and its saved my bacon more than a few times.....

Option #1 looks best from your current scenario, unless you can sell what you have and get my style of system- i just cant stress how easy and reliable its been, and that rare for electronics sometimes

I really wanted that Alpine system, but $3k++ wasn't gonna work when i can get More important stuff first....

I got a 730 RHR unit for $600. I probably could have purchased an aftermarket unit and camera for less but I didn't like the looks of any of them and thought that the factory unit would be less appealing to thieves. The RHR has integrated uconnect, Bluetooth music streaming, navigation, 30g hard drive, and a USB port in the rear of unit for external peripheral, pretty much everything I wanted in a new unit except backup camera. Adding the GPS antenna and Uconnect mic was a breeze and low cost. No flash needed and everything works great. Install took maybe 30 minutes. My budget is less than $1000 to get all the stuff I want and I still think I can meet that mark if I'm careful not to overspend on backup camera part. I'm curious what head unit you went with though?

Rubicon310

I did further research and the PAC interface does not seem to need a dealer flash. This is the description I found on the website my wife bought the camera from. IMG_1483756202.868176.jpg

Nic Try

I got a 730 RHR unit for $600. I probably could have purchased an aftermarket unit and camera for less but I didn't like the looks of any of them and thought that the factory unit would be less appealing to thieves. The RHR has integrated uconnect, Bluetooth music streaming, navigation, 30g hard drive, and a USB port in the rear of unit for external peripheral, pretty much everything I wanted in a new unit except backup camera. Adding the GPS antenna and Uconnect mic was a breeze and low cost. No flash needed and everything works great. Install took maybe 30 minutes. My budget is less than $1000 to get all the stuff I want and I still think I can meet that mark if I'm careful not to overspend on backup camera part. I'm curious what head unit you went with though?

I have the factory hard rock Nav- ( i guess the 730) as it has the hard drive, bluetooth...

That's why i went with the camera that i did, the alpine one has options for front and rear cameras, and they are cheap compared to this (once you get over the $3k step in cost)

It does work well, and does everything i need it to do

RMC2

Caught the Bug
Adding back up camera to a factory radio is a two step process at the dealer.

First they add the sales code "XAC" (I believe) in one system, then they flash the Jeep using Starscan. I used the instructions for a Grand Cherokee and actually taught the dealer how to do it. Took two tries because they didn't do the first step the first time.

Cost (approximate)
$0 for the dealer flash - they agreed to do it when I bought the jeep. Prices vary.
$23 for the harness
$13 for the camera.

Took 18 months to install the camera because I'm lazy.

To the OP, That looks like a different PAC harness and looks like it doesn't need a flash.

Rubicon310

I got the PAC module installed last night and works great. No dealer flash required. The instructions that come in the box are horrible but I figured it out and works as expected. If anyone is interested, I can do a write up on it. There are already a half dozen back up camera write ups out there but if anyone would specifically want a step by step, I'd be more than glad to write one up.

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug
I got the PAC module installed last night and works great. No dealer flash required. The instructions that come in the box are horrible but I figured it out and works as expected. If anyone is interested, I can do a write up on it. There are already a half dozen back up camera write ups out there but if anyone would specifically want a step by step, I'd be more than glad to write one up.

Excellent! Thanks for the report out. This is the route I'll be going then if I can't find a dealer in town to flash for less than $80

Top Bottom