JW Speaker EVO J VS FOX Shocks Dilemma

DawnPatrol

So I am gradually progressing through my build as funds become available and as it is post Christmas, I have enough funds to buy either a full set of Fox 2.0 Performance Shocks or a set of JW Speaker evolution J headlights. I am currently running a Teraflex 2.5 inch coil lift with shock extensions on the stock Sahara shocks, so eventually I would want to get new shocks and at the same time the headlights on JKs are less than stellar as we all know. So with that being said, any input on which I should get?

jagrubb99

So I am gradually progressing through my build as funds become available and as it is post Christmas, I have enough funds to buy either a full set of Fox 2.0 Performance Shocks or a set of JW Speaker evolution J headlights. I am currently running a Teraflex 2.5 inch coil lift with shock extensions on the stock Sahara shocks, so eventually I would want to get new shocks and at the same time the headlights on JKs are less than stellar as we all know. So with that being said, any input on which I should get?
You really wont get any noticable benefit from the shocks unless you change springs too. Go with headlights.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Those springs are so fucking stuff that the shocks aren't gonna help at all.

Get the JW headlights instead even tho I personally would suggest a different pair

DawnPatrol

Those springs are so fucking stuff that the shocks aren't gonna help at all.

Get the JW headlights instead even tho I personally would suggest a different pair

Damn, I mean my ride has been pretty stiff but is it because the TF coils are just that bad? Which headlights would you suggest? Why not the JWS?

Andy5160

Hooked
Damn, I mean my ride has been pretty stiff but is it because the TF coils are just that bad? Which headlights would you suggest? Why not the JWS?
As stated above teraflx coils are stiff. So you might want to consider upgrading to EVO Plushes. In regards to the lights i did no hear anything bad about JWS other then the price.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Yes it really is cause of the teraflex springs. Prob one of the stiffest springs on the market I have had the pleasure to ride on.

I personally love the truck lites and their output better than JW's. I think they shine farther and are crisper when compared to my friends Jeeps who have JW's

DawnPatrol

As stated above teraflx coils are stiff. So you might want to consider upgrading to EVO Plushes. In regards to the lights i did no hear anything bad about JWS other then the price.

Hmmm ok, I have read really great things about the EVO Plushes and I didn't realize the reason my Girlfriend may love my JK on washboard roads is because of the TF coils..:rolleyes2:...With that being said, I know the TF coils come at about 3.00 inches on the front and 2 5/8 on the rear to eliminate hood rake, would I need to do something of the same with the EVO's?

DawnPatrol

Yes it really is cause of the teraflex springs. Prob one of the stiffest springs on the market I have had the pleasure to ride on.

I personally love the truck lites and their output better than JW's. I think they shine farther and are crisper when compared to my friends Jeeps who have JW's

This is great to hear as we are talking about a potential $200 of extra weight in my wallet! Do the TL's need an anti flicker harness on a 2015 JKU?

I'll agree with this ^^^

Those springs are hard as a rock! I can attest to Steve's statement because I'm now the owner of those exact fucking springs! Thanks Steve![emoji8]

As soon as I can scrape up some money I'm replacing them.

tgoss

Yeah you'll need an anti flicker harness if you do the trucklites. You can't lose with either and honestly it's one of the better spent upgrades for a JK. The stock headlamps are trash.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I'll agree with this ^^^

Those springs are hard as a rock! I can attest to Steve's statement because I'm now the owner of those exact fucking springs! Thanks Steve![emoji8]

As soon as I can scrape up some money I'm replacing them.

Love you! [emoji8]

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

I had exactly the opposite experience between the lights. Before purchasing my JW's, I asked Napalm (Trucklites) and Stick (JW's) to pull up next to each other and shine there lights across a dirt field... as far as low beam light output they appeared to be about equal to my eye, but with the high beams, I could see noticeably further in front of Sticks jeep. :idontknow:

Either light is going to make you happy. :yup:

EDIT:
Check out these Videos reviewing the lights.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, most of your ride quality comes from your coils - NOT your shocks. I would go with new lights and save up for some softer coils.

Stotch

Caught the Bug
Go for the headlights, either the JW or Trucklites will not dissapoint. I don't own either yet, but I've seen them both and they are very comparable. The heated Trucklites are at the top of my light list right now.

As stated earlier the coils make a bigger difference than shocks, but if you really want to improve your ride quality dial in your tire PSI to a nice low number while maintaining good tread wear/contact. Mine rides best on the road around 28 PSI.

KYRubi

I had the 2.5" TF spring lift for a little while. You definitely need to add a good amount of weight to the Jeep if you are going to run it. Otherwise it is really stiff. I really didn't like it during the month I had to wait for the steel bumpers, tire carrier, winch, and armor to come in and get installed. After that, it was OK. The Fox shocks also tend to be stiff. The BDS or TF tuned Fox shocks ride considerably better than the standard Fox shocks in my experience.

Unless you are going to add a bunch of weight, which will lose part of your lift, I wouldn't invest more money in the route you've started because I just don't think that you are going to be happy. I would start over before you have too much invested.

I would go with the new lights and do some additional research into giving your Jeep a suspension you will be really happy with.

DawnPatrol

As mentioned, most of your ride quality comes from your coils - NOT your shocks. I would go with new lights and save up for some softer coils.

Yeah, this is the realization I have come to over the past couple of days. I've had the lift for 3 months now and by no means is the ride unbearable, but definitely stiffer than stock as I am running a pretty light set up. At this point I want to try and strike a balance between a plush ride and limited sag under weight, as I do have plans to add more weight, bumpers, winch, Armour, etc. With this in mind would the Synergy 3 inch or Evo Plush rides be some of my best options?

NecessaryEvil

Caught the Bug
Between the two choices, I would go with new headlights. I run the JW evolution J and love them. I cant speak on Truck Lites behalf but the general consensus is they are great lights too. As far as price, you can find good deals on either. I think I paid about 600.00 for my JWs. I believe TL are a little cheaper until you get the heated TL. Hope are response to your question has helped you. :thumb:

zimm

Caught the Bug
Definitely headlights. I run the JW speakers and they are phenomenal. I even had Quadratec LED's before and gave them to my dad. If I lived in a very snowy climate (more than DC), I would consider the truck light heated. For how little it snows here, at the same time I'm driving at night, it's not a deal breaker to pull over an wipe snow/slush off the lights if needed.

I paid close to $600 I think, and there were Christmas sales selling them for $450-ish. Just don't get em off amazon or other grey market place, JW won't adhere to the warranty if there's a problem.

Top Bottom