Death wobble

Donttread

I have an 08 jkuX and I've had a small amount if wobble since I bought it. This morning it had a pretty bad episode on the highway. My alignment is good, tires are about 90%. Has anyone experienced it and what did you need to replace? The jeeps under complete warranty, but I want to get a decent idea of where they need to look.

-Molon labe-

Donttread

I'm guessing steering stabilizer and track bar would be where to start but I'm just trying to see if anyone's done anything else.

-Molon labe-

Donttread

Hey I really appreciate the link. Cleared a lot of things up. Ill be going over the whole front suspension.

-Molon labe-

PGH08JK

Mine has been bad lately as well, having to come to a complete stop to end the wobble. I do know the ball joints and tie rod ends need replaced, So I am just going to replace it all in one shot. Ball Joints, Tie Rod w/ ends, Trac bar, and Drag link. Good Luck!!

MeatHead

Just had the same problem. I had to change all 4 ball joints, track bar, wheel alignment then ended up getting 4 new tires. I needed the tires anyway. Problem solved. Depending on how old your steering stabilizer is I would change that to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ball joints, tie rod, drag link, check to see if the track bar bolts are tight. Also check to see if the track bar is now bent.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

This link should help you to track down your problem and get it fixed.

A steering stabilizer WILL NOT cause or fix death wobble. At best, it will help to hide it. If you have your suspension/steering dialed in, you don't even need to have one installed.

Donttread

It seems as though a lot of people think the stabilizer is the fix all. I've read a few different topics on forums with that ideal. But I understand how this could definitely only be covering up the real problem. I've had my jeep for a week so I'm going to take it to them and save myself the trouble of ripping things apart and spending my $ on it while its still warranteed

-Molon labe-

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It seems as though a lot of people think the stabilizer is the fix all. I've read a few different topics on forums with that ideal. But I understand how this could definitely only be covering up the real problem. I've had my jeep for a week so I'm going to take it to them and save myself the trouble of ripping things apart and spending my $ on it while its still warranteed

-Molon labe-

That would be the smart thing to do especially being that you're still under warranty - I just hope the guys there know what they're doing. Unfortunately, it's been my experience that most dealerships don't have a clue when it comes to DW.

Donttread

I'm going to give them a call and see what their understanding is of the situation and if they've fixed it before. Hopefully being a jeep dealership they've atleast heard of it.

-Molon labe-

PGH08JK

I'm going to give them a call and see what their understanding is of the situation and if they've fixed it before. Hopefully being a jeep dealership they've atleast heard of it.

-Molon labe-

Good Luck!! Update as soon as you get it sorted, I would love to hear their response!!

Donttread

Could this possibly be caused by a loose lower control arm? My passenger side is very loose to the point where I could rock it back and forth

-Molon labe-

Donttread

I haven't gotten a chance to really take a good look at it, we're having some crappy weather right now but the bushing could be bad as well

-Molon labe-

BSHEPHER

I had the notorious Death Wobble and after having custom truck builders look at it and spending a a lot of money on trying to fix it, I read a article about tire pressure. I am running 33 with a 5" lift with Toyo 10 ply tire and the magical fix for me was running 50 psi while on the road. Who know if it was just my rig or maybe there is something to it

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had the notorious Death Wobble and after having custom truck builders look at it and spending a a lot of money on trying to fix it, I read a article about tire pressure. I am running 33 with a 5" lift with Toyo 10 ply tire and the magical fix for me was running 50 psi while on the road. Who know if it was just my rig or maybe there is something to it

50 psi??? :shock:

Putting that much air hasn't fixed anything, it just reduced the amount of physical contact your tires have with the ground. If you really have death wobble, you have a loose, worn out out damaged steering or suspension components and you really should try and get that fixed. Click on the link below as it contains good tips on how to find and fix your problem.

http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?...s-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it

biggy

That must be like riding on four round rocks. My toyo tires are at 26psi.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I896 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bl17z90

When I had mine everyone who i know personally said the same thing and they were right. Track bar came loose and the excessive movement caused the hole in the mount on the axle to egg out (enlarge) so the hole was now too wide and gave more than enough room for the axle to shift back and forth when I hit a bump the wrong way. My buddy welded a 9/16 washer on the outside of the mount and I put a 9/16 bolt in there with a sturdier nut on the other side and no problems since. The problem could be at the axle or the frame, and companies make relocation brackets that could fix your problem that might improve your ride for other reasons as well. I almost bought the evo drag link flip kit but my lift is just a tad bit too low to use it properly.

Good luck :thumb:

Irishcoffee

Just ask a friend to borrow his tires, put them in the same order, presuure as shown on your pillar and hit speed to 40-45 mph. If shimmy pull over and run smooth; check again all front bars etcetc as shown in Eddies link.
I swapped tyres with new ones and everything was back to normal!
Cheers
John

Donttread

I had the track bar swapped out and still had it. Ended up having high road force numbers on my front tires. Got a new set of 33' wildpeaks and bam. Cool runnings. Gave me an excuse to get my tires early.

-Molon labe-

Shaka

Nice! Been following your problemo as my TJ almost sent me to an early grave last weekend and a reminder not to wear white underwear.

Top Bottom