Vibration Issue..

Timberman

Hi Guys!

I have a vibration that has me puzzled:thinking:.

I am fresh off a complete axle overhaul front and rear (ARB's, 4:56 Yukon gears, Synergy ball joints, Ten Shafts, Teraflex D44 front housing, the whole 9 yards) as well as a new driveline (Adams 1310) and I am getting this vibration that starts at 60mph and progressively gets worse the faster I go. My first suspicion was that I had tires out of balance. I had all four tires rebalanced (they were all slightly off) and the vibration remains. I've also tried multiple different PSI setting which have also not yielded anything promising.

Now, the vibration is not too bad to where you think something is going to fall off, but it definitely seems as if something isn't seated correctly.. The vibration appeared only after all of that work to the axles.

Also, I get a bump when I am at full-lock in forward and reverse as well. It feels the same as what you would feel at full-lock in 4wd, but it happens in 2wd. This didn't happen before the Axle work either.

Any thoughts?

Timberman

WJCO

Meme King
Remove the front drive shaft and drive it again. That may point you in the right direction. As far as the bump, hard to say. I would double check control arm bolts and track bar bolts and drag link nuts.

Timberman

Remove the front drive shaft and drive it again. That may point you in the right direction. As far as the bump, hard to say. I would double check control arm bolts and track bar bolts and drag link nuts.

My next step was removing to remove the drive line which I will do so this weekend.

I just got done investing a TON of CASH in the axles and the only thing that makes me nervous is if there is something going on with the front Axle. I have already done the 500 mile gear oil change and the look of the oil did not indicate anything was wrong. I will double check all of the bolts when I'm down under there this weekend and see if that helps.

Many thanks for the advice!!

Timberman

JeepFan

Hooked
What would you consider to be excessive runnout?

Thanks guys!!
Anything over .003-.005 is a potential issue. What I would do is put the rear axle on jack stands so the wheels can be spun up to 5/10 mph. Then, watch the drive shaft at both ends to see if you notice any run-out.You shouldn't see any run-out whatsoever.

Check the front as well.

jeeeep

Hooked
Hi Guys!

I have a vibration that has me puzzled:thinking:.

I am fresh off a complete axle overhaul front and rear (ARB's, 4:56 Yukon gears, Synergy ball joints, Ten Shafts, Teraflex D44 front housing, the whole 9 yards) as well as a new driveline (Adams 1310) and I am getting this vibration that starts at 60mph and progressively gets worse the faster I go. My first suspicion was that I had tires out of balance. I had all four tires rebalanced (they were all slightly off) and the vibration remains. I've also tried multiple different PSI setting which have also not yielded anything promising.

Now, the vibration is not too bad to where you think something is going to fall off, but it definitely seems as if something isn't seated correctly.. The vibration appeared only after all of that work to the axles.

Also, I get a bump when I am at full-lock in forward and reverse as well. It feels the same as what you would feel at full-lock in 4wd, but it happens in 2wd. This didn't happen before the Axle work either.
Any thoughts?

Timberman

Which direction are you steering when you get the bump?

remove the steering stabilizer and test full lock, it's possible the SS is hitting/catching on something (diff cover) or the steering bump stops are not set properly.

JAGS

Hooked

This. ^^

That is most likely a driveline vibration. Could be the DS itself or could be the new axle messing with the pinion angle, etc.

Top Bottom