Used Dynatrac PR 44 questions buying and installing

JKU Arizona

Had a question on purchasing a used front Dynatrac Prorock 44. Is it worth purchasing a used unit if the price is right ($1,000). or would I be better off saving for a new one?

Also another question how hard is it to transfer all my original internals over to PR from a d44 from a Rubicon? is this something i could do without fancy tools?

Thanks in advance...

Here are some pictures of the axle. 506283674.jpg 506283698.jpg 506283857.jpg 506286065.jpg 506286078.jpg 506286105.jpg 506286122.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
First off, you need to verify that this PR44 was made for factory Rubicon internals. If it wasn't, you can't swap your Rubicon locker into it.

WJCO

Meme King
That's a great price for the housing and it already has the prosteer ball joints installed as well.

JKU Arizona

First off, you need to verify that this PR44 was made for factory Rubicon internals. If it wasn't, you can't swap your Rubicon locker into it.

yeah, it fits into a Rubicon it's set up for e-lockers. Erik from Dynatrac has been great an answering questions about fitment and what to look for.

JKU Arizona

That's a great price for the housing and it already has the prosteer ball joints installed as well.

The seller is saying 2 ball joints need compete replacing because the shaft are damaged. and other 2 can be rebuilt just not sure what ball joints are good.

I was thinking I could list my front axle for sale after I get the PR installed for like $500 and make half back. Not sure how easy Rubicon Front axles sell.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
The seller is saying 2 ball joints need compete replacing because the shaft are damaged. and other 2 can be rebuilt just not sure what ball joints are good.

I was thinking I could list my front axle for sale after I get the PR installed for like $500 and make half back. Not sure how easy Rubicon Front axles sell.

Someone will definitely buy a stock Rubi front axle.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

Not to derail, but the OP may be thinking this, too. Surely, if he were to want an ARB locker, in the future, that can be made to work, right?

Exodus 4x4

Not to derail, but the OP may be thinking this, too. Surely, if he were to want an ARB locker, in the future, that can be made to work, right?

The difference is the bearing journals. I originally purchased a PR44 set up for factory parts. Now I'm switching to a 35 spline OX locker. It's basically a non Rubicon locker turned down to accommodate the metric bearings. You also have to knock out a bushing that has been installed to accommodate the smaller D44 axle shaft seals IF you are going to the larger 35 spline shafts since they require a D60 seal.

notnalc68

The difference is the bearing journals. I originally purchased a PR44 set up for factory parts. Now I'm switching to a 35 spline OX locker. It's basically a non Rubicon locker turned down to accommodate the metric bearings. You also have to knock out a bushing that has been installed to accommodate the smaller D44 axle shaft seals IF you are going to the larger 35 spline shafts since they require a D60 seal.

Thanks. Good info to know.

JKU Arizona

So would this axle be a direct fit. would my internals for a stock d44 from a Rubi fit directly inside the axle. Would i need to purchase any other components to make it work? Just wondering how much more money it's going to cost to have it installed. I'm planning on doing all the work myself.

Exodus 4x4

So would this axle be a direct fit. would my internals for a stock d44 from a Rubi fit directly inside the axle. Would i need to purchase any other components to make it work? Just wondering how much more money it's going to cost to have it installed. I'm planning on doing all the work myself.

It's a direct fit and you shouldn't need any other components. If you've done gears before it should be pretty easy for you.

Exodus 4x4

Never done gears before. This would be all new territory. I'm not re-gearing yet and hoping i could just un-bolt components and re-bolt them into the new housing.

It's not that easy then. You'll need to have the carrier and pinion set whether your doing a regear or not. Don't take this the wrong way, but if you didn't already know that then you probably shouldn't try and do this yourself.

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug

Not to derail either but don't they now make an ARB that replaces the factory locker?

Top Bottom