Lockers

GraniteCrystal

I wouldn't waste money locking a Dana 30. Money is better spent buying a Rubicon takeoff or, much better yet, getting an aftermarket axle such as a ProRock 44

bapicella

What electric lockers do people prefer? I'm trying to decide which one I want. I am locking front and rear, Dana 30 front and 44 rear

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

If your re gearing your 30 then doing a locker at the same time is just the cost of parts. I decided to go with arb, but was highly considering an elocker from eaton. Neither is a bad choice just air vs electric. Arb locks up immediately and elockers will take about half a revolution of the tires to lock up. Going with a PR44 in my opinion is not needed for the weekend warrior, just have to play safe and watch wheel spin. Don't let anyone talk you out of locking a 30, I did it and wouldn't have done it any other way. I'm going to run my axles into the ground before I upgrade housings. Just my opinion and everyone will tell you something a little different from one another.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
What electric lockers do people prefer? I'm trying to decide which one I want. I am locking front and rear, Dana 30 front and 44 rear

Depending on what gear ratio you plan on running I would highly suggest not locking the 30. When you get into the higher ratios the R&P gets smaller and easier to break just as an open diff. Lock everything up adding more stress and now it's even easier.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, locking up a Dana 30 isn't something I would recommend. People who want to lock up a front axle are typically playing hard enough to break things and a locker will only help to encourage that on a 30.

Well, I'm gonna run my factory Rubicon lockers until they give out, then I'm going with ARB. I have 15 year old ARB air lockers in my "68 Jeepster (D30 front / D44 rear from 72 Commando) and have never had an issue with them. Granted, I'm only running 33's on it, so the sir-locked D30 is more than adequate.

If you want a locked front end, but want to keep the D30, get an ARB.

No, I don't work for ARB.:cheesy:

According to your profile, you have an 08 on 33's. IMHO a selectable locker will be just fine with your horsepower to torque to tires size ratio!

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I'm gonna run my factory Rubicon lockers until they give out, then I'm going with ARB. I have 15 year old ARB air lockers in my "68 Jeepster (D30 front / D44 rear from 72 Commando) and have never had an issue with them. Granted, I'm only running 33's on it, so the sir-locked D30 is more than adequate.

If you want a locked front end, but want to keep the D30, get an ARB.

No, I don't work for ARB.:cheesy:

FWIW, I ran an ARB on my old TJ and it had a Dana 30. Of course, my TJ was a lot LIGHTER than a JK and that's really where the difference comes into play. That being said, I agree that an ARB is the way to go especially being that it's selectable and what you really want on a front axle (aside from something like a TruTrac) but my concern is always that guys with front lockers tend to "try harder". Or at least, that's what I've always seen and with that, I have also seen a lot more breaks.

FWIW, I ran an ARB on my old TJ and it had a Dana 30. Of course, my TJ was a lot LIGHTER than a JK and that's really where the difference comes into play. That being said, I agree that an ARB is the way to go especially being that it's selectable and what you really want on a front axle (aside from something like a TruTrac) but my concern is always that guys with front lockers tend to "try harder". Or at least, that's what I've always seen and with that, I have also seen a lot more breaks.

I like that...the tendency to "try harder"

Very true though...you can't take human nature out of it. And telling someone to understand the limits of their setup can fall on deaf ears. I'm a bit more conservative of a wheeler...but I think I might be the minority.

tgoss

I would definitely run ARB's instead of an e-locker personally but if you are dead set on a e-locker I would take a look at Eaton's.

And as most everyone has said, don't bother locking the D30 unless you truly don't care about being a liability on the trail.

Jeepfan30

For a D30 I would suggest a Truetrac instead of a locker. You will get better traction than open, but not as much stress on the gears as a locker. Truetrac is about half the price of a selectable locker also.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
For a D30 I would suggest a Truetrac instead of a locker. You will get better traction than open, but not as much stress on the gears as a locker. Truetrac is about half the price of a selectable locker also.

As I mentioned above, I'd agree on the TruTrac recommendation.

bapicella

I was able to get a used locker and gears for my 30 (parts and install) for less then 1k. I couldn't afford to upgrade to an aftermarket axle like a prorock that cost thousands more. Like most have said, your r&p are the weak point on the 30. If you wheel with this in mind, watch wheel spin and play safe you should be fine for a while. I know many people that are still running 30s waiting for them to break. I'm not saying a 30 won't break, because there are plenty of examples where they do.

bapicella

I am not sure where you are located but check CL locally. Just doing a quick search came across 3, one for as low as 200$. You might be able to catch a great deal on one, then run it as long as you can.

damn, browser crashed while writing post. Well, short of it, I got an Eaton in the rear, open in the front. Didn't have the budget for onboard air.

There's a nice educational video on youtube that describes the operations of different lockers, ARB, Yukon, Eaton and Ox. Also, you can see why the eaton might take longer to engage or disengage.

bapicella

damn, browser crashed while writing post. Well, short of it, I got an Eaton in the rear, open in the front. Didn't have the budget for onboard air.

There's a nice educational video on youtube that describes the operations of different lockers, ARB, Yukon, Eaton and Ox. Also, you can see why the eaton might take longer to engage or disengage.

Eaton is still a great choice!

Coop

Caught the Bug

I run Eaton E-lockers. I haven't notice a delay in engaging, but there is a delay in releasing. You have to have all torque off the axle. Takes being aware of your surroundings and anticipating the need to release so you can steer. If only I could develop that ability! I kind guessed the ARBs would be similar?

JKU08

Could you post the video or a link to it

Top Bottom