Popping sound when going forward or reverse from stop

dashizzzkat

2011 2dr JK 6 speed 3.5 lift. recently I have been hearing a popping type sound which seems like its around transfer case area but cant seem to pin down exactly where its coming from. Happened when I take off from a stop sometimes but will happen every time if I go from forward to reverse or vice versa. Recently had EVO long arm upgrade kit installed and not sure if it can be the control arms or if its normal for them to make those sounds, or if its tranny or transfer case or drive shaft going.

WJCO

Meme King
2011 2dr JK 6 speed 3.5 lift. recently I have been hearing a popping type sound which seems like its around transfer case area but cant seem to pin down exactly where its coming from. Happened when I take off from a stop sometimes but will happen every time if I go from forward to reverse or vice versa. Recently had EVO long arm upgrade kit installed and not sure if it can be the control arms or if its normal for them to make those sounds, or if its tranny or transfer case or drive shaft going.

Post a video/audio if you can. There is some powertrain slack that may be normal, but hard to say if that's what you're hearing.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
A pop or a clunk that occurs when accelerating or stopping is often times caused by something that is shifting. Typically, a loose suspension component bolt.

jmpen

Check your rear lower shock bolts. It's wierd the way the sound can seem like it's coming from somewhere else. If it is a loose component, you might be able to replicate it by having someone rock Jeep while you try to isolate.

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

dashizzzkat

Check your rear lower shock bolts. It's wierd the way the sound can seem like it's coming from somewhere else. If it is a loose component, you might be able to replicate it by having someone rock Jeep while you try to isolate.

Sent from my XT1650 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Doesnt make the sound if i rock or push it..only when driving in gear. One of my lower rear shocks does have some play though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

It's hard to say for sure what I'm hearing but if you're referring to the "clunk-clunk" sound, it definitely sounds like something is shift or making contact with another component and NOT drive train related. If you insist that the sound is coming from the transfer case area, I would carefully look at the skid plate to make sure things like transfer case itself or maybe the exhaust are not making contact with the skid. If you've bent the skid, it could put it really close to either or both and accelerating or decelerating can cause them to make contact. I would also check your transmission mount bolts to make sure they aren't loose. Otherwise, a loose control arm bolt can make a similar sound especially if it's at the frame. Sound travels and you need to look for things.

jeeeep

Hooked
coils not seated properly will clunk like that as the axle shifts from a stopped position.
doesn't matter if moving forward or reverse

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Kind of had the same sound. Have you had any lights come on? Abs tree? I had abs lights come on but came on after the fact. Had the popping for a couple weeks thought it was the back lash on gears. Then my driver side rear locked up. Ended up having a. Lien bearing on the shaft and was hitting the tone ring. Could check that. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

RMC2

Caught the Bug
I have a similar sounding issue that is coming from the transfer case/tranny area. I have already had a new transfer case installed under warranty after the input shaft splines were stripped, just after taking it in for the noise. Noise has came back, but I haven't taken it back in. Sounds like a worn driveshaft u-joint (but of course isn't) if you ever heard one. I thought rear gears, mechanic thought tranny before the transfer case died 3 miles later.

An easy way to check this area, jack up a rear tire and rotate the wheel back and forth. If you don't hear it, it is something else like a suspension part. If you do, drive train.

Last edited:

dashizzzkat

Ended up being 2 things..First was a cracked drivers side u-joint. changing that got rid of most of the sound but I still had a popping under hard braking. The second was the upper control arm bolts. the threads created grooves in the bracket and bushing sleeves. When shifting side to side the pop came from the threads sliding over the grooves. I replaced them with bolts that didn't have threads all the way through. figured this out by hooking up a gopro underneath.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Ended up being 2 things..First was a cracked drivers side u-joint. changing that got rid of most of the sound but I still had a popping under hard braking. The second was the upper control arm bolts. the threads created grooves in the bracket and bushing sleeves. When shifting side to side the pop came from the threads sliding over the grooves. I replaced them with bolts that didn't have threads all the way through. figured this out by hooking up a gopro underneath.

I may have to check these.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

DMF

I have RK control arms and when I had a broken joint it made similar sound every time my axle shift such as going forward or reverse.

Top Bottom