Evap Canister woes

jmeredith

So I was out wheeling this weekend, got hung up pretty good on some rocks and my evap canister took a hard hit, how much is it to replace? And should I get the relocate kit for it? Also I'm getting a "gascap" warning but my cap is tight, could that be associated with the broken canister?

-Jason

Attachments

• image-2819623565.jpg
    image-2819623565.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 232

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If that's the only piece that broke, I'm pretty sure it's only about $5 to replace. The whole unit is $75.

The gascap light you see IS related to this break and fixing it will make it go away.

jmeredith

If that's the only piece that broke, I'm pretty sure it's only about $5 to replace. The whole unit is $75.

The gascap light you see IS related to this break and fixing it will make it go away.

Awesome! I have to crawl under and take a look but hopefully that's all that broke :)

Thanks Eddie!

Serg5000

Here is a good place for relocation. It cost about $12 for some hose and clamps.

Attachments

• image-3860053085.jpg
    image-3860053085.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 213

kb3ejw

do the '12 and newer jk's have this issue....i have looked for skids for my '12 JKU Rubicon,but have not found any skids yet.are they just a little behind on development??or did jeep move it out of the way????i have not been under my jeep since i put the diff slider on.that was like July??

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! I have to crawl under and take a look but hopefully that's all that broke :)

Thanks Eddie!

do the '12 and newer jk's have this issue....i have looked for skids for my '12 JKU Rubicon,but have not found any skids yet.are they just a little behind on development??or did jeep move it out of the way????i have not been under my jeep since i put the diff slider on.that was like July??

The 2012's come with a skid as shown in the photo above. For the most part, it does the job just fine and doesn't need to be replaced. The fact that the OP knocked off the valve is kind of a fluke. I wouldn't worry too much about it as it's just an EVAP canister. If needed, you can totally run your Jeep without it and without any problems.

Hightower

Eddie I bought and installed a skid plate for mine do you guys just run yours in the stock location with no protection?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie I bought and installed a skid plate for mine do you guys just run yours in the stock location with no protection?

Yep. Over 6 years running and still have ours in the stock location and without any protection. Have I knocked mine off? You bet, about 6 times now but only had to replace it twice.

kevinp

I went the more expensive route. :sigh:

I bought a Pure Jeep evap relocation/skid plate kit before I knew any better. I mean, it's pretty save. It's tucked away over the rear axle with a 3/16" skid plate under it, so if it gets damaged, I'm sure I have bigger problems.

jmeredith

Eddie, did you go the dealer route for replacement or is this something I can find online? Dealer wants like 149 for just the canister and I'm not sure if that will include the sensor on the end that was demolished.

-Jason

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, did you go the dealer route for replacement or is this something I can find online? Dealer wants like 149 for just the canister and I'm not sure if that will include the sensor on the end that was demolished.

-Jason

Yup, got mine at a local dealership and paid $75 back in October of last year. Sounds like you're getting ripped off at yours.

GCM 2

Surprisingly after four years of "peacocking" at car shows and mall crawling, my original evaporation canister is still holding in there ;)

jmeredith

Haha well this was my first trip out with the rubicon, just had a bad line going up a rocky ridge, got a little hung up and well y'all know how that goes :)

kevinp

Surprisingly after four years of "peacocking" at car shows and mall crawling, my original evaporation canister is still holding in there ;)

Without the mall crawling reference, this carries a different meaning to Jeepers on Oahu. One of the two legal areas to wheel is called Peacock Flats. I posted a vid in the appropriate section, and that was of some of the easier trails. I had to read this reply twice THEN look at GCM's location to make sure he wasn't talking about this area. :)

jmeredith

So I went ahead and ordered the new canister and sensor, I pulled the "old" one off and wonder if its ok for me to drive a bit with it off, I tucked the hoses an wires up out if the way, have about. Half a talk of fuel so I don't need to fuel up and other than the check engine light are there any other concerns? I need to go pick up the replacement can today

-J

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I went ahead and ordered the new canister and sensor, I pulled the "old" one off and wonder if its ok for me to drive a bit with it off, I tucked the hoses an wires up out if the way, have about. Half a talk of fuel so I don't need to fuel up and other than the check engine light are there any other concerns? I need to go pick up the replacement can today

-J

Trust me, you'll be fine.

Top Bottom