What are your thoughts on Rubicon Express control arms?

JeepNfish20

A local off road shop told me to upgrade to adjustable lower control arms to fix some issues I have with wandering, bump steer, and body roll. They recommended Rubicon Express adjustable front lowers and was wondering how these are. By the way this is for my 2 door jk on a 2.5 inch lift

For $200 more if it's in your budget, you can get evo's front lowers. They come with Johnny joints on both ends. I have no experience with Rubi express components, but I have not heard the best feedback on them from others either.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
A local off road shop told me to upgrade to adjustable lower control arms to fix some issues I have with wandering, bump steer, and body roll. They recommended Rubicon Express adjustable front lowers and was wondering how these are. By the way this is for my 2 door jk on a 2.5 inch lift
They prob are not the best ones you can get but for how many issues you have been having it wouldn't hurt to get a cheap set to see if it fixes it. I personally think you should get the evo front lowers but it is your money.
You shouldn't need adjustable arms at 2.5". I'd check all your suspension bolts for correct torque first then ball joints and bearings.

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app
If you read his other thread he already did ball joints and such. Also on a 2 door a stiff 2.5" lift will push you way over 3". My 2.5 teraflex lift had me close to 3.5" where I needed front lowers and draglink flip to calm everything down

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You shouldn't need adjustable arms at 2.5". I'd check all your suspension bolts for correct torque first then ball joints and bearings.

Not exactly. Most 2.5" coil lifts yield way more than 3" of actual lift and even at just 2.5", your caster will be off enough to cause some people to feel their handling has been compromised.

Adjustable front lower control arms will allow you to add back a bit more caster and that will help with some of what you're feeling especially with the wandering. Rubicon Express used to be a good company and one that I have run parts from back in the TJ days. However, they are not the company that they once were and I have seen them have quite a few bushing failure problems. I personally would recommend you look at something else. Your shop is probably just recommending them because they have them in stock or they make the most profit from selling them.

BananaJeep

Caught the Bug
I've ran R.E. on my rig and have had suspension parts fail. I think there's better out for your money.

GregMort13

Caught the Bug
Agreed. Im going through something similar.

Corrected my body roll by a raised rear trackbar mount. At least thats what corrected mine

Bumpsteer will be corrected by Front Lower Control Arms or a drag link flip, but you should not need a flip kit.

As cozdude and others have stated. A 2.5" lift of a 2 door will lift you much higher and you will run into these problems. If it was my money, as stated, i would spring for the evo lowers.

BaddestCross

My bad, didn't realize he was the same guy as the other thread. Also, I figure when someone says they have x" of lift they measured it and actually had x" of lift. 😎

Sent from my SM-N915P using WAYALIFE mobile app

I had a shop recommend RE front lower control arms as well he said he runs them on his rig(which he does) and they seemed very beefy! Now they have johnny joints on the axle end which is nice but the frame side is the normal bushing. The owner said he's been running them for awhile. Thanks to WJCO I saw he recommended CORE4x4 and they have a really good warranty from what I read in their site, and they have affordable pricing!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had a shop recommend RE front lower control arms as well he said he runs them on his rig(which he does) and they seemed very beefy! Now they have johnny joints on the axle end which is nice but the frame side is the normal bushing. The owner said he's been running them for awhile. Thanks to WJCO I saw he recommended CORE4x4 and they have a really good warranty from what I read in their site, and they have affordable pricing!

Like TeraFlex and a host of other companies, RE may use a spherical joint on their control arms but they are NOT Currie made "Johnny Joints". Or, at least to the best of my knowledge.

WJCO

Meme King

Like TeraFlex and a host of other companies, RE may use a spherical joint on their control arms but they are NOT Currie made "Johnny Joints". Or, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Yep. The RE arms use a flex joint (not Johnny Joint) on one end and a rubber bushing on the other end. Core4x4 uses a Currie Johnny Joint on one end and a rubber on the other end. That being said, I looked up Core4x4's new Teir 4 arms which will have Currie Johnny Joints on both ends.

Yep. The RE arms use a flex joint (not Johnny Joint) on one end and a rubber bushing on the other end. Core4x4 uses a Currie Johnny Joint on one end and a rubber on the other end. That being said, I looked up Core4x4's new Teir 4 arms which will have Currie Johnny Joints on both ends.

Thanks for the clarification guys! I was told johnny joints so I'll update my archive of info! I think knowing they don't have the Currie joints I'd feel more comfortable with the core arms!

Top Bottom