rubi 4.10's in D30?

jeffd

Will 4.10 or even 3.73 gears taken out of a Rubicon D44 work in a D30 if a new carrier is purchased or is the D30 housing too small? Ie is it possible to buy take off gears from a new Rubicon that went to 4.88's and put them in a new jku that was currently running 3.21's? I know the front carrier for 3.21's is different then for 3.73 on up but was wondering there would be other issues if the rubicon gears were different animal then non rubi gears as well. thanks

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
ok thanks that makes sense. Is it possible to find 4.10's for D30?

In 2007, there were X and Sahara model JK's that came with 4.10 gears in their tow package. However, I personally wouldn't waste your money regearing unless you were planning on going 4.88 or higher.

DanMojo82

yes you can. I know Omix-ada has them for sure for a d30. Have you looked on here or jk-forum or even on craigslist for a used d44? you can often times get them for close to if not cheaper than the cost of new gears, carriers and labor.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
yes you can. I know Omix-ada has them for sure for a d30. Have you looked on here or jk-forum or even on craigslist for a used d44? you can often times get them for close to if not cheaper than the cost of new gears, carriers and labor.

Even if you could get them for free, you'd still need to get a new install kit and pay for labor.

I still stand by the fact that it makes no sense to regear unless you're going to go 4.88 or higher. But, that's just me.

DanMojo82

I agree with you, i had originally said that if I were I him I would just go to 4.88, but then I didn't know what size tires he was going to run. No sense in telling him to get 5.13's for a 37's if he's still got a 30. So I just went with the "find a used 44 approach" :beer:

jeffd

max tire size is going to 33" I have a 2013 with auto and spend a good portion of my time at 75-80mph. Not really thinking I want to be any deeper then 4.10's. My wife is short and that pretty much prevents a lift other then a leveling type lift so I figure I will be safe with 33's at best. It is a DD and my vehicles do about 20,000 miles a year or so. I actually thing 3.73s would work for me but I made the mistake of getting 3.21's.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with you, i had originally said that if I were I him I would just go to 4.88, but then I didn't know what size tires he was going to run. No sense in telling him to get 5.13's for a 37's if he's still got a 30. So I just went with the "find a used 44 approach" :beer:

Got it :beer:

max tire size is going to 33" I have a 2013 with auto and spend a good portion of my time at 75-80mph. Not really thinking I want to be any deeper then 4.10's. My wife is short and that pretty much prevents a lift other then a leveling type lift so I figure I will be safe with 33's at best. It is a DD and my vehicles do about 20,000 miles a year or so. I actually thing 3.73s would work for me but I made the mistake of getting 3.21's.

Did you make sure to properly calibrate your speedometer after installing your 33's? If not, you need to as that will get your shift points where they need to be and it will help things out a lot.

jeffd

Got it :beer:

Did you make sure to properly calibrate your speedometer after installing your 33's? If not, you need to as that will get your shift points where they need to be and it will help things out a lot.

I am currently running 265/75-16's and I have not actually gotten 33's yet. Yes I did recalibrate with the aev procal and my speedo and odometer are spot on to the gnats ass per 2 diff garmin gps units. I am happy with how it goes now but thinking with the 33's (I have a chance to get some brand new new 255/80-17's bfg on factory rims for a good deal) that I will be a bit under powered compared to what I have now as there is about 1.5 to 2" actual difference in height.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently running 265/75-16's and I have not actually gotten 33's yet. Yes I did recalibrate with the aev procal and my speedo and odometer are spot on to the gnats ass per 2 diff garmin gps units. I am happy with how it goes now but thinking with the 33's (I have a chance to get some brand new new 255/80-17's bfg on factory rims for a good deal) that I will be a bit under powered compared to what I have now as there is about 1.5 to 2" actual difference in height.

LOL at spot on to the gnats ass :cheesy:

Seriously, before you get all worried about power loss, try it. I can almost guarantee you that it won't be so bad with your 3.6L :yup:

JKBANDIT55

LOL at spot on to the gnats ass :cheesy:

Seriously, before you get all worried about power loss, try it. I can almost guarantee you that it won't be so bad with your 3.6L :yup:

I 2nd this. I just purchased 35s for my 2012 with 3.73s and I still dont feel a need to re gear. And Im not even calibrated yet! My jeep is running better than my 07 with 4.10s and 35s!!

Love this new 3.6L

kb3ejw

you are driving an off-road vehicle,why the heck are you doing 75-80 miles an hour in a vehicle not setup for that type of driving????????

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, out in Utah, you'd get run over if you did anything less than 75. Some sections of I-15 are 80 MPH and the big rig land trains are doing it. :shock:

TLAW719

Haha yeah knowing from experience once a lot of the big rig drivers get out of California they hammer down and do the posted speed limit or a couple over.

jeffd

you are driving an off-road vehicle,why the heck are you doing 75-80 miles an hour in a vehicle not setup for that type of driving????????

Well so far it is set up for that kind of driving it is a 2013 JKU with hard top and runs down the highway smooth as silk at those speeds. I live in Montana where the speed limit on the interstate is 75 and most secondary roads are 70mph and it is unlawful to hold traffic up. You try driving across this state at under 75mph and see if you are still sane lol. When I first started driving in the early 70's we did not even have a speed limit. We went away from a speed limit for a while in the late 90's early 2000's but unfortuneately it did not stick and we are back to 75.

Top Bottom