CAI and mudding/water crossing

JK12

How likely would it be if i had an CAI to get hydrolocked if i was mudding or doing high water crossings?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being in AZ, I seriously doubt you'll have deep enough mud or water to cross for it to be an issue. Having said that, it really depends on how fast and reckless you go through the mud or water. Take your time and do things right and you'll be surprised at how deep you can go even with a CAI.

JK12

Being in AZ, I seriously doubt you'll have deep enough mud or water to cross for it to be an issue. Having said that, it really depends on how fast and reckless you go through the mud or water. Take your time and do things right and you'll be surprised at how deep you can go even with a CAI.

Even if i do hit a good size puddle going a good speed, would i have to worry about anything?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Even if i do hit a good size puddle going a good speed, would i have to worry about anything?

You would have to worry even if you didn't have a CAI. Oh yeah, pretty much all the hydrolocks I've seen were on Jeeps with factoy airboxes.

Good speed through water = BAD IDEA

JK12

You would have to worry even if you didn't have a CAI. Oh yeah, pretty much all the hydrolocks I've seen were on Jeeps with factoy airboxes.

Good speed through water = BAD IDEA

Lol! i guess i'll be done with fast speeds and mud and or water.. ah would mud be as much as an issue? even if its super think mud?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol! i guess i'll be done with fast speeds and mud and or water.. ah would mud be as much as an issue? even if its super think mud?

You just want to be weary of anything that can get sucked into your motor. Sticky thick mud should be okay to hit fast. In fact, it's pretty much the only thing you can do.

JK12

You just want to be weary of anything that can get sucked into your motor. Sticky thick mud should be okay to hit fast. In fact, it's pretty much the only thing you can do.

yea water i never really get to see much of but mud i do and thats what i was wondering cause in Heartland you guys went through some thick mud and you seem to make it fine through that without a problem

kb3ejw

this is what we deal with in Jersey..the pines are fun and what i build for.this is an old pic of my LR D2.and my XJ b4 the Rover and now my '12 JKU Rubicon it is a work in progress.if u don't plan on seeing water/mud holes deep enough to swallow a D2,then ur good with a CAI system.
DSC_4022.jpg

9025_1168319725466_1152146759_30517975_1853727_n.jpg

022.jpg

Holeshot

Banned
to me, If you're not crossing water higher than your bumper/winch, the CAI should be ok.

Here, we have like 40% to 50% of the lands covered in water. Trails often has deep creeks or small rivers, beaver habitat, etc. that come across our way and need to be crossed, and the biggest fear we can have is to catch a drop and sink the hood under water :icon_crazy:

All depends on your needs, but here, Snorkle for the win :thumb:

Linebacker

Caught the Bug

I dunno. Seems every time we get hammered with a good storm we make the national news when someone tries to cross a seriously raging wash. Couldn't find any Jeeps in trouble 'cause maybe we're a little smarter when we're on road.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
to me, If you're not crossing water higher than your bumper/winch, the CAI should be ok.

Here, we have like 40% to 50% of the lands covered in water. Trails often has deep creeks or small rivers, beaver habitat, etc. that come across our way and need to be crossed, and the biggest fear we can have is to catch a drop and sink the hood under water :icon_crazy:

All depends on your needs, but here, Snorkle for the win :thumb:

I have heard other stories about hydrolocking an engine without even crossing water. That heat shield that attaches to the underside of the hood can collect water and if you hit a water crossing hard enough, it can hold enough water to get sucked into your engine and kill it that way. You don't always have to be driving through water to kill the engine.

*Not trying to scare anyway*

Holeshot

Banned
haha yes it could happen, but IMHO you must be badlucked for this to happen... or just drive smarter and slow down before hitting water holes :thumb:

JK12

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm thinking ill get an airraid like Moby has or an enclosed box

Top Bottom