Dynatrac Hardcore PR60/60 axle set installation questions and insight

The Cock Father

Coming to the Mecca of Knowledge!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Dynatrac 60s for my 2016 Rubicon. How easy is the swap?

Thinking about the E locker option so I can hopefully retain factory switch. Is this possible?

Any other insight?

Local shop is really pushing Dana Ultimate 60s for about the same price, but I'm pretty convinced I want the Dynatracs.

Thanks!

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Coming to the Mecca of Knowledge!

I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of Dynatrac 60s for my 2016 Rubicon. How easy is the swap?

Thinking about the E locker option so I can hopefully retain factory switch. Is this possible?

Any other insight?

Local shop is really pushing Dana Ultimate 60s for about the same price, but I'm pretty convinced I want the Dynatracs.

Thanks!

Super easy. Just unbolt your stock axle and bolt the dynatrac in. Only extra thing you would need to do is install the new driveshafts and that's easy as well.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Super easy. Just unbolt your stock axle and bolt the dynatrac in. Only extra thing you would need to do is install the new driveshafts and that's easy as well.

What he said ^^^

Assuming you get your axle completely built, it should just bolt right up. You will NEED new drive shafts front and rear.

Oh, and please don't let a vendor, a business that makes their living selling you stuff, push you into buying things.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
Not really feasible to retain the factory switch. Use a good switch panel like one from Painless Performance or Switch Pros to control the lockers you choose, and have the freedom to control your lockers independently whenever you see fit, unlike the stock lockers.

As for the axles themselves, Dynatrac axles are vastly superior in quality. The welds and brackets are stronger. The axle end forgings (C's) are significantly stronger and thicker. They have an actual warranty unlike the Spicer axles. Should I go on? Just get the Dynatrac axles. You won't regret it.

Last edited:

rockwell

I'm looking to do the same thing and I'd like to use the factory switches too. I have seen that it could be done but I have to research it more. Shouldn't be anything a relay or two can't accomplish.

Ddays

Hooked
Are E-Lockers even an option on the PR60 packages?

Edit: The Eaton E-Lockers are an option. Has anyone here run these on this setup? I've never heard on anyone going that route before.

Last edited:

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Are E-Lockers even an option on the PR60 packages?

Edit: The Eaton E-Lockers are an option. Has anyone here run these on this setup? I've never heard on anyone going that route before.
The elockers have pluses and minuses. I had arbs in my last axles and loved them. I have elockers in my current axles and they have been great thus far in most cases. The good, you dont need the air system to accuate them. The one annoying thing about them is that every time you change direction they unlock temporarily. It is most noticeable when you don't make an obstacle and back up to try again. If you try to bump it sometimes after reversing then going back to fwd the elockers have not re-enaged and do so while climbing the obstacle. I've found torque braking it in that case seems to lock them back in faster. Having run both I'd probably do arbs if I did it again.

As for using factory switches you can easily do it just hook the wires to the elockers. The locker lights will be flashing whenever engaged as there is no feedback sensor in aftermarket lockers. It would be easy but like others have said I would use a seperate switch, I do in my rubicon. I want to be able to control the lockers however I want, not restricted by the factory rules.

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Anything special that makes the job easier when using jackstands instead of a vehicle hoist? Are there special stands/tools that work better than just floor jacks and jackstands?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Anything special that makes the job easier when using jackstands instead of a vehicle hoist? Are there special stands/tools that work better than just floor jacks and jackstands?

Jack up vehicle as high as you can and put tall jackstands under the frame. Then use floor jack and/or smaller jack stands to move around the axle as needed. A 2nd person helps.

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
Jack up vehicle as high as you can and put tall jackstands under the frame. Then use floor jack and/or smaller jack stands to move around the axle as needed. A 2nd person helps.

Yeh, I kind of figured that was the best plan. Really couldn't find any special stands or dollies that would work without a vehicle hoist.

2011jk

Get ARB's the best locker and Warranty.
I'd also step up and go to a PR80 its not much more.

1 tons IMO need 8 lugs and big brakes so upgrade to the front big brake kit you will never regret having fantastic stopping power.

Last edited:

The Cock Father

What he said ^^^

Oh, and please don't let a vendor, a business that makes their living selling you stuff, push you into buying things.

I agree. My mind is made up with the Dynatrac. And I can't figure out why they like the Ultimate 60s so much. Price is very similar, but I don't think the quality is close to comparable. They have sold and installed several sets of the Ultimates though.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. My mind is made up with the Dynatrac. And I can't figure out why they like the Ultimate 60s so much. Price is very similar, but I don't think the quality is close to comparable. They have sold and installed several sets of the Ultimates though.

Vendors will ALWAYS push what they either have in stock or make the most profit from. They are after all, in the business of SELLING stuff.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

It's prob because they can make more of a profit off of the UD60's. that's one reason why shops push some products over quality ones

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Get ARB's the best locker and Warranty.
I'd also step up and go to a PR80 its not much more.

With the package he's getting it's a PRO60 rear not their pro rock 60. It's a significant jump to get a pro rock 80 in this case.

Their Extreme axle package comes with the XD60 front and PR80 rear.

Ddays

Hooked

A couple other factors to consider as to why they push these:
1) Consider where they get their parts from. In a lot of cases its a dealership. What parts are a Jeep dealer going to push? Dana products since the relationship is already there.
2) Some, but certainly not all, shops simply don't research products like we do on forums. Frankly, some of these guys really don't give a shit. They're just replacing parts or relying on their
supplier to give them "THE BEST" products out there.

Big difference between that and an enthusiast that researches the hell out of things.

Top Bottom