Clock spring ???

72dozer

Hey guys took my jeep in for the clock spring recall horn was not working cruise was not working and airbag light is on
Get it back and airbag light is off but neither horn nor cruise works they say clock spring has nothing to do with that ?

Does this sound rite

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Randy Tadevich

Hey guys took my jeep in for the clock spring recall horn was not working cruise was not working and airbag light is on
Get it back and airbag light is off but neither horn nor cruise works they say clock spring has nothing to do with that ?

Does this sound rite

I am going through that now. My issue is the air bag light is going on and off, I have gotten used to the binging sound but my girlfriend it annoys. The warranty will not cover anything steering related. What year is yours and did they actually give you a recall?

Sent from my LGLS740 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Frydaddy

Nope, theyre bullshitting you.

The horn and cruise control are consolidated into the CAN bus system, a communications protocol to send information throughout the vehicle. This is why there is a slight delay as you press the horn, a microchip converts that to a digital message, sends it to the TIPM, decodes the message, and trips the relay that powers the horn.

If both the cruise and horn don't work, then that CAN bus is down at the steering wheel. Could be a bad circuit board, or the lines are damaged. I'm thinking there might be some corrosion on the connectors... or they gave you a crap Clock spring.

aermotor

Man, I really hate the stealerships. They are either 1) lying and lazy or 2) dumb enough and they have no clue.

Keep the pressure on them.

jeeeep

Hooked

Does this sound rite

my horn never really worked when new. when I replaced my clock spring, one of the horn wires was barely in the connector and fell out. it was an easy fix versus the cost of a new horn wiring harness. horn works great now.

also, the cruise control arm module needs to be seated correctly but it's possible it could be bad or didn't get connected properly.

They're both easy to fix or replace but you may need to remove the clock spring and for that you'll want to make sure you lock the clock spring in place or you'll end up replacing it again

2007 looks like the cruise control harness is shared with the horn harness, it's possible you have a loose wire on it. wiring harness is $240 :eek:

would be worth pulling the cover and checking the horn wiring harness - it goes around inside the column but as mentioned, you may have to remove the clock spring

Last edited:

TRLJNKY

I had mine replaced under the recall and it fixed my airbag light but cruise is still broke. Code says cruise high voltage. I was seriously hoping the recall would fix it. I could of sworn I heard the writer say sometimes they just service the clock spring or replace it if they have to. After reading my code issue everything points to the clock spring which tells me the dealership prob just waved their magic wand to make my light go out and not replace the part. Cant prove it though. The issue it went in for got fixed. Guess I cant complain lol

sent from my Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

jb0215066

Does this sound rite

My 07 jk has same issue

jb0215066

I have these same issues. When I called the dealer about the recall. They just told me that my vin wasn't under recall even though us was in the age gap. I haven't done anything about it, but as I will be coming up for inspection soon, I will need my horn to work.

May be unrelated but after a good wheeling trip it sounded like someone poured sand in between the wheel and column when I turned.
I chalked it up to just dirt as that was a very dirty wheeling trip.

Could this clockspring issue cause any other major issues that anyone knows of?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
I have these same issues. When I called the dealer about the recall. They just told me that my vin wasn't under recall even though us was in the age gap. I haven't done anything about it, but as I will be coming up for inspection soon, I will need my horn to work.

May be unrelated but after a good wheeling trip it sounded like someone poured sand in between the wheel and column when I turned.
I chalked it up to just dirt as that was a very dirty wheeling trip.

Could this clockspring issue cause any other major issues that anyone knows of?

The clockspring just allows for all the electronics in the steering wheel to talk to the rest of the car while still allowing the steering wheel to turn. It only affects the steering wheel buttons, horn and airbag.

jknikos

I just got the recall performed to my jk yesterday. Horn fixed, airbag light is off again. I have no cruise control.

Fires JK

I had mine replaced under the recall and it fixed my airbag light but cruise is still broke. Code says cruise high voltage. I was seriously hoping the recall would fix it. I could of sworn I heard the writer say sometimes they just service the clock spring or replace it if they have to. After reading my code issue everything points to the clock spring which tells me the dealership prob just waved their magic wand to make my light go out and not replace the part. Cant prove it though. The issue it went in for got fixed. Guess I cant complain lol

Go over to Rich at affordable automotive repair in reno and he will check it for you.

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug

If you have a high voltage code for the cruise control its not the clockspring something else is wrong. Given these systems generally only operate on 5v on the logic side it's probably a short from a 12v hot lead.

TRLJNKY

Go over to Rich at affordable automotive repair in reno and he will check it for you.
I might take you up on your reference if I cant figure it out. Thanks man
If you have a high voltage code for the cruise control its not the clockspring something else is wrong. Given these systems generally only operate on 5v on the logic side it's probably a short from a 12v hot lead.
Appreciate the heads up. Think it was a P0573 code if I remember correctly. Once the season turns and I have more light and heat in the garage Im going to dig into it. Its just a nuisance but manageable.

NightFox915

I just received a letter regarding this issue, says if i have the clock spring (airbag light on) to take it to the dealership and they will re-emburse the total on the work that would be done by filling out this form. Hope this helps

skylinekelley

Received the same letter today for my '12, no airbag light problems yet but my horn has never worked. Never even looked into yet but after this letter I just might check it out for an easy fix or maybe something else is coming down the line.?

Kaylinator

I just received a letter regarding this issue, says if i have the clock spring (airbag light on) to take it to the dealership and they will re-emburse the total on the work that would be done by filling out this form. Hope this helps
I just received a letter saying the warranty on my clockspring has been extended from 3 yrs/60000 kms to 25 years/unlimited mileage.

🇨🇦 eh?

Top Bottom