D44 Rear Shafts

White Russian

I would like to see some opinions on replacement rear shafts for the stock Rubicon D44. I'm on 37's and I have RCV fronts However I just bought this rig and the rear shafts look to be stock. Would you replace now and if so what would you replace them with. Stock D44 Rubys ar 32 spline I don't want to replace the carrier however I am going to 5.13 Gears in a couple weeks.

aermotor

I personally went with Ten Factory cause they are cheap insurance for the rear. Stock Rubicon config w/ 5.13s, I feel a bit better about them. I had to replace my stock ones anyway due to a bad bearing so it made sense to get chromos at least.

aermotor

I'm running 10 Factory's with 37's and 5.13's without a complaint. They also warranty bent flanges.

For real?! Wow, that makes me happy to have them!

It looks like Ten Factory and Revolution (not the Discovery's) are both made in the USA, but Rev uses 4340 for their rear shafts vs 4140. The Ten Factory's are quite a bit cheaper too it seems.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don't see anything about bent flanges on their site, but that's pretty cool if so. Never heard of them but I see they are local in SoCal.

It looks like Ten Factory and Revolution (not the Discovery's) are both made in the USA, but Rev uses 4340 for their rear shafts vs 4140. The Ten Factory's are quite a bit cheaper too it seems.

Revolution is slightly more but as you said it's a slightly bigger shaft. Also their lifetime warranty covers everything on the shaft from twisted spines to bent flanges. I called one day and was actually able to take to the owner. He said he knows people are gonna wheel hard with his shafts so that's why he covers it all. Also everything is heat treated and not cryo treated like other companies

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would like to see some opinions on replacement rear shafts for the stock Rubicon D44. I'm on 37's and I have RCV fronts However I just bought this rig and the rear shafts look to be stock. Would you replace now and if so what would you replace them with. Stock D44 Rubys ar 32 spline I don't want to replace the carrier however I am going to 5.13 Gears in a couple weeks.

If there's nothing wrong with what you've got now, I would just keep on wheeling and replace it when you need to. No point in spending money on things that you don't need.

White Russian

I don't know man I just watched a video where you snapped a shaft on golden spike in Moab. I've don't trail repairs and Prefer not to.... might be worth the insurance.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don't know man I just watched a video where you snapped a shaft on golden spike in Moab. I've don't trail repairs and Prefer not to.... might be worth the insurance.

I ran stock shafts for years with no issues. I only upgraded cause I bent a flange. You will be fine.

I ran stock shafts for years with no issues. I only upgraded cause I bent a flange. You will be fine.

Yea, but he's on 37's.

OP, i'm like you and definitely on the preventative side. If you're worried at all, and you have the budget, I'd upgrade to chromoly shafts in the rear and keep your stock ones as spares on the trail. As others mentioned, Ten and Revolution are good. I have G2 golds in my rear and have been happy with them.

aermotor

It's cheap insurance and I, like you, would rather not have to deal with a trail repair.

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

4340 is a lot stronger than 4140, which drives the price difference.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

You need to put what you saw into perspective. For one, that wasn't a stock shaft, that was in fact a ProRock 60 shaft but with a set of massive 40x15.50R20 tires mounted on Spyderloc wheels and after years of significant abuse. While the inverted ledge of Double Whammy didn't help things, the shaft was breaking well before we got there.

Now, if you're planning on running tires that big and heavy and play as hard as I do, what you'll really need is a full float ProRock 80 - NOT an aftermarket semi-float shaft for your factory axle.

Basscat

I'd tend to agree with Eddie on this one. Your stock shafts, even with the 37s, will hold up until you catch one just right slipping off a ledge under power. Then you'll likely just bend a shaft ever so slightly. You can always replace them then. Like so many have already said, the revolution shafts would be worth the extra coin when you do replace with a 32spline 4340 chromoly and keep the rubi carrier with 5.13s.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom