New Gears in but having issues with rear locker!

thechrisjones

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon and just recently had my 4:88 gears installed. Everything seems to be fine until I went to engage the rear locker. 2WD, 4H, and 4L all work fine but when I go to lock the rear axil things seem to not work as smoothly. When I put the jeep in 4L and push the locker switch once and start to move forward the rear locker light keep flashing. I push the locker switch again and the front locker engages and the front locker light becomes solid (rear locker still flashing). I drive around the parking lot to see if I can get the rear to lock and nothing happens. Without any luck with the rear locking I come to a stop, turn off the lockers and put it in 2WD. Once in 2WD and start to drive off I hear a loud pop noise from the rear of the jeep and the body of the jeep shifts noticeably. I also hear a whine noise for about 100 to 200 yards right after but then goes away and everything goes back to normal. What do you guys think this may be?? Is the rear locker trying to lock but can't for some reason? When they did the install they accidentally broke a sensor in the front and had to order a new one. If the rear sensor was damnaged too is this what one would expect to happen?

J

JKDream

I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon and just recently had my 4:88 gears installed. Everything seems to be fine until I went to engage the rear locker. 2WD, 4H, and 4L all work fine but when I go to lock the rear axil things seem to not work as smoothly. When I put the jeep in 4L and push the locker switch once and start to move forward the rear locker light keep flashing. I push the locker switch again and the front locker engages and the front locker light becomes solid (rear locker still flashing). I drive around the parking lot to see if I can get the rear to lock and nothing happens. Without any luck with the rear locking I come to a stop, turn off the lockers and put it in 2WD. Once in 2WD and start to drive off I hear a loud pop noise from the rear of the jeep and the body of the jeep shifts noticeably. I also hear a whine noise for about 100 to 200 yards right after but then goes away and everything goes back to normal. What do you guys think this may be?? Is the rear locker trying to lock but can't for some reason? When they did the install they accidentally broke a sensor in the front and had to order a new one. If the rear sensor was damnaged too is this what one would expect to happen?

Whoever installed your gears did not put the plunger sensor in correctly.
Bring it back to them and have them fix it.

DSC03950 copy.jpg

This is what it should look like. A lot of shops will put the plunger pressing against the magnet ring - which causes the issue you are having.

jkrichard

I believe with the e locker there is a small plunger or piece that usually does not get put back properly. Its something that is sometimes overlooked.

Someone else with a factory locker will have more info. I know there are pictures out there of the piece I'm talking about.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

View attachment 246316

This is what it should look like. A lot of shops will put the plunger pressing against the magnet ring - which causes the issue you are having.

:thumb:

2017-03-01 07_53_29-factual definition - Google Search.jpg

KYRubi

View attachment 246316

^This. When they regeared mine, it was the first Rubicon with electric lockers they had ever done, even though they had worked on a ton of differentials. On mine, both lockers were stuck locked. They immediately realized what was wrong when they tried to pull it out of the bay to test drive it. They took them back apart and did the plungers properly. Haven't had any issues with them since.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

View attachment 246316

LOL!! And here I was looking for that very pic to post up :crazyeyes:

Wert7676

I just regeared my jk with factory lockers. I did a ton of research prior to starting. For both front and rear you need to remove the carrier first then the sensor. The rear I did without removing the sensor. My guess is they put the sensor in after install and bent it. They might have bent the plate that the sensor rides on or even damaged the magnet that engages the locker. My guess is they put the sensor in after the install and damaged it. On the rear I don't think the magnet got damaged. If you are a diy guy pull the cover and look at it you can see and press the sensor in. With a dvm set on ohms you can test the sensor.

Top Bottom