Long arms on 2.5" of lift?

outkast7222

FB_IMG_1488770307052.jpeg

So I have this stuff laying around, albeit a few more scratches and and some grinding marks from removal from the XJ. The arms are perfect length to be mounted on the JK at the crossmember.

Any reason not to do it?

Anyone know of a decent frame side upper mount?

Sent from my XT1254 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The whole point of a long arm kit is to help correct suspension geometry after installing a tall lift. 2.5" of lift is a budget boost.

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

outkast7222

The whole point of a long arm kit is to help correct suspension geometry after installing a tall lift. 2.5" of lift is a budget boost.

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs
I well understand that, especially with the JK longish stock arms. I was thinking the benefit would be more on correcting roll center and anti dive properties especially since it's a 2 door.

At what point do you feel long arms are a real benefit on a JK?

I guess maybe I should have been more specific with my original wording, does anyone one see harm in longarms at 2.5"?

aWIGHTguy

Banned
Long arms on 2.5" of lift?

WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

I thought a budget boost was just doing spacers on top of the springs (or I guess a body lift too) and maybe new springs.

You can spend over $1k on 2.5" lifts, which I don't think many would consider a budget/cheap, lift. I know there's a WAYALIFE fan favorite off-road company that will sell you a 2.5" Long Arm lift for about $3k. Now would I recommend someone empties the jeep piggy bank on 2.5" lift that costs that much....well no lol[emoji28]

To answer the OPs question. Yes, you can run long arms on a 2.5" lift. Is it necessary? Nope, but it's your Jeep...and it won't hurt anything barring a mistake with your install.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
:cheesy: Hey hey hey....what's with all this newfangled shit called math?!?

Super easy, you just connect one from crossmember to the pumpkin mount and then one from the crossmember to the rear pinion yoke. The 3rd one you put on the girlfriend's seat. Don't need 5 other arms.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought a budget boost was just doing spacers on top of the springs (or I guess a body lift too) and maybe new springs.

You can spend over $1k on 2.5" lifts, which I don't think many would consider a budget/cheap, lift. I know there's a WAYALIFE fan favorite off-road company that will sell you a 2.5" Long Arm lift for about $3k. Now would I recommend someone empties the jeep piggy bank on 2.5" lift that costs that much....well no lol[emoji28]

Since you seemed to have missed it, I was being facetious. :rolleyes2:

outkast7222 said:
I well understand that, especially with the JK longish stock arms. I was thinking the benefit would be more on correcting roll center and anti dive properties especially since it's a 2 door.

At what point do you feel long arms are a real benefit on a JK?

At about 4" of lift or more. At this height, your suspension geometry would be off enough that you would benefit from the correction in angle they'd offer both on pavement and when bombing across the desert. Of course, as mentioned, you'd want a few more control arms to complete your kit and ones that were a bit longer than what you seem to have.

Amrth

Super easy, you just connect one from crossmember to the pumpkin mount and then one from the crossmember to the rear pinion yoke. The 3rd one you put on the girlfriend's seat. Don't need 5 other arms.

:cheesy: Made my monday!

outkast7222

Since you seemed to have missed it, I was being facetious. :rolleyes2:

At about 4" of lift or more. At this height, your suspension geometry would be off enough that you would benefit from the correction in angle they'd offer both on pavement and when bombing across the desert. Of course, as mentioned, you'd want a few more control arms to complete your kit and ones that were a bit longer than what you seem to have.
I'm guessing there is some optic illusion with that pic somehow. The lower links are 37.5" in the middle of thier adjustment range. The upper is 38.5". Stringing a tape to the crossmember it appears I would have to either run them adjusted almost all the way in or set the mounts a little farther back into the crossmember than most would.

That said it appears there isn't much point so I'll likely just get everything prepped up for the eventual jump up another inch when I swap up to the 37's in a year or two.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'm guessing there is some optic illusion with that pic somehow. The lower links are 37.5" in the middle of thier adjustment range. The upper is 38.5". Stringing a tape to the crossmember it appears I would have to either run them adjusted almost all the way in or set the mounts a little farther back into the crossmember than most would.

That said it appears there isn't much point so I'll likely just get everything prepped up for the eventual jump up another inch when I swap up to the 37's in a year or two.

LOL!! Guess it's hard to tell from the pic :crazyeyes:

Wert7676

I got the aev 2.5 inches lift on my jk. I got the geometry correction brackets too. The only thing limiting flex is the stocks it came with. The stock arms can take more.i get 8 inches travel at the bump stops. On a minor lift like a 2.5 I wouldn't bother. At 5 inches of lift is where u need to do a long arm

Top Bottom