Jk high steer

Robs_Red_JK

Hey guys I need some input on if it'd be worth it to switch to a high steer or not. I am wondering if it is a more heavy duty steering set up than stock? I need to replace pretty much all of my steering soon anyhow and since I put the 35s on it the steering has been sloppy and it tends to wander on the freeway so I am hoping that doing high steer instead might tighten it back up and make it last better with normal wear and tear? Or would it just be better to replace the stock parts?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you're lifted, did you install adjustable front lower control arms so that you could dial in your caster? If not, you have too little positive caster and that's why you're feeling what you are. New steering knuckles will NOT fix this problem.

For the cost of new knuckles, you could easily buy a new HD tie-rod, something you'll hit with or without a high steer setup and a more worthy purchase.

Robs_Red_JK

Assuming you're lifted, did you install adjustable front lower control arms so that you could dial in your caster? If not, you have too little positive caster and that's why you're feeling what you are. New steering knuckles will NOT fix this problem.

For the cost of new knuckles, you could easily buy a new HD tie-rod, something you'll hit with or without a high steer setup and a more worthy purchase.

Ok that's good to know then. My front uppers are adjustable but the lowers are not. I will look into those then and a HD tie rod set up then. I don't really need high steer for what I do with the jeep I just thought it might be stronger. But I didn't want to buy it al and have it not fix the issue. Thank you so much for the info!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ok that's good to know then. My front uppers are adjustable but the lowers are not. I will look into those then and a HD tie rod set up then. I don't really need high steer for what I do with the jeep I just thought it might be stronger. But I didn't want to buy it al and have it not fix the issue. Thank you so much for the info!

If the uppers are adjustable, you should be able to set your caster with them. Try to dial it back to +4°.

WJCO

Meme King
That is an awesome write up! Thank you so much! I will give this a try hopefully on my next weekend. Would it be worth it to put adjustable lowers on also or not bother with them?

If you can shorten your uppers enough to get the caster set right, don't mess with the lowers.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That is an awesome write up! Thank you so much! I will give this a try hopefully on my next weekend. Would it be worth it to put adjustable lowers on also or not bother with them?

I would try and see if you can get your caster dialed as is. No need to spend money on something you don't need. If you find that you can't shorten your uppers enough to get you to where you need to be OR that in doing so, your springs are bowing to the point where they're rubbing the sway bar arm or bump stop cup, then you might want to consider new lowers but I would take things one step at a time.

Robs_Red_JK

I would try and see if you can get your caster dialed as is. No need to spend money on something you don't need. If you find that you can't shorten your uppers enough to get you to where you need to be OR that in doing so, your springs are bowing to the point where they're rubbing the sway bar arm or bump stop cup, then you might want to consider new lowers but I would take things one step at a time.

Ok that sounds good then. I will give that a try then how it is and go from there. Thanks again for all this help. It has helped me a ton especially to keep me from buying stuff that would not have done anything at all for me.

Top Bottom