Dynatrac 44 or OEM Dana 44?

Worst Driver

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament and I hope you guys can give me some insight and steer me in the correct direction. I was involved in an accident a couple months ago, and I received a payout for a new rear axle. The total amount is $2600.

The first thing that came to mind was Dynatrac! But then came the question of figment, what else would be needed, could I reuse knuckles, can I swing simply a DT housing with new shafts and reuse the rest?

I don't have a lift yet, I was still saving up to go with the Evo Enforcer. I did some reading and saw DT axles don't mesh up well with non-lifted jeeps without cutting/modifying.

I hope you can help out. Any advise if greatly appreciated [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone

J

JKDream

Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament and I hope you guys can give me some insight and steer me in the correct direction. I was involved in an accident a couple months ago, and I received a payout for a new rear axle. The total amount is $2600.

The first thing that came to mind was Dynatrac! But then came the question of figment, what else would be needed, could I reuse knuckles, can I swing simply a DT housing with new shafts and reuse the rest?

I don't have a lift yet, I was still saving up to go with the Evo Enforcer. I did some reading and saw DT axles don't mesh up well with non-lifted jeeps without cutting/modifying.

I hope you can help out. Any advise if greatly appreciated [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone
Dynatrac makes a housing that is a direct replacement of the OEM housing. It reuses your shafts, gears, locker, knuckles etc. The only expense is the housing itself. I would highly recommend going this route. It is quite cost effective, and a hell of a lot stronger.

Just to clarify though - are you replacing a rear or front housing? You mentioned a payout for the rear, but the rear doesn't have knuckles.

As for cutting etc on a non lifted Jeep, you're probably thinking of a ProRock 60. Since the diff is larger you do normally need a lift or additional bump stop to clear the pumpkin. You do not need these on a ProRock 44 as the pumpkin is the same height up top.

Last edited by a moderator:

Worst Driver

My apologies, its going to be the rear I'm replacing along with the shafts since they're bent.

Thank you for clarifying the knuckle situation. It seems overall it's going to be the best way to go and I could later on continue building upon it.

Sent from my iPhone

jorgelrod

Hooked
Two options on the rear, new Mopar OEM 44 or a trail 60 from Dynatrac, any of these will let you keep your 5 on 5 bolt wheels. You might need to do the lift for the trail 60....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Worst Driver

Yea I still have stock gears. I wanted to wait to regear once I have everything situated, lifted and ready to slap on the 35's that I have.

I was checking out the prices for the trail 60 and the price is almost double. The Currie 60 is a little more appealing just because of the price tag, but I'm going to need to research of what internals (minus the axle shafts) are reusable

Sent from my iPhone

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Yea I still have stock gears. I wanted to wait to regear once I have everything situated, lifted and ready to slap on the 35's that I have.

I was checking out the prices for the trail 60 and the price is almost double. The Currie 60 is a little more appealing just because of the price tag, but I'm going to need to research of what internals (minus the axle shafts) are reusable

Sent from my iPhone

None of the internals in a d44 will work in a d60

Journeyman

I'd look for some d44 take offs. They pop up all the time here and I'm sure craigslist somewhere. There's a bunch floating around or about to be. I know there's a few of us waiting on dynatrac 60's to be shipped, Including myself.

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug

Sent from my iPhone

Do agree on the price point. I want a d60 pro rock. Wish they still made the pr44 rear.

I think my best bet would just be spring for an OEM 44 and upgraded axle shafts.
Probably would be your best bet. Could almost build a new rear axle with the 2600. Arb and 35 spline shafts plus install would be around 2k and try and find a stock housing if yours is not reusable.

Sent from my iPhone

Jkbroc

Sorry, might be a dumb question. Can I run 40's on a PR44 front and PR60 rear???

Dynatrac recommends the PR44 up to a 37" tire. I've seen guys run 40's on them and not have issues but the 44 ball joints and hubs will wear quicker then running a smaller tire. I'm sure there might even be a story or to about R&P failures.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Top Bottom