Bump stop options

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
So I dropped off a ledge today that turned out to be bigger than I thought and blew out the left front foam bumpstop.

Other than a new stock replacement what are my options? I don't have the cash for hydro right now. I see rugged ridge do a urethane bump stop. Is it any good? And does it fully compress?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'd have to agree with the factory option. Other bump stops are typically urethane based and a LOT harder. The factory jounce stops are soft and designed to squash and absorb better.

chitown35

LOSER
I'd have to agree with the factory option. Other bump stops are typically urethane based and a LOT harder. The factory jounce stops are soft and designed to squash and absorb better.
Those stock ones can almost compress by hand, let alone with a 4-6k lb vehicle dropping on them from any height. Wouldn't something firmer be exactly what the OP is looking for to protect the Jeep a little better from harsh drops?

2nd.gunman

Caught the Bug
Those stock ones can almost compress by hand, let alone with a 4-6k lb vehicle dropping on them from any height. Wouldn't something firmer be exactly what the OP is looking for to protect the Jeep a little better from harsh drops?

They're only there to cushion the last little bit of travel before full compression of the suspension. The stock ones are quite soft but change in thickness to increase resistance as they compress.

I'd be happy with a slightly firmer bumpstop as long as it still fully compressed otherwise it would lose some up travel. Having said that, the stock ones worked fine and absorbed the hit quite well. it was only that half the bumpstop was rattling around the bottom of the spring when I stopped for a photo that I even knew it was broken

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom