Smoke from tranny.....

Carramrod

So I start my 2014 rubicon and I have the 2 rubber grommets removed from the tranny and when I start it, smoke comes from the 2 holes...what could it be..

Last edited:

Carramrod

It couldn't be oil that was leaking leftcausing it to smoke???...everything sounds good...and it goes through all the motion when I shift it

Frydaddy

there are two grommets on the bell housing, is that what you mean? If it starts smoking immediately from a cold start, that could be an engine thing.

Edit: I'm going to throw out a wild guess, let me know where i screwed up.

If it starts smoking right from a cold start, the tranny (and engine) aren't warm enough to heat up the oil yet. combustion.
If its coming from the bell housing, the rear main must be leaking. should be oil, not smoke.
If the rear main is smoking, the crank case must be pressurized. no good.
If combustion smoke is coming through, the piston rings must be blown. really not good.
Wild guess, also if the rear main is smoking, I thought it was in an oil bath, how low is your oil level?!

Last edited:

Carramrod

there are two grommets on the bell housing, is that what you mean? If it starts smoking immediately from a cold start, that could be an engine thing.

Edit: I'm going to throw out a wild guess, let me know where i screwed up.

If it starts smoking right from a cold start, the tranny (and engine) aren't warm enough to heat up the oil yet. combustion.
If its coming from the bell housing, the rear main must be leaking. should be oil, not smoke.
If the rear main is smoking, the crank case must be pressurized. no good.
If combustion smoke is coming through, the piston rings must be blown. really not good.
Wild guess, also if the rear main is smoking, I thought it was in an oil bath, how low is your oil level?!
I see what your saying, it was driving fine the other day until I noticed this leak. I'm almost certain it's oil, I dnt keep it on long enouhh for it to really heat up. It looks like a fine mist that eventuslly evaporate the further it gets away from the holes...it comes clear out the tail pipe. It's in the shop now getting the rear main seal done...if it continues after this then I'll do a compression test next. It's a 14 so I'm hoping the piston rings are done...

Sent from my SM-G930P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom