5.13 vs. 5.38 Gearing

jelliott076

Now that I am running the 37's and am soon to be running some fairly heavy bead locks I'm wondering when and if I need to change my gearing from 5.13 to 5.38. Forgive the ignorance but I have no idea how the whole gearing system is thrown together and am trying to give myself a crash course education so I can make the right decision on when I need to upgrade.

Moochie

5:38's are more prone to breaking. I have 5:13's in my Dana 44's and they work great with my 37's and bead locks.

Last edited:

jelliott076

Perfect. Thanks much, I'm going to hang onto this for sure.

5:38's are more prone to breaking. I have 5:13's in my Dana 44's and they work great with my 37's and bead locks.

Thanks brother! I feel a little more confident knowing your big a** rig is running the same as mine. Did you ever fix the smoke?

I wouldn't worry about it. Its a small difference and I don't think the price is justifiable.

..and as everyone has said the .38's sound prone to breaking, so I'm good.

Thanks All!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
WHAT! Are you really up to that much!? Anything we can do to help?

Nah he knows what he is doing. Have met up with him many a time while burning and he just checks it and adds as need. I'm sure the hammers is better for him this year then the rest of us because his jeep can go to the doctors soon after.

And he can drive snorkels at hammers if he needs to. :yup:

Tattedfire

5:13 to 5:38 is only a 5% difference. Not significant enough to offset the price of new gears. Plus the 5:38 in a D44 will leave your ring and pinion as your weak link because of the extremely small pinion size.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, 5.38's in a Dana 44 = a bad idea. Trust me, I speak from experience here.

MTG

Caught the Bug
The Sierra Club is abandoning their bid against the coal plants and are targeting Moochie's rig for a shut down instead.

Top Bottom