Another JK in the UK

windowlicker

My JK in the snow cropped.jpg

A long standing XJ owning lurker, I finally have a JK to show off. It’s a low mileage 2009 JKU Sport, with the CRD turbo-diesel and 6 speed stick. I’ve only had it a couple of weeks, but I’m tickled to bits with it.

I would have liked a Rubicon, but they are only available as a 2 door in the UK, and only with the petrol (gas) engine, not viable as a daily driver at $10 a gallon.

The CRD is awesome – at low rpm it has more torque than a Hemi (339 lb ft at 1500rpm), and the turbo gives plenty of passing power on the freeway. The best part is I am getting about 35 mpg on a run (that's imperial gallons, so about 28 miles to a US gallon).

The curious thing is that I test drove this actual vehicle in May 2009, when it was new, and didn’t realise it was the same Jeep until after I had bought it. The damn thing found its way back to me!

I’ve already fitted Rubicon wheels and tyres, Sahara side steps, and a Kenwood GPS/MultiMedia doohickey, all sourced via eBay. Yes, I know the OEM side steps will snap in two if I encounter anything larger than a sleeping policeman, but getting in an out with dignity is my priority.

I plan to ditch the dorky Euro style bumpers (that rear license plate is just begging to get ripped off!) for some AEV or Rugged Ridge units when funds allow. Then maybe a Teraflex levelling kit and some AEV Pintlers with 285/70R17s. And, of course, I have JK decals to go on (thanks Eddie!).

But for now, I’m just enjoying the heck out of my new toy. I got it just in time for the “blizzards” that, as usual, have paralysed the UK.

windowlicker

Thanks for the warm welcome chaps :thumb:

I'll be in Colorado in a couple of weeks, so I'm making a shopping list. Hmm... I wonder if I could get some rock rails in a ski bag...

MTG

Caught the Bug
Welcome! :standing wave:

Rock rails in the ski bag. :cheesy:

I had the same idea...if my wheels are ready for pick up when I'm there, they are going to be my checked luggage. :thumb:

Top Bottom