2 door jk Rubicon front drive shaft issue?

moparnation

OK, I was changing the oil today and rolling around inspecting as usual and I notice my front drive shaft has some grease coming out of the edge of the boot. The boot is not ripped or torn and it appears that the grease is coming from under the clamp. Should I be concerned about this?

I've read about people having to replace the front drive shaft because of boot failure but to my knowledge it was because the boot ripped and mine seems to be intact.

I only have a 2.5" lift and that's supposed to be OK for the front shaft so I hear. This is the first time its happened and I've put maybe 30,000 on this lift.

Heres a few pics, let me get some input from you guys

sent from my talkitty box

Attachments

• 1360017153745.jpg
    1360017153745.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 1360017180696.jpg
    1360017180696.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 142
  • 1360017201813.jpg
    1360017201813.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 141

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
You can run like that for a little while but, once it starts to make a ratcheting sound, you're done.

I would start looking around for a new shaft. I personally would recommend that you get a JE Reel as they use made in the USA Neapco u-joints standard. Other popular brands use cheap Chinese U-joints with fancy names unless you specifically request to upgrade to Spicer or Neapco u-joints.

moparnation

awesome....... :grayno:

it couldnt have come at a better time either *sarcasm*....trying to get ready for a 7000 mile trip in august has my funds already depleted and has left me poor trying to get some other things on the jeep ready to go :/

anybody have one they want to let me buy for cheap?

hey eddie, do you think another factory one would work for a while? i found one of those for $50. or should i just bite the bullet and start selling things off to fund my new shaft....

also, are the rubicon express ones any good? they are on the cheaper side around $350

moparnation

also, is it common place for the rear driveshaft on the 2 doors to have problems too or should it be fine until i can get a new one?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
awesome....... :grayno:

it couldnt have come at a better time either *sarcasm*....trying to get ready for a 7000 mile trip in august has my funds already depleted and has left me poor trying to get some other things on the jeep ready to go :/

anybody have one they want to let me buy for cheap?

hey eddie, do you think another factory one would work for a while? i found one of those for $50. or should i just bite the bullet and start selling things off to fund my new shaft....

also, are the rubicon express ones any good? they are on the cheaper side around $350

No reason you couldn't run another factory one but you'd be better served running an aftermarket shaft. The RE shafts used to be made by a company out in CA called Powertrain and they were good shafts. However, RE is now owned by 4WheelParts and I'm pretty sure they have changed their suppliers so I can't say for sure if they're still any good. When it comes to something like drive shafts, I personally don't like to skimp.

Another option you might want to consider is to just pull your front shaft and just reinstall it when you go wheeling. You won't need it for your long drive.

jeep-creep

Good info, Eddie...I have a spicer on the rear and looking to upgrade my front( as its a stock replacement as of now)
Searching for a used, aftermarket one may yield some good find, and keep price down. Good luck!

jeffj

Caught the Bug
moparnation said:
I was wondering that too

sent from my talkitty box

I'm not sure it make a difference but my reel has grease fittings. My friends coast didn't have any. Like I said I'm not sure it makes a difference but I'm glad mine have them.

Top Bottom