High Steer Knuckle Insert Question

J

JKDream

Hi All

Installed high steer over the weekend, awesome improvements so far.
Quick question regarding the insert tapered sleeve.
My new draglink has really awful TRE boots. I want to replace these but I'm wondering if I pop the taper out of the knuckle, will the insert still be usable?
I'm a bit worried I'm going to press out the taper, and the sleeve will be stuck onto the TRE.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Try ringing out the TRE by striking the end of your knuckle with a 3 lb. hammer. Give it a couple of good blows and it should come free.

Here's a shot of me ringing out the tie-rod but you can use the same technique for the drag link.
main.php

WJCO

Meme King
Which knuckles did you go with? If you went with Reid or Rancho, I believe the tapered hole is machined into the knuckle. If you drilled your OEM knuckles and added a flip insert, I believe that insert should drop in and out fairly easily with no play. Regardless of either, if you're replacing the boot anyways, use a pickle fork and it should pop the stud out and leave the insert in the knuckle.

J

JKDream

Which knuckles did you go with? If you went with Reid or Rancho, I believe the tapered hole is machined into the knuckle. If you drilled your OEM knuckles and added a flip insert, I believe that insert should drop in and out fairly easily with no play. Regardless of either, if you're replacing the boot anyways, use a pickle fork and it should pop the stud out and leave the insert in the knuckle.

I just drilled my factory knuckles.
The hole size seemed to be perfect, everything sized up without any additional drilling.
I used one of the synergy inserts with the slit in it that expands.
Thinking if I pop the draglink out (I have a puller) the sleeve might come out with it jammed to the TRE end due to the expansion in the knuckle.
Probably overthinking it though.

WJCO

Meme King
I just drilled my factory knuckles.
The hole size seemed to be perfect, everything sized up without any additional drilling.
I used one of the synergy inserts with the slit in it that expands.
Thinking if I pop the draglink out (I have a puller) the sleeve might come out with it jammed to the TRE end due to the expansion in the knuckle.
Probably overthinking it though.

I think you'll be ok. You could always use the pickle fork and then hit the side of the knuckle like Eddie showed. The pickle for should have enough surface area to cover the insert and keep it from popping out with the stud.

Last edited:
J

JKDream

I think you'll be ok. You could always use the pickle fork and then hit the side of it like Eddie showed. The pickle for should have enough surface area to cover the insert and keep it from popping out with the stud.

That's a good idea, I have one sitting around in the back as well.
Thanks man.

Top Bottom