Loop Road - Big Cypress Preserve

RonG

I had been told to check out Loop Road in Big Cypress Preserve about an hour west of downtown Miami. Tamiami Trail was a road built in the 1920's connecting Miami to Florida's west coast. The Loop Road was an alternative route that was not used. It remains today as about a 24 mile long road through the preserve of which two thirds is unpaved. I was told that it was roughly maintained and, after heavy rain, was partially flooded. It had rained the last several days, including a couple of heavy thunderstorms. I figured it was the perfect opportunity to check it out.

We headed west from Miami along Tamiami Trail.

IMG_6140 - Small.jpg

We entered from the western end of the road (4 miles west of the Oasis Ranger Station). As a route for a Jeep adventure, the road was a disappointment. It was all packed gravel and dry. The park ranger told me that they had had none of the rain the hit the rest of South Florida. True off road trails were only available to hunters.

IMG_6145 - small.jpg

The preserve itself is a combination of dense, flooded forest and drier areas.

IMG_6150 - Small.jpg

IMG_6169 -Small.jpg

IMG_6162 - Small.jpg

We did however, have the opportunity to socialize with some of the locals.

IMG_6199 -Small.jpg

IMG_6164 -Small.jpg

IMG_6175 -Small.jpg

IMG_6217 -Small.jpg

Some were more stand-offish.

IMG_6191 -Small.jpg

IMG_6246 -Small.jpg

And some were downright nasty.

IMG_6206 -Small.jpg

All-in-all, while not the adventure I had planned, we did get to see the Everglades in a way we had not seen it before. I’d go back again (especially if I was sure it had rained).

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not every Jeep adventure requires you to be in 4WD. Looks like you had a great time - thanks for sharing the fun you had [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom