Squeaking sound coming from my rear

zombie hunter

Supp guys. I have a 2013 jku sahara and just did a axel swop about 3 wks ago. Put in rubicon axels that only did 6000s ks and never went offroad. I think i had the squeaking sound when i had my sahara axels when going over bumps in the road but the new axels does the same thing but now it squeaks when i feather the brakes but when i press down hard on them the sound goes away. Only done a very chilled grade 3 trail on topless day but other than that ive been driving on the road. Sounds like its coming from the right rear. I have a RHD. You think i could have a bent axel flange/ bent axel ??? Or just dust on the calipers or something wedged in there? I did wheel balancing a wk ago nd dnt think i had that problem with the brakes before then.

Sent from my SM-G920F using WAYALIFE mobile app

BaddestCross

First of all, my wife hates it when there's a squeaking sound coming from my rear. I usually blame it on the dog, but she never buys it. 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist with that title. 😎

Seriously though, I'd check my brakes first. Could be something stuck in the dust shield, pads getting low and the sensor letting you know, or something else in there complaining. Tear them down, inspect the pads and rotors, clean everything up, put it back together and see if the noise goes away.

I was having a similar problem awhile back and decided to replace all the pads and rotors simply because I hadn't done it since I bought the Jeep and wanted to start fresh. Easy job and inexpensive.

zombie hunter

First of all, my wife hates it when there's a squeaking sound coming from my rear. I usually blame it on the dog, but she never buys it. 😂

Sorry, couldn't resist with that title. 😎

Seriously though, I'd check my brakes first. Could be something stuck in the dust shield, pads getting low and the sensor letting you know, or something else in there complaining. Tear them down, inspect the pads and rotors, clean everything up, put it back together and see if the noise goes away.

I was having a similar problem awhile back and decided to replace all the pads and rotors simply because I hadn't done it since I bought the Jeep and wanted to start fresh. Easy job and inexpensive.
😂😂😂😂 good 1!!! Ya not the best title haha

Will have a look friday when im off, i was reading other threads and every1 seems to say bent flange/axel which freaked me out because these axels are new. I did drive in alot of mud topless day so ya might be something wedged in that i missed when i washed her.
Shot 🤘

I think most times speaking sounds are break related. On my 08 I did this almost twice a year. The pads have mounting tabs that slide into little metal clips within the calipers. This interface point I would add a little bit of caliper lube to allow them to slide. Over time these little clips (that snap into the caliper) would wear or collect grime. Either clean them or replace them....good to go. Mopar sells them 8 in a bag, you need 4 per wheel.

While you are there remove caliper guide pins clean old lube off, put new lubrication on, and ensure guide boots are not torn.

Best of luck

Sent from my SM-T560NU using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Leave it in 2wd, jack up rear axle and run the vehicle on jack stands. If axle flange is bent, tire/wheel will wobble.

madstiles

Did you lube contact points on calipers and pads?
Also lay underneath and have someone jump up and down in the back to see if it's suspension related.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

benatc1

Hooked
Had what seems like the same issue, kept lubing pads every 1k miles or so and it never went away unless I depressed the pedal hard. Ended up being a bent flange, hard to believe though on axles that apparently have never been off road but maybe mall crawling got the best of them.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

fiend

Caught the Bug
Supp guys. I have a 2013 jku sahara and just did a axel swop about 3 wks ago. Put in rubicon axels that only did 6000s ks and never went offroad. I think i had the squeaking sound when i had my sahara axels when going over bumps in the road but the new axels does the same thing but now it squeaks when i feather the brakes but when i press down hard on them the sound goes away. Only done a very chilled grade 3 trail on topless day but other than that ive been driving on the road. Sounds like its coming from the right rear. I have a RHD. You think i could have a bent axel flange/ bent axel ??? Or just dust on the calipers or something wedged in there? I did wheel balancing a wk ago nd dnt think i had that problem with the brakes before then.

If the squeaking comes when going over bumps, then maybe it's something in the suspension, not the brakes. Have someone stand on the bumper and jump up and down while the Jeep is not rolling and see if you can isolate it. Could be a shock or sway bar bushing.

zombie hunter

Had what seems like the same issue, kept lubing pads every 1k miles or so and it never went away unless I depressed the pedal hard. Ended up being a bent flange, hard to believe though on axles that apparently have never been off road but maybe mall crawling got the best of them.

That sucks and i fear it might be the same thing .. just swopped the axels and did 1 trail. Hope its not that but if it is how much did the fix set you back?

benatc1

Hooked
That sucks and i fear it might be the same thing .. just swopped the axels and did 1 trail. Hope its not that but if it is how much did the fix set you back?

For me, I bought revolution axle shafts for like 560 or whatever they cost. I'm not aware of anyway to fix a bent flange but there may be one. IF they are bent you can find a set of rear shafts that works for you or maybe get lucky and find a used set for cheap but you then risk them being bent as well. Bent flanges are just part of owning semi-float axles unfortunately

jeeeep

Hooked
If you find it's a rear bent flange I'd recommend going with the Nitro gear chromoly, they come with the bearings already pressed on. All others I believe you have to have it done. around here it costs about 150 per axle to get the bearings pressed on unless you have a press and can do it yourself.

benatc1

Hooked
If you find it's a rear bent flange I'd recommend going with the Nitro gear chromoly, they come with the bearings already pressed on. All others I believe you have to have it done. around here it costs about 150 per axle to get the bearings pressed on unless you have a press and can do it yourself.

Revolution come pressed on as well but more pricy than the Nitros

Edit: plus Revolution warranties a bent flange- not sure about other companies- one of the main reasons I chose the Revo

Last edited:
Top Bottom