Coilover hitting timing ring

Bumpdat

My front EVO coilover coils are smacking the timing rings...normal? The coils are straight as an arrow, no bowing or anything like that. Installed AGM sliders, no difference in coils hitting the rings....thoughts?

Benito

Caught the Bug
I don't have or know much about coilovers but I thought the sliders were supposed to hit the timing rings at a certain point to transition to the secondary spring rate, maybe your timing rings are set too low so they are hitting more than necessary? Someone with more knowledge will probably chime in soon

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I don't have or know much about coilovers but I thought the sliders were supposed to hit the timing rings at a certain point to transition to the secondary spring rate, maybe your timing rings are set too low so they are hitting more than necessary? Someone with more knowledge will probably chime in soon

This. The slider is suppose to hit the timing ring. The lower you set them the sooner they will hit. I have mine low for more daily driving use. It helps soften the rode a little.

Basscat

My front EVO coilover coils are smacking the timing rings...normal? The coils are straight as an arrow, no bowing or anything like that. Installed AGM sliders, no difference in coils hitting the rings....thoughts?

So is the slider hitting the timing ring?
Or
Is the coil knocking on the timing ring?
Or
Is the slider getting stuck and popping during the stroke?

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Bumpdat

Front slider is set about 3/4 inch lower than the timing ring. The actual coil is knocking on the ring and wearing it down a little. Coils are set to where the ends of the top and bottom coil are opposite of each other.

Basscat

Front slider is set about 3/4 inch lower than the timing ring. The actual coil is knocking on the ring and wearing it down a little. Coils are set to where the ends of the top and bottom coil are opposite of each other.

Rotate top or bottom coil so that spring ends aren't in the exact same place above / below one another. That should fix it.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you play hard enough, the coils will always rotate a bit and making contact with the timing rings and causing them to wear down a bit is totally normal. You can help prevent this by making adjustments to the coils periodically.

Bumpdat

If you play hard enough, the coils will always rotate a bit and making contact with the timing rings and causing them to wear down a bit is totally normal. You can help prevent this by making adjustments to the coils periodically.

Gotcha...it started after the coils settled a little after install...maybe a little more preload will help a bit...Ill just play with it, thanks for the responses.

Top Bottom