Engine bay cleaning

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
Today I went to a fairly dusty area. The entire jeep was completely covered in thick dust, including the engine bay. I was just curious how everyone cleans their engine bay? Don't think spraying it down with a hose is a good idea.... any thoughts? It doesn't need to be squeaky clean, just want to get a general cleanup out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

J

JKDream

Wouldn't it mess with electrical stuff? Tried that back in the day on my first vehicle and it made a lot of weird crap happen.

Just don't use high pressure water. A garden hose is fine. Obviously don't spray directly into the intake, alternator, etc. I'd suggest using a diluted simple green. Helps loosen everything up so you don't have to wash for as long.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
I know there is some kind of degreaser for engine bay cleaning in a can. I saw it in auto stores. You spray it on, leave it there for a min and hose if off with just a low pressure garden hose.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
I know there is some kind of degreaser for engine bay cleaning in a can. I saw it in auto stores. You spray it on, leave it there for a min and hose if off with just a low pressure garden hose.

Ditto to that. I work at an auto parts store and gunk makes some really good foamy degreaser that's safe for the plastic and electrical in the bay.

Sent from my Life One X2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I just use the car wash pre-clean green stuff most have as a selection then rinse it - never with high pressure and on some the low pressure is still pretty high so I stand back and make sure to also hit it from the sides and the underside up.

I also wash the underside of the hood. don't soak the electrical and watch the air intake

I've yet to wash my JK's engine bay, but have kept many other vehicle's engine bays clean over the years. It used to be a labor of love for me, but I like to see my JK dirty. :rock:

I've found using cheap car wash soap (in a refillable spray bottle) sprayed on a cool wet engine bay works great for keeping things clean on a regular basis. I like the foaming Gunk engine cleaner for areas that are wet with grease or oil. I also hand wash much of the plastic covers and painted areas that can be reached, if it's been a while between cleanings. I've used Simple Green to clean very dirty areas, but find that it leaves the plastic and rubber looking dull with a white haze. Maybe I didn't have it diluted enough.

Like others have said, avoid high pressure water and spraying directly on certain parts that are susceptible to water.

Another thing I'd add, I start the engine and let it run for a few minutes after I spray the engine bay. I have found that letting the engine run and warm up dries things like the alternator and prevents unwanted corrosion. I've replaced a few alternators in the past that seemed to fail prematurely that I contribute to getting them wet during detailing, and then letting the vehicle sit, sometimes overnight. I've not replaced one since doing the start-up after washing. *Knock on wood*

madstiles

I pressure wash it and also cover the gauges and radio and pressure wash the interior! First time I was scared like a virgin now years later I don't think twice lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

jagrubb99

I pressure wash it and also cover the gauges and radio and pressure wash the interior! First time I was scared like a virgin now years later I don't think twice lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app
I would be extremely careful pressure washing the engine bay. That much pressure can easily drive out grease, cut hoses and insulation.

Top Bottom