Need help : clicking on left turn.

bahamaguy

Hi Guys,

Amongst the other 482.5 issues with my 'new' 2010 JKU, I have a significantly loud clicking coming from (I think) the front left side when turning even a hair left.

The clicking increases/decreases with speed.

No clicks when straight or right, and tracking fine (straight line with hands off wheel)

Any ideas where I should start in my search to track it down - hard to know where to begin when it can't be heard if I'm under the jeep (not brave/stupid enough to hang under it while someone drives around in left hand circles!)

Be gentle - I'm new - but at least I'm not looking for discount codes!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zimm

Caught the Bug
Hi Guys,

Amongst the other 482.5 issues with my 'new' 2010 JKU, I have a significantly loud clicking coming from (I think) the front left side when turning even a hair left.

The clicking increases/decreases with speed.

No clicks when straight or right, and tracking fine (straight line with hands off wheel)

Any ideas where I should start in my search to track it down - hard to know where to begin when it can't be heard if I'm under the jeep (not brave/stupid enough to hang under it while someone drives around in left hand circles!)

Be gentle - I'm new - but at least I'm not looking for discount codes!!

what have you done to your "new" jeep to make the click? Or has it been there since you bought it? Have you tried applying the brakes while it's making the noise to see if it changes? Look around the back side of the wheel and check for clearances on everything- brake lines, ABS lines, etc. See if there is any shiny metal from tires rubbing, etc.

bahamaguy

what have you done to your "new" jeep to make the click? Or has it been there since you bought it? Have you tried applying the brakes while it's making the noise to see if it changes? Look around the back side of the wheel and check for clearances on everything- brake lines, ABS lines, etc. See if there is any shiny metal from tires rubbing, etc.

Done pretty much nothing so far - only had it a couple of weeks, but it's a 'project' jeep, so this is only one of many issues.

At the moment, unsure if coming from front or back - really hard to tell, especially here on the 'rock' as wind has picked up last few days, so noise levels high.

Definitely not wheels rubbing (stock wheels, stock tires, stock everything), but will check brake lines/ABS in morning.

Have to replace the tie rods and drag link, just waiting for a free day (no dealer in this country, and mechanics are trained by the Bahamas School of 'meh - good enough, the customer won't know, and I don't care)

Guessing tie rods and drag link wear wouldn't cause this, just trying to give all info.

Oh, and there's also no front axle shafts/diff/front driveshaft on my 'project'

Yeah.. I've got a challenge on my hands (see my welcome post for why I can't afford any other option - a new, base model jeep here, with no added extras, starts at 55k US)

jeeeep

Hooked
check the brake dust cover, if it's bent it'll make a noise, could also be a bad hub, hung brake pad...all kinds of fun stuff

you could put the front and rear axles up on jack stands so all tires are completely off the ground - make sure the fronts don't touch the groud when turning...

start the jeep, put it in 4-HI then have someone turn the wheel while you watch and listen for the noise - just be careful and don't rev it up too much

Last edited:

Moochie

I had a clicking noise once and its cause was a front axle u-joint. One of the bearing caps had disappeared from the joint.

Last edited:

BobNH

I had a clicking noise once and its cause was a front axle u-joint. One of the bearing caps had disappeared from the joint.

This ^^^ I would check your u-joints.

I would have said the same, for the same reasons, but he had noted in post #3 he is missing the components to make those sounds, My only guess would be along the lines of the brake rotor shields etc., as someone noted seeing if it goes away when pressing the brakes might head him the right way.

Done pretty much nothing so far - only had it a couple of weeks, but it's a 'project' jeep, so this is only one of many issues.

At the

Oh, and there's also no front axle shafts/diff/front driveshaft on my 'project'

Yeah.. I've got a challenge on my hands (see my welcome post for why I can't afford any other option - a new, base model jeep here, with no added extras, starts at 55k US)

Moochie

I would have said the same, for the same reasons, but he had noted in post #3 he is missing the components to make those sounds, My only guess would be along the lines of the brake rotor shields etc., as someone noted seeing if it goes away when pressing the brakes might head him the right way.

[emoji106] you are correct sir! I didn't read the post all the way through. [emoji851]

JeepJeep75

If all of the above checks out, it could be the factory ball-joints. My drivers side makes a bit of a clicking noise directly related to how the front driver tire is being pushed or pulled on from side to side. The clicking/creaking is slowly getting louder and is really noticeable when off-road. The factory ball joints are weak. They have plastic inside them that wears out quickly, especially if you take it off road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
If all of the above checks out, it could be the factory ball-joints. My drivers side makes a bit of a clicking noise directly related to how the front driver tire is being pushed or pulled on from side to side. The clicking/creaking is slowly getting louder and is really noticeable when off-road. The factory ball joints are weak. They have plastic inside them that wears out quickly, especially if you take it off road.

Are you sure it's not your axle shaft at a U joint? I had a clicking noise when my front driveshaft failed at the unjoint, different location but same concept.
IMG_3502.jpg

Top Bottom