Broken bolt on the oil pan

Andy5160

Hooked
Guys,

I fucked up today and broke the head of one of the bolts while installing EVO oil pan skid.
After Cozdude pointed me into the right direction on how to extract broken bolt I am still interested In your opinions and tools suggestions.
Ty image.jpeg

toyotire

ez outs can be your best friend or your worst enemy. If they work you love them if you break one off you hate them. the reverse drill bits work sometimes and less likely to screw it up worse. the good news is it looks like you have a straight shot at it with plenty of room so you can get a good pilot hole started. it is really vital to get the hole absolutely centered from the start.

jeeeep

Hooked
Plan C - replace the upper and lower oil pans approx. $240

install the evo skid before installing the pan assembly :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
More than likely, the remaining bolt isn't in there tight and if you try drilling it out with a right hand drill, it'll most likely back out as you drill into it. You just need to remember to drill slowly. If that doesn't work, you'll already have a hole ready for an easy out.

With that said, you're probably fine leaving it as is.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I did the same exact thing when installing my oil pan skid.. they don't need to be tightened down that much, use a torque wrench. An easy out should do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I should note that an "inch pound" torque wrench will make the job A LOT easier to hit the mark and where you know it. :yup:

SDG

Caught the Bug
I should note that an "inch pound" torque wrench will make the job A LOT easier to hit the mark and where you know it. :yup:
I would also warn people about the inch lb torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Had one I was using on this exact job, seemed to be getting real tight without clicking... put a dif socket on and tightened a skid plate bolt... it never clicked, turned it hard enough to snap the head off in the socket, not a single click!

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I did the old seat of the pants torque method. They really weren't that tight, to begin with. I went around, going across, like you do with a wheel. I tightened them just past snug.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would also warn people about the inch lb torque wrench from Harbor Freight. Had one I was using on this exact job, seemed to be getting real tight without clicking... put a dif socket on and tightened a skid plate bolt... it never clicked, turned it hard enough to snap the head off in the socket, not a single click!

In all fairness, a lot of inch pound torque wrenches will "pivot" when you get to the point you need and NOT "click". Of course, I doubt your HF torque wrench came with instructions to tell you as much. :crazyeyes:

JKU Arizona

Guys,

I fucked up today and broke the head of one of the bolts while installing EVO oil pan skid.
After Cozdude pointed me into the right direction on how to extract broken bolt I am still interested In your opinions and tools suggestions.
Ty View attachment 263555

lol, This happend to me also when i replaced the oil pan gasket. I drove it like that with no issues for a couple of months and this past weekend while I was replacing my clutch I decided to replace the rear main seal and removed the oil pan so decided to pull it out. It really isn't that hard to take out.

I used a 1/4" drill bit (dipped in tapping fluid) drilled into the bolt (not all the way thru just enought for the extractor to grab) and then used this kit - IRWIN HANSON Spiral Flute Screw Extractors, 6 Piece Set, 53545. Put the extractor on the drill gun in reverse and it pulled it out easily. You probably over tighten the bolt, it should be tight enough to drill into. Also you probably want to start with a smaller size drill bit and make sure to drill into the center.

SDG

Caught the Bug
In all fairness, a lot of inch pound torque wrenches will "pivot" when you get to the point you need and NOT "click". Of course, I doubt your HF torque wrench came with instructions to tell you as much. :crazyeyes:
That could be! I just figured it was part of China's finest!

All my bigger ones click, and the fancy ones for inch lb at work click too, so just assumed the same.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That could be! I just figured it was part of China's finest!

All my bigger ones click, and the fancy ones for inch lb at work click too, so just assumed the same.

Yep, mine do/did too. I just know this because so many people have broken oil pan bolts and a few like Sharkey figured it out. I bought a HF inch lb torque wrench to replace a broken one I had and sure enough, it just pivots. :crazyeyes:

zimm

Caught the Bug
I only own a handful of snap on tools, but one of them is a left hand set of drill bits and screw extractors. When you're dealing with a broken bolt, snapping an ez-out can ruin your day. I once had to pull an engine because an exhaust header bolt broke flush with the head and I snapped a cheap ez-out off in it.

https://store.snapon.com/Combination-Extractor-Sets-10pc-Left-Hand-Extractor-Set-P635425.aspx

And if you break an ez-out in there, then just leave it. I would only replace the pan if it starts to leak.

For an inch-pound wrench, I finally got one. Craftsman is decent, better than HF and won't kill your bank account like a snap-on or mac.

$50 with free shipping:

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-micr...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKiLmJ7swNQCFUh7AQodzvYOng

Last edited:

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
More than likely, the remaining bolt isn't in there tight and if you try drilling it out with a right hand drill, it'll most likely back out as you drill into it. You just need to remember to drill slowly. If that doesn't work, you'll already have a hole ready for an easy out.

With that said, you're probably fine leaving it as is.

*Left hand bit ;)

Andy5160

Hooked
:clap2:Thank you all for suggestions and advise :thumb::thumb:
Will order ez out kit and let's see what happens.
Damn, you guys know your easy out solutions :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom