Ace Eng Stand alone tire carrier

cocokrispes

Hey everyone.

I'm looking at getting a stand alone tire carrier and was looking at Ace Eng. I've read some mixed reviews on it. As of now i'm not going to be running anything bigger than a 35. I like the fact that you can add cans and a high lift mount to it. As well as, they just came out with a slant option for the trektop which i love the look of.

Just want to get some input before i pull the trigger. Anything would help.

Thanks,

123.jpg 1234.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right, because it's always a good idea to put something as heavy as a spare and/or gas cans higher up so that you can "raise" your center of gravity and all because it "looks" cool.

GraniteCrystal

Looks pretty sturdy, but the slant option really would be a pain. I know it'll help your departure angle, but you'll have no rear visibility and it'll suck to change a flat. That's in addition to what Eddie said about COG.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
LOL. Fair point. But even without the attachment. How is it?

Without having installed one personally to see how it mounts up to the body, it's hard to say with any real authority. If you do any hard and fast driving across the desert, I doubt it'd hold up to the abuse but if all you do is rock crawl, it'll probably be okay.

cocokrispes

OK, scratch that. LOL

Looks like i need to do more research. I eventually want a small bumper and the EVO tire carrier, but that way down the road when i get corner guards etc.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're looking for a good tire carrier that doesn't need a bumper, may I recommend you give the one made by AEV a look.

tgoss

Even Evo's hinged carrier would be a better option that TF or that Ace piece.

It's decently priced and works great.

zimm

Caught the Bug
I'm running the EVO carrier. It's great. Holds a hi lift with optional mount too.

I had a Teraflex carrier for 2 days before I removed and sold it. I didn't like how the tire mount clamped to the part on the tail gate. The hinge was nice though.

Metalcloak has a hinged tire carrier too, but no personal experience with it.

I don't like the ACE one because it's separate from the tailgate so it sticks out more. I had their bumper/carrier and while it was beefy, it was 190 pounds. I recently sold it.

Rayford85

I have that tire carrier and will be taking it off as soon as the Evo one I ordered arrives, now let me tell you why. It took 8 weeks for mine to arrive and when it did it was beat to hell from shipping ( horrible packing) sent it back and waited another 6 weeks for the second one. Now mine rattles like hell, I do have a kmc machete beadlock with 37/13.50's on it. But the way it mounts is behind your factory hinges on the passenger side and a plate to the center of the tailgate with a hiem joint holding it "tight" problem is with as heavy as the tire is plus the offset of the wheel (3.5 bs) the whole tailgate shakes in and out. Best way I can describe it is it's like the entire tailgate is rocking forward and back on the latch when hitting bumps. Called ace and they basically told me I installed a hinge bolt wrong and there was nothing they could do to remedy it. So I was pretty bummed about it and there customer service so after talking to Evo (very helpful btw) I ordered there carrier and am tossing this ace one away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I have that tire carrier and will be taking it off as soon as the Evo one I ordered arrives, now let me tell you why. It took 8 weeks for mine to arrive and when it did it was beat to hell from shipping ( horrible packing) sent it back and waited another 6 weeks for the second one. Now mine rattles like hell, I do have a kmc machete beadlock with 37/13.50's on it. But the way it mounts is behind your factory hinges on the passenger side and a plate to the center of the tailgate with a hiem joint holding it "tight" problem is with as heavy as the tire is plus the offset of the wheel (3.5 bs) the whole tailgate shakes in and out. Best way I can describe it is it's like the entire tailgate is rocking forward and back on the latch when hitting bumps. Called ace and they basically told me I installed a hinge bolt wrong and there was nothing they could do to remedy it. So I was pretty bummed about it and there customer service so after talking to Evo (very helpful btw) I ordered there carrier and am tossing this ace one away.

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wow, thanks for the honest review. It's so hard to find guys like you willing to share experiences like this.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Even if you run a 35, by the time you put 25 lbs. of gasoline & the additional weight of their mounts, it would be like the last poster saying his 37 was too heavy for it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

zimm

Caught the Bug
Not to get you worried but my evo carrier arrived beat up too. I had to touch up the powdercoat with texture black paint and don't get me started on the green packing peanuts.

Last edited:

austin160

Ive been researching tire carriers for a while, and STILL haven't decided on one yet. Right now I'm not running a spare or a bumper. My plan is to go with a body mounted carrier like MC or something and a frame box bumper. I pull a camper a lot during the summer, so I don't was a huge cage getting in the way.

I'm nervous about the hinge carriers adding extra stress to weak sheet metal. Which makes me want a cage again like EVO makes or Poison Spyder.

J

JKDream

Ive been researching tire carriers for a while, and STILL haven't decided on one yet. Right now I'm not running a spare or a bumper. My plan is to go with a body mounted carrier like MC or something and a frame box bumper. I pull a camper a lot during the summer, so I don't was a huge cage getting in the way.

I'm nervous about the hinge carriers adding extra stress to weak sheet metal. Which makes me want a cage again like EVO makes or Poison Spyder.

Really would advise staying away from the PSC carrier unless you have corners.
Even then, I would still advise going to EVO over the PSC because of the mounting points.
EVO's carrier when taking a hit directly from the rear (ie: you back into something) will push the cage outwards and against the skins.
PSC's on the other hand, transfers that hit directly into the tub.
Google it, there's been plenty of nasty damage from that carrier, and I have personally seen three separate corners completely caved in from it.

austin160

Really would advise staying away from the PSC carrier unless you have corners.
Even then, I would still advise going to EVO over the PSC because of the mounting points.
EVO's carrier when taking a hit directly from the rear (ie: you back into something) will push the cage outwards and against the skins.
PSC's on the other hand, transfers that hit directly into the tub.
Google it, there's been plenty of nasty damage from that carrier, and I have personally seen three separate corners completely caved in from it.

Good info!

Top Bottom