new or ????

wanderer

This is a just in case situation
If I have to buy a new jeep I would want as a minimum a rubicon JKU.
so where would the best place be to buy one in California? I am willing to travel.
or should I wait for the unknown a JL?

This assumes that some how jeep dealer sort of screws me on the limited life time warranty thing?

J

JKDream

This is a just in case situation
If I have to buy a new jeep I would want as a minimum a rubicon JKU.
so where would the best place be to buy one in California? I am willing to travel.
or should I wait for the unknown a JL?

This assumes that some how jeep dealer sort of screws me on the limited life time warranty thing?
I think you're jumping the gun based on the other thread. Your Jeep isn't even overheating, it's running hot because it's ridiculously hot where you live; and you're also not regeared. Mine runs hot even regeared. It's normal.

Judesign

Caught the Bug
I just bought a 17 jkur. Currently in the middle of a trip from Texas to Colorado to moab to zion and back home. Jeeps driving great with a 4"enforcer lift and 37s. With it being over 100 degrees and going over long steel inclined I've hit 3/4 on the gauge at 3500-4000rpm. Granted I'm loaded like the Beverly hillbillies. I would suggest taking a look at you're cooling system before jumping ship.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I just bought a 17 jkur. Currently in the middle of a trip from Texas to Colorado to moab to zion and back home. Jeeps driving great with a 4"enforcer lift and 37s. With it being over 100 degrees and going over long steel inclined I've hit 3/4 on the gauge at 3500-4000rpm. Granted I'm loaded like the Beverly hillbillies. I would suggest taking a look at you're cooling system before jumping ship.

This makes me feel better as well. Lately on steep climbs, 90F out, loaded up with a bunch of shit, I can feel the transmission getting warm (bedlined inside, can feel heat next to my leg when this happens). It always gets me to the top, so maybe it is normal. On cooler days with less gear, same roads, no issues. I've been thinking of ways to cool it down, but maybe it's just normal.

J

JKDream

This makes me feel better as well. Lately on steep climbs, 90F out, loaded up with a bunch of shit, I can feel the transmission getting warm (bedlined inside, can feel heat next to my leg when this happens). It always gets me to the top, so maybe it is normal. On cooler days with less gear, same roads, no issues. I've been thinking of ways to cool it down, but maybe it's just normal.
Assuming you're talking about the JK and not the WJ it actually says in the manual anything from 1/4 to 3/4 is within the operating temperature. Pretty much as long as your hot oil light isn't on its normal.

Judesign

Caught the Bug

You probably know more about this than me but from what I've read they 3.6 runs hotter intentionally than the 3.8 due to new emissions requirements. I.e. The cooling fan kicks in at 226 degrees. I also read the temp sensor is a different style electrically and thus isn't compatible with aftermarket tuners lowering the temp the cooling fans kick in. I'm just not used to seeing the needle move at all and it freaks me out. But honestly this is worst case scenario with it over 100F outside and up a long slope. Hasn't gone into limp and as long as I watch the rpm and don't try to do 80+ I'm cool. The trans temp also never goes above 165 on me so I guess ill just keep an eye on it. Lastly while wheeling if 4l and low gear it never budged so I'm assuming this is just characteristic of the 3.6.

WJCO

Meme King
Assuming you're talking about the JK and not the WJ it actually says in the manual anything from 1/4 to 3/4 is within the operating temperature. Pretty much as long as your hot oil light isn't on its normal.

It's on the WJ. The temp gauge never goes above 210, but I can feel that transmission heat. Just makes me feel better that if a brand new jk has rising temps in these conditions here, my trans issue may just be normal. We pulled the carpet on it right away when we bought it, so I never had a chance to see if I would have even noticed prior.

WJCO

Meme King
You probably know more about this than me but from what I've read they 3.6 runs hotter intentionally than the 3.8 due to new emissions requirements. I.e. The cooling fan kicks in at 226 degrees. I also read the temp sensor is a different style electrically and thus isn't compatible with aftermarket tuners lowering the temp the cooling fans kick in. I'm just not used to seeing the needle move at all and it freaks me out. But honestly this is worst case scenario with it over 100F outside and up a long slope. Hasn't gone into limp and as long as I watch the rpm and don't try to do 80+ I'm cool. The trans temp also never goes above 165 on me so I guess ill just keep an eye on it. Lastly while wheeling if 4l and low gear it never budged so I'm assuming this is just characteristic of the 3.6.

I didn't know that but not surprised. When the cylinder head issue first started coming up, the only thing I remember that Chrysler found (or admitted to) was that poor heat dissipation around the valve seats was causing the misfires.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it's totally normal for a 3.6L to run "hot". This is NOT the same as "overheating". The needle will move a lot and that's normal.

zimm

Caught the Bug
While pulling my camper up a 6% grade over a mountain pass in 90+ degree heat last weekend, I was maintaining 65mph at 4500rpm (3rd gear) on cruise control. I watched the needle head towards 3/4 mark and stayed there. Dash readout showed 240 degrees. As soon as the road leveled off, it dropped right back down. I could have let off, but I used it as an experiment to see if it would overheat. It didn't.

Top Bottom