Transmission oilpan removal

Azblackdog13

Help me out guys. I am servicing the auto trans on my 2013 JK Sport Unltd. filter and fluid. Cannot get the pan to clear exhaust for removal. Any tips?

ScoobyCarolanNC

Help me out guys. I am servicing the auto trans on my 2013 JK Sport Unltd. filter and fluid. Cannot get the pan to clear exhaust for removal. Any tips?

I did mine a year ago so my memory is foggy, but the exhaust shouldn't be over the pan. Are you talking about the bar that goes from one side of the frame to the other? That's a crash bar that is removed with an 18mm socket. Send a pic if you can.

Frydaddy

Ill Just Quote myself from a forum post the other day, enjoy...

Oh yea, the 42RLE is WORLDS easier than the WA580. Just drop the pan and thats it, two tricky bolts is all.

The Mercedes WA580 on the other hand...

First off, the pan isnt bolted on, its clamped, with fucking torx bolts and some stupid lip clamps. The last torx bolt cant be reached with any mortal-mans tools.

Then you gotta drain the fucker by cracking one side, pretty standard for trannys, but it all dribbles to the rear, where it hits the fucking crossmember and runs everywhere.

Then you still cant get it out because the fucking exhaust crossover needs moved. Yes, the god damn exhaust pipe needs fucking pulled. Pray to whatever god you want that those five bolts arent seized.

Then after all thats done, you still have two quarts of fluid in the pan you have to support with one hand, while pulling down on the exhaust with the other to get it down and forward about two feet. THEN you can dump it.

Oh, and the fucking swiss-cheeze crossmember now covered in fluid? its going to drip for days!

ok, my rant is over. Its an interesting change in tranny pan design, but terrible follow through.

From the thread https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/46654-Tranny-pan-tapped-for-drain-plug

sgt381fl

I too have a '13 JKU. I replaced my oil pan a year ago. Like others have mentioned, it's a real pain. I did remove the cross member just to get to one or two bolts. Be patient. My biggest worry was breaking off the bolts or not tightening them enuff. Be patient.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom