ABS/ESC lights on

MTG

Caught the Bug
I've recentered steering wheel.
Checked J6 fuse.
Visually inspected speed sensor plugs and wiring. (though I did not pull the plugs off)

I'm thinking a bad speed sensor, but what else should I look at?

Jeep drives straight. My tie rod is slightly bent...meaning my toe in will be slightly off, but that has been like that for a while.

It is allegedly still under warranty...cough, cough, :cheesy:...but I'd like to avoid a trip to the dealer if possible.

Thoughts?

Edit: they both come on when I start the jeep but do not go off. Computer shows "system ok"

Last edited:

TacPen

Banned
I had this issue when I took a whack and my steering got out of line. I re-centered the steering wheel but had to pull the battery (not just the fuse) connection and to clear the code. Once I hooked it back up I drove it for a few minutes and the light went off.

rinkishjk

Did u do the key trick to see if there is a code?
Edit... Okay. U might need an advanced scanner that can get into the abs/central gateway in the system and there is probably a code in the abs. Sometimes those codes won't show up on a standard scanner.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
As mentioned, it can take some time for the lights to go off. If you want to hurry it along, disconnect your neg battery lead for 15 min or so. That'll get it to go off. If it comes back on after that, you probably have a bad speed sensor but, I doubt it.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Did u do the key trick to see if there is a code?
Edit... Okay. U might need an advanced scanner that can get into the abs/central gateway in the system and there is probably a code in the abs. Sometimes those codes won't show up on a standard scanner.

No codes.

MTG

Caught the Bug
As mentioned, it can take some time for the lights to go off. If you want to hurry it along, disconnect your neg battery lead for 15 min or so. That'll get it to go off. If it comes back on after that, you probably have a bad speed sensor but, I doubt it.

Forgot to add that I did disconnect the battery. Didn't time it, but I think it was longer than 15.

Edit: Disconnected the battery again. I'll time it and drive it longer than around the block.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
Thought of something else. A couple times in the past month when coming to a stop it felt like the ABS system was activated. The ESC light would flash and then go off. This is on dry pavement. :thinking:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thought of something else. A couple times in the past month when coming to a stop it felt like the ABS system was activated. The ESC light would flash and then go off. This is on dry pavement. :thinking:

Well, that would be normal if your steering wheel was off or, if you have a bad speed sensor. You're sure that your steering wheel is dead on, right?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Well, that would be normal if your steering wheel was off or, if you have a bad speed sensor. You're sure that your steering wheel is dead on, right?

I thought so, but I'll check it again when I can reconnect the battery and drive it.

Are those the only two options or just the most likely?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I thought so, but I'll check it again when I can reconnect the battery and drive it.

Are those the only two options or just the most likely?

Most likely. It is possible that your clock spring is bad but, that usually brings up an airbag light as well.

GCM 2

I have the same lights, but my Flashpaq tuner was reading that a wheel sensor was out. Changed the $20 part and no lights. The wheel sensor is an easy change on a ProRock, not sure about stock Dana's

MTG

Caught the Bug
So I thought I would outsmart my jeep and use my fancy AEV Procal to recenter the steering wheel this time. I figure even if it doesn't look centered at least that is where the jeep thinks it should be right? Anyway, got it all tightened down and the lights are still on. Guess a trip to the stealership is in order. Hopefully they can at least tell me which one. I might stop by the autoparts store first and see if their scanners can tell me which one.

MTG

Caught the Bug
I have the same lights, but my Flashpaq tuner was reading that a wheel sensor was out. Changed the $20 part and no lights. The wheel sensor is an easy change on a ProRock, not sure about stock Dana's

Not sure either. Looks like I might get to find out. ;)

Hopefully it is something simple like that and not something more serious.

jeffj

Caught the Bug
MTG said:
So I thought I would outsmart my jeep and use my fancy AEV Procal to recenter the steering wheel this time. I figure even if it doesn't look centered at least that is where the jeep thinks it should be right? Anyway, got it all tightened down and the lights are still on. Guess a trip to the stealership is in order. Hopefully they can at least tell me which one. I might stop by the autoparts store first and see if their scanners can tell me which one.

The pro cal really doesn't center your steering wheel unless your wheels are perfectly straight ahead. It took me a few try's. if you use it on an alignment machine when they have the wheels straight you can get it perfect.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Just to follow up. Found a pinched wire loom and upon further inspection saw that the wires inside were cut. This was the ABS/ESP wire to the rear driver side wheel. A little splice and some weatherproof connectors and she is good to go.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1363232852.210130.jpg

Top Bottom