Popping out of first gear

Trail JK

My Jeep needs some maintenance love it pops out of first gear often and sometimes out of third too. It also heats up and I mean HOT after its been driven for about an hour. The temp indicator is fine it's heats inside the jeep just under my shifter center consul area. I'm wondering if it could be due a bent transmission cross member? I'm not sure if it's bent due to being high centered on trail runs in the past or not? Has anyone seen this before? Could this be the problem? I'm being told it does looks a bit high. Or maybe it's the syncros in the transmission; any ideas would be helpful? I'll add some pics.

Last edited:

Trail JK

Here are a couple of pics... Would be nice if someone could post a similar pic of their Jeep in this area that hasn't been hammered on like mine has so I can compare the two photos.

image-2128829890.jpg

image-1795735937.jpg

jab1472

Mine pops out of gear to first gear sometimes 3rd when it does in first gear it sounds violent I have even replaced the inner boot it still does it I'm stumped can't figure it out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Trail JK

Mine pops out of gear to first gear sometimes 3rd when it does in first gear it sounds violent I have even replaced the inner boot it still does it I'm stumped can't figure it out

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

I've been reading and we're not alone on this. I've read it could be a fork inside the tranny, the inner boot may not be seated correctly (I'm thinking this is causing the heat problem in mine), there is a bearing race in first gear that cracks. I'm not under warranty but maybe you are? I've also read that it could be the synchronizer in the transmission. I'm attaching a TSM from the dealership on the problem. Looks like I need to take mine to the dealership.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361046829.279650.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1361046845.139369.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I've been reading and we're not alone on this. I've read it could be a fork inside the tranny, the inner boot may not be seated correctly (I'm thinking this is causing the heat problem in mine), there is a bearing race in first gear that cracks. I'm not under warranty but maybe you are? I've also read that it could be the synchronizer in the transmission. I'm attaching a TSM from the dealership on the problem. Looks like I need to take mine to the dealership.
View attachment 16004 View attachment 16005

Do you still have warranty? I'm out of warranty (2nd owner) I've read the TSB and experienced a pop several times. Feels like you got rear ended and sounds terrible.

Trail JK

Do you still have warranty? I'm out of warranty (2nd owner) I've read the TSB and experienced a pop several times. Feels like you got rear ended and sounds terrible.

I'm out of warranty. Still need to get this fixed. My tranny is also making a screeching sound. I'm not sure if I should just replace the transmission or have it fixed. I read that the new transmissions are making a drumming sound. Nonetheless, looks like I'm going to be emptying my pocket soon. :icon_crazy:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I'm out of warranty. Still need to get this fixed. My tranny is also making a screeching sound. I'm not sure if I should just replace the transmission or have it fixed. I read that the new transmissions are making a drumming sound. Nonetheless, looks like I'm going to be emptying my pocket soon. :icon_crazy:

Keep me posted. I have a fairly low mileage 07 and would like to see how things pan out for you. Thanks and good luck!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you're out of warranty, the TSB will cost you upwards of $2k to get fixed. Ask me how I know :rolleyes2:

Trail JK

If you're out of warranty, the TSB will cost you upwards of $2k to get fixed. Ask me how I know :rolleyes2:

I read your comments about a noise coming from your new tranny. Do you think I should try and have mine repaired or just go with a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I read your comments about a noise coming from your new tranny. Do you think I should try and have mine repaired or just go with a new one?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

After all the headachs I've had to deal with trying to get our new tranny fixed, I'd say you might be better off just getting the TSB performed.

alpinhi

My wife had a 07 JKU that had this issue. It was 1250.00 to fix it at the dealer. I tried to get some other estimates, but no one wanted to touch it. Sounds like the price varies from dealer to dealer. I had it fixed because I was afraid she would try to get across traffic and have it pop out. It not just the JK's, 05 & 06 TJ's have been having the same issue.

Last edited:

Trail JK

View attachment 16004 View attachment 16005

Update
The Jeep has been at the dealership for a week and it looks like it will be another week. They thought it was just the boot.. I knew it wasn't but the boot needed to be replaced anyhow it was torn from sitting wrong and when I pulled back the rubber on the shifter I could see straight though to the ground. The boot was visibly warn. They drove the Jeep without the boot and it was popping out of first so they are pulling out the tranny to check the synchronizer. I will keep you all updated.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Update
The Jeep has been at the dealership for a week and it looks like it will be another week. They thought it was just the boot.. I knew it wasn't but the boot needed to be replaced anyhow it was torn from sitting wrong and when I pulled back the rubber on the shifter I could see straight though to the ground. The boot was visibly warn. They drove the Jeep without the boot and it was popping out of first so they are pulling out the tranny to check the synchronizer. I will keep you all updated.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

That sucks! Hope it works out. I got rid of my "poppy" JK and went with and auto. Can't believe they beat around the bush so much when this is a know problem!

dinojeep

After all the headachs I've had to deal with trying to get our new tranny fixed, I'd say you might be better off just getting the TSB performed.

Your having problems with you 12 dozer tranny?

I had the popping out of first gear problem on my 09 Rubi. Had the synchros replaced under warranty. Wasn't easy though, had to fight with the dealer because they couldn't duplicate the problem. However they did finally do it.

Trail JK

Update... Jeep is home

Just wanted to give you an update if you are following. The dealer had my Jeep for three weeks while they replaced the boot gear, first/third gear, synchro, and water pump. After I brought the Jeep home it continued to pop out of 1st and 3rd so back to the dealer I went. I was told that they removed the aftermarket switch panel mounted in front of my shifter (used for my rock lights & spot lights) and the result was that the Jeep was no longer popping out of gears. I picked up the Jeep with the switch panel removed and I haven't had a problem. I still need to relocate the switch panel but I would seem that this was a cause. I wish I would have done this before have the work done... I'm not sure if the switch panel was the only cause or not. If so, I could have saved $$$$. Thought I'd keep eveyone in the loop as the switch panel is a very common mod.

Top Bottom