Broke something...

JKBANDIT55

I noticed while I was under the jeep getting ready to dico my JKS links that the Dranglink/pitman arm(I think thats what it is) is ripped.

Now what causes this and what do I need to replace?
Thanks

DD3690F6-82ED-4908-B475-5407228DB1E8-7529-000005ADAFC08D2D_zpsce258f40.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming the ball joint is in good shape, it's not that big of a deal that the boot ripped. Unfortunately, there is no factory replacement for it. You can probably find a polyurethane replacement boot at your local autoparts store but, you will need to separate the draglink TRE from the pitman arm to do it. You will need a pickle fork for this and it's kind of a pain to do.

JKBANDIT55

Assuming the ball joint is in good shape, it's not that big of a deal that the boot ripped. Unfortunately, there is no factory replacement for it. You can probably find a polyurethane replacement boot at your local autoparts store but, you will need to separate the draglink TRE from the pitman arm to do it. You will need a pickle fork for this and it's kind of a pain to do.

Thanks Eddie! Will I be ok to drive like this for a while? Sounds like a PITA. Does a new drag link come with this boot? If anything Ill take it to the dealer but, Im not sure if Ill get flagged for having only a 2.5" lift with 35s...

Thanks again:beer:

Miramontes

If I remember correctly I had to press this out when I replaced the pitmen arm when I did my lift. It was a pain to get it off. Thank God for Autozone. They will let you borrow the puller.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Eddie! Will I be ok to drive like this for a while? Sounds like a PITA. Does a new drag link come with this boot? If anything Ill take it to the dealer but, Im not sure if Ill get flagged for having only a 2.5" lift with 35s...

Thanks again:beer:

The boot is just there to keep the grease inside the TRE. Try not to let this run dry and you'll be fine driving like this for a while. A new pitman side factory drag link end will come with a new boot. I say it this way because the two halves are sold separately.

JKBANDIT55

The boot is just there to keep the grease inside the TRE. Try not to let this run dry and you'll be fine driving like this for a while. A new pitman side factory drag link end will come with a new boot. I say it this way because the two halves are sold separately.

OK thanks a lot! oh and do you you guys know what causes this?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
OK thanks a lot! oh and do you you guys know what causes this?

Typically, trying to separate the TRE from the pitman arm :crazyeyes:

Aside from that, time, flexing out and working your steering at the same time will wear out the boot. Nothing lasts forever.

JKBANDIT55

Things may have changed but, I wanna say it's about $120.

Sweet thats not as bad as I was thinking.

I guess Ill just try and get by with it like this during winter. Before my first trail run in the summer I will get this fixed if it lasts that long.

JKBANDIT55

So I got the part. But I can't get the old one off...

The nut in this pic is the one I took off but still can't get the part to come off that thing it's bolted to. Do I need to loosen the 2 bolts on the clamp threads that connects this to the drag link first? I even tried a crow bar.

image-3695891116.jpg

Here's what the new one looks like

image-610475644.jpg

Ya that wont just drop out after some soft petting. You need to beat it out with a BFH or the like. You can probably borrow a pickle fork from auto zone or your local parts supplier.

rinkishjk

Bfh on the pitman arm, or a pickle fork like the others said. U could also hit it on top with a long prybar, or something. The end is a tapered fit into the pitman arm and u just gotta hit it like ya mean it!
U will have to loosen the bolts on the clamp to change the end.
Count the turns u make to remove it, and then install the new one the same amount of turns.

JKBANDIT55

So I got the new end link on now steering wheel is off half a turn and causing ESP to go off. How do I center it real quick? Thanks guys

Top Bottom