Keep getting throttle control dash light

silverbackjk

Every so often my dash light looks like lightning bolt and traction control light come on at the same time and I loose all throttle control? Any ideas what is going on with this?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I turned mine off and turned it on and that light and reaction control went off. Check engine stayed on though. I reset the battery and check engine turned off.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Check engine is typically an emissions related issue and more times than not, related to your EVAP canister. The lighting bolt is an ETC issue and sometimes, leakage from a CB coax cable too close to the accelerator can trigger it. Sometimes, it's just a bad wiring harness or issue with the throttle. I might have a dealership use a scan tool to figure that one out. The traction control light is typically a steering wheel not centered issue but, if it persists even after resetting the computer, you might have a bad speed sensor.

silverbackjk

Check engine is typically an emissions related issue and more times than not, related to your EVAP canister. The lighting bolt is an ETC issue and sometimes, leakage from a CB coax cable too close to the accelerator can trigger it. Sometimes, it's just a bad wiring harness or issue with the throttle. I might have a dealership use a scan tool to figure that one out. The traction control light is typically a steering wheel not centered issue but, if it persists even after resetting the computer, you might have a bad speed sensor.

Thanks Eddie when I get back home I will make an appointment at the dealer.

roguejeep008

I cleaned my Throttle Body today and did this with out disconnecting the battery. I now have the same 2 lights and had a tech check to see what codes were being thrown. He said my throttle positioning sensor was not getting a reading. He suggested I disconnect the battery over night to reset the computer. Is there another way to reset my computer so it will correct this. I cleaned the throttle body and replaced the gasket spacer and now I sound like I'm idling a harley that will not go over 25 mph

roguejeep008

I'm going to leave it alone but there are just so many jokes that could be posted back. ;) :cheesy:

Why not offer some assistance to someone who is obviously here looking for just that. I know very little about engines and was told this would be a simple fix and a lot cheaper to do on my own.

I had the battery disconnected for over 4 hrs, went back out and at first, things seemed to be ok but, then it all started again and seemed to actually be worse this time around. Idling very rough and not revving over 3k.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
You only need to disconnect the battery for 15 minutes to reset the computer so I don't know why the tech told you overnight. :thinking: but I don't know about your idle issue.

roguejeep008

What codes is it throwing. The rough idle almost sounds like a vacuum leak.

I don't know what code he said it was. He checked for leaks there were none. When he hooked back up it was not registering anything on the TPS. (I'm mechanically stupid)

Top Bottom