An Exercise in Concept

PlenaBarba

Reliable, Low (in height and cost), & Capable: Can it be done well on a budget?

Recently I've been seeing a lot of inspiring belly draggers, Vengeance being one of them. Rigs built low with big tires. I myself have a 2.5 inch lift and 35s, pretty standard for a starting place. Knowing what I do now, I might have started a little different.

Since, I don't have much of a building budget, I sometimes think about what exactly I could do with close to stock components to build something that would still fit a nice sized tire: 35-37" on jeep with minimal modifications and money spent but that would still be capable and reliable.

A few things come to mind:

1) I know 4 doors are popular, but I think 2dr for its shorter wheel base with minimal lift might fit the ticket a littler better for capability. Less chance of getting hung up on the belly.

2) You still need articulation, so getting the wheel wells open is a must and making it easier for the suspension to flex is required too.

3) If you are going to be running a 35-37, axle reinforcement is a must.

4) Light weight is always better.

SO, with all that in mind, here is what I propose. Remember, this is just an exercise.

For Starters: 2 door Rubicon (44 front and rear, lockers, lower transfer case)

Suspension: EDIT: Leveling kit, spring retainers and long travel shocks.
$1000

Tires and wheels: 35 or 37 of your choice on wheels of your choice with 2''+ spacers
$2500

Opening up the wheel wells: With the bigger tire and added travel, more space is needed. It's got to look good too huh? EVO hood and fender for the front. The rear is going to be a bit more difficult. Either custom corners, or simply chop the stock fenders and do lots of trimming.
$1200

Drive train: Stock with either sleeves and/or truss and gussets
$300

Total expense on top of Vehicle sticker: $5000.00

What do you think?

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a bad setup and it'll get the job done. The bigger tires on a 2-door will give you great breakover angles and for cheap. The only thing you would lack is good articulation.

PlenaBarba

It's not a bad setup and it'll get the job done. The bigger tires on a 2-door will give you great breakover angles and for cheap. The only thing you would lack is good articulation.

My original plan was to use Currie's long travel kit, then I realized it was just a glorified spacer kit. . . I was hoping the long travel would give a little more articulation and the retainers would keep the springs in place.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
My original plan was to use Currie's long travel kit, then I realized it was just a glorified spacer kit. . . I was hoping the long travel would give a little more articulation and the retainers would keep the springs in place.

The only thing that will give you more travel is running longer shocks. Unfortunately, you can't really do that unless you have more lift OR, run coil overs which have new mounting points higher up than factory.

GCM 2

Just to keep it in perspective, realize that both Vengeance, and the more recently built EVO TJ, both have stretched wheelbases which puts them closer to length a 4 door. This contributes just as much as the lowered center gravity stance. ;)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just to keep it in perspective, realize that both Vengeance, and the more recently built EVO TJ, both have stretched wheelbases which puts them closer to length a 4 door. This contributes just as much as the lowered center gravity stance. ;)

Indeed! That is a very important detail that definitely needs to be pointed out. Thanks for bringing that up :thumb:

GCM 2

Indeed! That is a very important detail that definitely needs to be pointed out. Thanks for bringing that up :thumb:

You got it! This is why I have always wanted an LJ. Pretty close to being the best of both worlds if you don't plan on having 4 passengers

Top Bottom