Ball joint replacement

sinawalli

I may be replacing my ball joints on my 2013 JKUR 4 door. Is it a hard job? Can it be done at home? Can't afford Dynatracs, so it's either Teraflex or Synergy! Recommendations? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MTG

Caught the Bug
It is a pretty time consuming job, but easily done at home. Plenty of write-ups and videos on how to do it. There are better/less expensive option than the last two you mentioned. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TrailHunter

Hooked
Snap-on BJP1 Ball Joint Press Master Kit is a great investment... I picked one up this year and it makes replacing ball joints a breeze.... a cheap press tends to bend and can make the job more difficult. They can be found on ebay cheaper for about $500 vs $700 new. I wish I would have bought it years ago.

J

JKDream

Honestly it's totally worth saving and going with Dynatracs. I went through two aftermarket sets (Synergy) before I built my Prorock, and now with quite a few miles they're still tight. My last set of Synergy had slop with less than 10,000km. The money saved from not having my expensive tires cupped from camber makes up for the extra cost anyway.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Local Jeep shop here told me they have had to warranty every Synergy BJ they've installed, so they switched to TeraFlex, zero issues.

Being that they are both made by the same Chinese manufacturer, I find that difficult to believe. Sounds more like they either stock TeraFlex joints or make more profit off of them and are just giving you a sales pitch.

Honestly it's totally worth saving and going with Dynatracs. I went through two aftermarket sets (Synergy) before I built my Prorock, and now with quite a few miles they're still tight. My last set of Synergy had slop with less than 10,000km. The money saved from not having my expensive tires cupped from camber makes up for the extra cost anyway.

This ^^^

ProSteers cost more for a reason - they are designed better, stronger and made in the USA. They have a totally different method of operation in that they have a bottom joint that allows pivot and a top joint that goes up and down AND pivots. This helps keep the ball joints aligned with each other without binding. Other ball joints only have a bottom joint that pivots and a top joint that allows up and down motion but no pivot.

Top Bottom