Mud Flaps in Moab Easter Jeep Safari?

deepwater

I'm going to EJS in March of this year and I read in an article that you had better have mud flaps on or you will be ticketed in Utah.

My 08 2 door is lifted 5" on 37's with ~1.5" sticking out of the stock fenders.
I am thinking of putting flaps on just for this trip, but would like to avoid the hassle.

What is anybody's actual experience with this?
Have you been ticketed?
Do you need flaps front and rear?
What did the ticket cost? (might be cheaper paying a ticket than buying/building flaps)

Same law here in Cali but I haven't been bothered in 4 years... yet.

Mike

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
THe teraflex ones are only $100 and removable. I plan to get them as cheap insurance as its not if you get pulled over it's when.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yeah, you definitely need them as every LEO in the state of Utah is out in force during that week. As mentioned, I would recommend the TeraFlex quick disconnect mud flaps.

Chiromancer

Oh yeah, you definitely need them as every LEO in the state of Utah is out in force during that week. As mentioned, I would recommend the TeraFlex quick disconnect mud flaps.

If you have a stock rubicon (my mods are lazy, it's not me!!!) do you still need mud flaps in Utah?

deepwater

Wow, thanks for the quick response. I saw your mud flap writeup in Project-JK and am thinking of going that route.

Mike

GCM 2

On road tirps anywhere out of my state of AZ, I pack my quick release mud flaps inside my jeep. I am in and out of California and I always have them onboard the rig there, not always running them though. Better to have and not need ;)

gouacats

I think I'll take my chances on this one, but what do you think about a mildly lifted JK? Mines on 33s that stick out about 1-1.5" with a 2.5" lift. I would imagine that I would look fairly stock compared to most of the vehicles out there. Should I chance it?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'll take my chances on this one, but what do you think about a mildly lifted JK? Mines on 33s that stick out about 1-1.5" with a 2.5" lift. I would imagine that I would look fairly stock compared to most of the vehicles out there. Should I chance it?

You'll most likely be fine.

moparnation

I'll be taking a trip out that way in April, I have cut fenders and 35's and you can pretty much see my whole tire from behind but I'll be pulling a popup camper and dropping it before wheeling.

What's your thoughts eddie?

If I have too I'll rig up some disco flaps but id rather not if I can avoid it

sent from my talkitty box

MTG

Caught the Bug
I went last year with 315s (small 35s) and stock fenders. Did not have a problem. That's not to say I couldn't have been ticketed. Honestly, for the hassle and the worry, spend at most $100 and not worry about it.

Skirmish

Here is how the code is written in UT if you are wondering.

41-6a-1633. Mudguards or flaps at rear wheels of trucks, trailers, truck tractors, or altered motor vehicles -- Exemptions.
(1) (a) Except as provided in Subsection (2), when operated on a highway, the following vehicles shall be equipped with wheel covers, mudguards, flaps, or splash aprons behind the rearmost wheels to prevent, as far as practicable, the wheels from throwing dirt, water, or other materials on other vehicles:
(i) a vehicle that has been altered:
(A) from the original manufacturer's frame height; or
(B) in any other manner so that the motor vehicle's wheels may throw dirt, water, or other materials on other vehicles;
(ii) any truck with a gross vehicle weight rating of 10,500 pounds or more;
(iii) any truck tractor; and
(iv) any trailer or semitrailer with an unladen weight of 750 pounds or more.
(b) The wheel covers, mudguards, flaps, or splash aprons shall:
(i) be at least as wide as the tires they are protecting;
(ii) be directly in line with the tires; and
(iii) have a ground clearance of not more than 50% of the diameter of a rear-axle wheel, under any conditions of loading of the motor vehicle.

highwayman

Why I'm here...

Who woulda thought. Living in the land of enchantment / entrapment I never thought of needing mud flaps. :thinking: That's why I joined this site...
Thanks for sharing, from the nfg.
b

Top Bottom