Brake pads

metalic

Time to replace rear pads again and looking for Best option.
I'd like to go with the progrip system but don't plan on staying in 44s and don't want to spend that only to replace

Do the EBC or Hawk pads provide any better stopping over a parts store replacement?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
I'd like to go with the progrip system but don't plan on staying in 44s and don't want to spend that only to replace

Do the EBC or Hawk pads provide any better stopping over a parts store replacement?

Thanks

I just used a good pad from Advanced Auto or Autozone. Rears wear really quickly, anyway.

jeeeep

Hooked

Thanks

EBC does, not sure about Hawk. I've found the Wagner OEx brake pads do an great job with little brake dust.

I have ProGrips on running 37's and the pads that came with the kit worked great but they left some serious brake dust.

IMO the Wagner OEx stop just as well without the brake dust.

I'd recommend if you're running a 35 or greater the ProGrip are the way to go.

I ran PowerStop with 315's towing a trailer and while they stopped much better over stock, once the ProGrip came out it was night and day.

metalic

EBC does, not sure about Hawk. I've found the Wagner OEx brake pads do an great job with little brake dust.

I have ProGrips on running 37's and the pads that came with the kit worked great but they left some serious brake dust.

IMO the Wagner OEx stop just as well without the brake dust.

I'd recommend if you're running a 35 or greater the ProGrip are the way to go.

I ran PowerStop with 315's towing a trailer and while they stopped much better over stock, once the ProGrip came out it was night and day.
Not going to disagree with going with dynatrac other than dropping a grand on them only to get rid of them later. I've dropped too much at 44s the way it is and don't need to go deeper. If a set of pads coat an extra Jackson or so and give me a lil better braking I would. If not I'll stick with a stick parts store replacement like I've used in the past.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
Not going to disagree with going with dynatrac other than dropping a grand on them only to get rid of them later. I've dropped too much at 44s the way it is and don't need to go deeper. If a set of pads coat an extra Jackson or so and give me a lil better braking I would. If not I'll stick with a stick parts store replacement like I've used in the past.

I guess I'm missing the point why you would get rid of them later?

I plan to put a set on my daughter's stock jeep and I've still got the stock brackets from my Jeep in the event I trade or sell it, easy swap.

jeeeep

Hooked
Will progrip pads not work with oem brackets/calipers? You're only shopping pads right?

pads on ProGrip are same size as OEM, only change with ProGrip is the larger disc and caliper bracket that moves the caliper out.

it's a leverage math thing lol

The Wagner pads I mentioned work as well as the ProGrip supplied brake pads but with less dust.

one of the differences I noticed with the ProGrip is emergency braking is flat - no nose dive.

when the Jeep is modded and weighs a lot more than stock, being able to brake flat in an emergency keeps the brown pants at bay.

JAGS

Hooked
pads on ProGrip are same size as OEM, only change with ProGrip is the larger disc and caliper bracket that moves the caliper out.

it's a leverage math thing lol

The Wagner pads I mentioned work as well as the ProGrip supplied brake pads but with less dust.

one of the differences I noticed with the ProGrip is emergency braking is flat - no nose dive.

when the Jeep is modded and weighs a lot more than stock, being able to brake flat in an emergency keeps the brown pants at bay.

Hmmm. So the progrip pads are not proprietary to the progrip system?

I've been under the impression you had to use their pads.

How much are the wagners?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

It is a proprietary pad material but it is the same size pad as what the oem pads are.

Jackal01

I would keep progrips as an option since they fit. I don't have the PG system but I plan to do all progrip pads in a few months. $60 for a set isn't that bad albeit more, if not the most expensive, from the quick search I did on advanced auto parts site.

JAGS

Hooked
It is a proprietary pad material but it is the same size pad as what the oem pads are.

So size doesn't matter, it's how it's made. I'll share that with my wife. Been telling her that for years. [emoji23]

How are PG pads holding up?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
The ProGrip pads are proprietary and designed to work specifically with their proprietary rotors. They are the same size as OE and in a pinch, you could run standard JK pads on them. That being said, I don't think running ProGrip pads on OE rotor will improve stopping power.

To the OP, I have always found that running Mopar OE pads or OE equivalents from Napa or the like work best.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Data point- My progrip rears are worn out with 17,000 miles on them. New pads going in this weekend.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Data point- My progrip rears are worn out with 17,000 miles on them. New pads going in this weekend.

Rear pads wearing out rapidly is common and even normal with OE pads and it is caused by the ABS system. Pads that don't wear out are pads that don't provide good adhesion - i.e., they don't provide good stopping power.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Rear pads wearing out rapidly is common and even normal with OE pads and it is caused by the ABS system. Pads that don't wear out are pads that don't provide good adhesion - i.e., they don't provide good stopping power.

Lol. Another hazard of owning these wonderful vehicles, we love so much!

feederic

I was starting to research some pads after hearing my rears squeal with ~ 20k miles on them. At first I thought maybe a rock was in there, but it sounds like this is a normal change interval for them.

BobNH

I'd been wondering about this, and it makes sense, though the rears wearing much faster doesn't seem to relate to being ABS alone, so my thoughts now lean towards the ABS plus the BDL system for slippage of the rear wheels. I have found that the light doesn't come on instantly when they actuate, so I figure there has to be a bunch of times it has actuated imperceptibly, which would cause them to wear more quickly than the fronts.
Just my opinion on it, still getting used to the whole JK format.

jeeeep

Hooked

the pads are oem fit- the material looks to be EBC but as others have mentioned, possibly propriety for Dynatrac

Wagners front and rear total around $135 - about the same price as ProGrip replacements

metalic

I guess I'm missing the point why you would get rid of them later?

I plan to put a set on my daughter's stock jeep and I've still got the stock brackets from my Jeep in the event I trade or sell it, easy swap.
I don't plan on staying 5 lug so I don't see the point in dropping a grand only to have to seek them later.

metalic

To the OP, I have always found that running Mopar OE pads or OE equivalents from Napa or the like work best.

I have a 100k on the jeep and have tried a few different parts store replacements but haven't tried Napa or have I tried some of these more expensive brands that claim better braking. Just thought for the few extra bucks if they did stop better it would be worth it. I'll give Napa pads a spin and see.

Top Bottom