Locker and steering problems

rubi-8

Is there a decent 4x4 shop in the Reno, Carson City area that deals with front axle locker and steering problems? The locker won"t disengage right away and the steering locks up. I have 35" and they tell me to get a ram assist steering, but I know many jeep owners who don't use it and their steering is fine. I've checked a couple of shops and the dealership and the problem still exist so I was hoping for another place to take it. By the way, Jeep installed a new steering box to no avail.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just so that we're all on the same page here, it can be VERY DIFFICULT to steer when your lockers are engaged. You should NEVER run your lockers while on pavement. It can take some time for the factory e-locker to disengage - this is TOTALLY NORMAL.

SDG

Caught the Bug
Just so that we're all on the same page here, it can be VERY DIFFICULT to steer when your lockers are engaged. You should NEVER run your lockers while on pavement. It can take some time for the factory e-locker to disengage - this is TOTALLY NORMAL.
This! I remember 15 to 20 feet not being unusual before it got unbound and was able to unlock.

J

JKDream

Yep. Truth be told, a ram assist is actually the only way you will steer locked if you have traction.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
lockers will not unlock (disengage) if your wheels are not straight and then it takes a few feet of rolling straight to unlock them.

ram assist makes it easier to steer with front lockers on but it does not change when the lockers will disengage.

wjtstudios

Hooked
You should not need a ram assist anyway to turn 35s locked up. Upgrade your steering gear to the PSC Big Bore XDll and it will help tremendously when you are locked up off road.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom